Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-27-2017, 04:23 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
The answer to the first question depends on the manager. You should ask them this question. On your first day. And remember the answer.
This. And everything else JMO wrote.

I normally don't mind if the intern stops over to ask something. But not 10x per day. Because it does break my concentration on whatever I'm working on. And be prepared when you come talk to me, so you don't have to keep coming back every 10 minutes because you didn't anticipate any of my follow-up questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade.runner View Post
i respect her process, however, but i do believe that efficiency triumphs over tradition. and i do not see the problem in me motivating a modification in my superior's behavior.
You're not modifying her behavior, you're just annoying her. If she needs updates from multiple people, e-mail may in fact be more efficient for her to keep track of the statuses. You're projecting your own experience/preference onto other people.

Which leads me to another piece of advice... you are more likely to get people to help you (etc) if you make their lives easier and honor their preferences (to the extent possible) instead of doing things that annoy them, even if you'd prefer to do it differently. So ask questions to figure out what works best for people.

Last edited by MG; 07-28-2017 at 09:09 AM..
Old 07-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Very useful excel formulae:
Sumproduct((2D range)*(parameter1=x)*(parameter2=y))
Array product-sums like {=sum(a1:z10 * a1:z1)}
index/match, search, left/right, date(x), eomonth, eoyear
Indirect
iserror, isna
Excel: learn the following functions immediately, if you haven't used them before:

SUM, PRODUCT, SUMPRODUCT
SUMIF(S)
COUNTIF(S)
IFERROR, IFNA
GROWTH
VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, LOOKUP
OFFSET, INDEX
RANK
LEFT,RIGHT,MID,SEARCH,FIND (and nesting the last 2 in the first 3!)
INDIRECT

I disagree wholeheartedly on the array formulas. They are a PITA to edit and use, if you don't use them all the time. Others will not be able to figure out what the heck you're doing...especially us old-timers!

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
Old 07-27-2017, 05:04 PM
SOA AAA

Also, for INDIRECT: there had better be no other way to get it done.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:05 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade.runner View Post
moreover, if the hidden sheet is being linked to, then the uninformed client would think that the analysis is coming from jesus rather than a hidden sheet.

i dont like providing clients a values only sheet where they would benefit from sensitivity testing (change enrollment, change trend, change demographics etc). thus, i prefer to lock my computation sheet and then hide it, and then lock the structure.

it can be argued that a motivated person can bypass the locked structure (i personally dont know how), but i think that that the reward vs time invested in that attempt is not desirable. whereas this method of 'very hidden sheet' is just a bit of a show off!
Removing the password from a protected sheet is a very simple macro that can be googled in about 10 seconds. Finding the very hidden sheet usually requires actually knowing about the option.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:27 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
damn straight

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-27-2017, 09:04 PM

College: MSU

Thank you all for this. It's certainly coming in handy.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:51 AM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

How about some discussion on WFH when you're new (< 2 years)? Do we all agree that it should be the exception (repairman visiting) and not the norm (every Friday or two).

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:02 AM
CAS

When sending a spreadsheet for others to review or use, save the file so that it opens to the tab and cell(s) you want the user to see first and focus on. If you've created an exhibit showing results, that's what the user should see first, not some random location in the middle of a sea of data, pivot tables, etc.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
When sending a spreadsheet for others to review or use, save the file so that it opens to the tab and cell(s) you want the user to see first and focus on. If you've created an exhibit showing results, that's what the user should see first, not some random location in the middle of a sea of data, pivot tables, etc.

In addition, set all of the tabs so that the top/left (or whatever is appropriate) is how it will be seen first. Nothing like clicking through tabs where the display is randomly on cell AA58, for example.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I don't use it often, but it's handy in certain situations.

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart