Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-17-2017, 10:44 AM
SOA

Default Entry Level Field Change

Here's my situation:

I recently, about a month and a half ago, started my first job out of college at a Retirement Consulting firm. I quickly realized that this is not the direction I want my career to go in. The culture is good and I don't mind the hours but the issue I'm having is that the work is simply underwhelming. Turns out that I'm not interested in pension. Essentially what it boils down to is the fact that I would not want to do my boss' job. This has me thinking that I'm wasting my time in an entry level position where I have no interest in progressing. I interned in life insurance and found that to be much more interesting, at the very least more analytical. In the end, I would like to get out of pension and back into life.

My question is this, should I try to cut my losses and apply for jobs in life now or should I adhere to the philosophy that you should stay in your first job for a year. My concern is that if I leave now I will appear as a job hopper or lacking commitment but if I stay for too long I might become over qualified for an entry level position in life.

In summary, should I be more concerned about finding an entry level position in the field I want to end up in or about making sure my resume looks good for when I want to make that switch.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:48 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Apply as soon as possible. Nobody I know who left pensions for another field regrets that they did it too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:34 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Move now. Be able to state to your potential future employer why the move would be beneficial to you both, not just to you.
COP
Old 07-17-2017, 02:13 PM
SOA

Follow up question. If I do end up applying, should I put my current job with less than two months time on my resume?
Old 07-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker25 View Post
Follow up question. If I do end up applying, should I put my current job with less than two months time on my resume?
Yes. And don't quit that job (not even mentally) until you get an offer in hand. This may take a while.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Oct 13, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elleminopee View Post
For me, I take accusations of simplicity as more of a compliment than an insult. When the level of complexity in your model is more than you can validate, you are wasting your time.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:24 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

I was on the P&C side and started looking for jobs within six months for personal reasons. Every interview I had asked me why I was looking to switch so early on into my first job. I had an answer ready and still got an offer from every company.

Think it only becomes a red flag if you have a history of it (>=2 times).
Old 07-17-2017, 03:32 PM

College: About to be a super senior

To be fair, a lot of the work at entry level can be underwhelming. In interviews, I would just be straight up and say that you want to get out of pension due to the future of the industry.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker25 View Post
I quickly realized that this is not the direction I want my career to go in.
Essentially what it boils down to is the fact that I would not want to do my boss' job.
I interned in life insurance and found that to be much more interesting, at the very least more analytical.
A few thoughts:

Agree with comments above, leave asap. That's best for you, best for your current employer (assuming you'll eventually leave, the sooner you do the sooner they can look for their next person), best for your next employer. And def agree w/ JMO.

"I would not want to do my boss's job" - congrats on thinking the correct way about the career path IMO. If that's how you feel, then get out now.

A little weird that you interned in life and ended up in a field you didn't like. Think about that for a bit - how did you miss the issue that this wouldn't be interesting for you - you had an internship that in hindsight you liked (are you sure this isn't just a "grass is greener" phenomenon?) and either didn't get an offer (which is a sign of a particular problem) or you got an offer and decided to reject that in favor of going into a field that is pretty known as being undesirable (a different problem). So, worth considering a bit about how that happened to ensure that history doesn't repeat itself. If you accept a bad choice now, it will get a lot harder to make the next switch.

And, recommend that if you turned down the life offer from your internship, consider calling them and just saying that you made a mistake and want to know if there's an opening. Might feel like swallowing your pride, but as long as you handled it professionally, they probably won't feel that way.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:14 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
either didn't get an offer (which is a sign of a particular problem)
Not all companies hire their interns into full time roles regularly. Have worked places with great interns who helped a lot over the summer but there was no budget for full time hires. I don't think it's a fair assumption that there was some problem if he didn't get hired.

Or maybe they did hire but had 10 interns and 1 spot and he was second best - also not uncommon.