Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 08-24-2013, 10:02 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
New TiVo waiting at home! Hopefully swapping out old TiVo's M-Card into the Roamio will be enough to get it to work. I really don't want to have to wait until a Comcast tech moron can be shipped out.
Smooth as butter! Love this thing!

Glad I got the Roamio Plus too - the iOS streaming (via built in Tivo Stream) is pretty damn sweet.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:20 PM
SOA AAA

Still no complaints?
Wife is being a hard sell right now.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for unpacking boxes
Favorite beer: Bombadier, London Pride, Any Samuel Smith Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Still no complaints?
Wife is being a hard sell right now.
I still don't get why i should replace my FiOS DVR.

I've been through two TiVos earlier in my life with lifetime service. Those have long since died or been abandoned (they were not HD).

Advantage of TiVo:
- 6 tuners instead of 2
- better interface I guess
- slingbox like capability (already have a slingbox)

Breakeven point - about 3 years.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:43 PM
SOA

I've never used a FiOS or Comcast's X1 box. But the standard Comcast DVR box and the older TiVo were slow as hell. The Roamio is pretty fast, and definitely noticeable change.

As I said before - 6 tuners is a bit of overkill if you aren't big TV watchers. I plan on hooking up at least 1 TiVo mini box (more likely I'll do two), so having the extra tuners for those is a no-brainer.

Lifetime service is $499, which at $15/mo for a DVR (that's what TiVo's monthly rate is, as well as Comcast's HD DVR), breakeven is 2 years and 9 months. As a current TiVo member, I got mine for $399, so my breakeven is lower (2 years and 3 months). As a "hedge," I'm a sucker and added the 3 year warranty for $39.99. Bake that into my Lifetime service and I'm guaranteed to get a better deal with this than cable provider box.

If you were a former TiVo subscriber (even if not current), I'd call TiVo and see if they'd give you the $100 off the Lifetime service. I can't imagine they wouldn't - especially if that's make or break between getting a new/old customer back.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:46 PM
SOA

As someone without a Slingbox currently, just the local streaming functionality is a HUGE bonus. If my wife is watching some stupid show on the TV, I can hop on the iPad and watch a game, or whatever I want without having to flee to another room. Works REALLY well over the network. I'll be curious how it holds up once full Sling-like functionality comes in the fall.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:36 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooHoo View Post
I still don't get why i should replace my FiOS DVR.

I've been through two TiVos earlier in my life with lifetime service. Those have long since died or been abandoned (they were not HD).

Advantage of TiVo:
- 6 tuners instead of 2
- better interface I guess
- slingbox like capability (already have a slingbox)

Breakeven point - about 3 years.
No one is making you do anything. Unless, of course, you are my wife, then yes I am definitely trying to get you to change.

Those are all great advantages. interface is still beyond comparaison. None of this "I guess," shit.

What are the disadvantages?
1. No On Demand.
2. Um... The one time set-up procedure, complete with setting up all the shows that we've already set up on the Fios boxes.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:51 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
I've never used a FiOS or Comcast's X1 box. But the standard Comcast DVR box and the older TiVo were slow as hell. The Roamio is pretty fast, and definitely noticeable change.

As I said before - 6 tuners is a bit of overkill if you aren't big TV watchers. I plan on hooking up at least 1 TiVo mini box (more likely I'll do two), so having the extra tuners for those is a no-brainer.

Lifetime service is $499, which at $15/mo for a DVR (that's what TiVo's monthly rate is, as well as Comcast's HD DVR), breakeven is 2 years and 9 months. As a current TiVo member, I got mine for $399, so my breakeven is lower (2 years and 3 months). As a "hedge," I'm a sucker and added the 3 year warranty for $39.99. Bake that into my Lifetime service and I'm guaranteed to get a better deal with this than cable provider box.
What about buying the Roamio itself? Is that factored in? And cablecard rental? And isn't 3 years a long time for tech these days?

I ask because my FIOS boxes have been pretty terrible lately, and I could use more than the 2 tuners on the main DVR box. It still seems like it'd be a lot more costly to go TiVo.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks1839 View Post
What about buying the Roamio itself? Is that factored in? And cablecard rental? And isn't 3 years a long time for tech these days?

I ask because my FIOS boxes have been pretty terrible lately, and I could use more than the 2 tuners on the main DVR box. It still seems like it'd be a lot more costly to go TiVo.
It definitely is more costly, no doubt about it. I don't factor the cost of the box into the "breakeven" on the service. Cablecard is free for me - but some charge up to $5/mo.

I think of paying for the box as the premium I pay for a better device.
  • Cable DVR can't give me 6 tuners (hell, they won't give me 4 unless I change my plan)
  • Cable DVR won't let me download recording to my iPad/iPhone
  • Cable DVR is slow as shit
When I go buy a cell phone, there are dozens of "free phones" that I pass up because I want "the latest and greatest." That's the same reason why I'm willing to pay for the TiVo box.

It's definitely not for everyone. Like I said - If there aren't TV watchers in your house, it's DEFINITELY not worth it. But we record / time-shift a LOT of shows, and I watch a ton of sports. It's worth it for us.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks1839 View Post

Check your cable bill to see how much you're paying for your cable/DVR boxes.
Then, check how much a cable card costs (for me FIOS is going to charge $5/mo).

Then you can do the math yourself.

For me, I'm paying $1332 per three years for cable boxes.
Package of TiVo Roamio and Mini costs $1150, and 3 years of cable card costs $180. So, I save $2 over that time period.

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 08-30-2013 at 01:09 PM..
Old 08-30-2013, 01:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Check your cable bill to see how much you're paying for your cable/DVR boxes.
Then, check how much a cable card costs (for me FIOS is going to charge $5/mo).

Then you can do the math yourself.
Eh - he's not wrong. TiVo is always gonna cost you more money.

Cable DVR = $15/mo.
TiVo = $15/mo + $5/mo (CableCARD)

And like he pointed out, that doesn't include the cost of buying the box.

Of course Lifetime service changes the math. 3 years IS somewhat of a long time for tech, but last I checked, Comcast was issuing the same boxes for the last 10 years until they rolled out X1 box this year. I had my last TiVo for 5 years, and it was still functional.