Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 08-30-2013, 01:12 PM
SOA AAA

But paying monthly for TiVo service implicitly implies that you might stop the service at some point. And who would do that??
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:04 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

First, I understand why people want to use something like Tivo, but holy cow, it is expensive.

I know it is a bit daunting, but if you have a decent desktop around, you could pretty much build all this on your own, for a fraction of the cost. MythTV - free, HDHomeRun Prime (three tuners and cable card ready) - $180 max plus the cost of the cablecard, and $25 per year for schedules direct to give you the guide data.

I use a desktop I build 8 years ago to run my system. I also use OTA (so no cable) so my total cost per year is $25.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:22 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
But paying monthly for TiVo service implicitly implies that you might stop the service at some point. And who would do that??
People that can't get over the sticker shock of paying $400-500 upfront.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
First, I understand why people want to use something like Tivo, but holy cow, it is expensive.

I know it is a bit daunting, but if you have a decent desktop around, you could pretty much build all this on your own, for a fraction of the cost. MythTV - free, HDHomeRun Prime (three tuners and cable card ready) - $180 max plus the cost of the cablecard, and $25 per year for schedules direct to give you the guide data.

I use a desktop I build 8 years ago to run my system. I also use OTA (so no cable) so my total cost per year is $25.
No offense - but isn't this classic geek "it's so easy to..." situation; describing something that is easy for the tech savvy but pretty complex for almost everyone else.

Myth TV has the whole Linux/Unix barrier to entry, no? Last I recall, it either didn't run on Windows at all, or didn't run very smoothly.

I don't know too many people that just happen to have a spare desktop around. And there's no way I would run anything like this from my primary desktop. I'd need a dedicated box.

Also, my wife would not want a desktop computer sitting in the living room. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this one - although I imagine in 2013, the number of people that experience this concern is dwindling. I'm sure an "easy solution" to this problem would be building a media-PC that looks like entertainment device instead of a desktop ("they make cases like that now, you know!").
Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM
SOA AAA

That's great for someone living alone in their mom's basement.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Smooth as butter! Love this thing!

Glad I got the Roamio Plus too - the iOS streaming (via built in Tivo Stream) is pretty damn sweet.
So now that you've had it for a few weeks, what's the good, bad & ugly of it?

I'm leaning towards getting one for my girlfriend for christmas. She was pissed when we had to put her series 2 out to pasture last year. Does it do everything pretty much the same as a S2?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
So now that you've had it for a few weeks, what's the good, bad & ugly of it?

I'm leaning towards getting one for my girlfriend for christmas. She was pissed when we had to put her series 2 out to pasture last year. Does it do everything pretty much the same as a S2?
I never had a S2, but I imagine it does everything and more...?

I really don't have any complaints about the TiVo itself. The Amazon Instant Video app on it is basically the same boring app from the S3 (i.e. it uses the traditional SD TiVo menus; no colorful pictures or menus).
Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: Belly Flop

I want I want I want! Do they sell these at Best Buy? We have $430 in BB gift cards we can use. Then we can drop Hulu Plus!

I'd be sooooo excited to watch my sci-fi shows whenever I want. I could even record shows for snoorpleton!

I had one of the first TiVo's, you know, the non-HD with lifetime service. Paid like $250 or maybe it was $500 for everything. Was worth every penny. Really like the lifetime service stuff. Hopefully the TiVo boxes last long past the break even point.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: Belly Flop

Also, my wife would not want a desktop computer sitting in the living room. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this one - although I imagine in 2013, the number of people that experience this concern is dwindling. I'm sure an "easy solution" to this problem would be building a media-PC that looks like entertainment device instead of a desktop ("they make cases like that now, you know!").

In our living room, we each have our own tv's each set up with our own desktop computers and xbox's.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoo View Post
In our living room, we each have our own tv's each set up with our own desktop computers and xbox's.

Even I don't think I'd want that