Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 08-09-2017, 01:38 AM
Non-Actuary

College: School of Life

*complement

But to answer your question of what to get? I recommend you get perspective.

How is it you want to live? Take 2 years and think about where you are, where you are headed, and what happens when you get there. Then decide what you need to do in addition to, or instead of, FSA.

If you still need help, bump this thread and a bunch of nerds will tell you to continue nerding out. But if you really want to figure it out, ask that question on about fifteen different discussion boards, take all the answers from there and from here, throw them in the trash, and just do whatever the hell you want.

Last edited by Bro; 08-09-2017 at 01:44 AM..
Old 08-09-2017, 02:49 AM
CAS AAA

College: The University of Alabama
Favorite beer: Chimay Grande Réserve

Re: CFA
Depending upon your financial knowledge and your time commitment, if you started soon, you could probably pass Level 1 this December, and then pass Level 2 next June, and be 2/3 of the way there less than a year from now.

Of course, Level 1 is the only one offered twice per year, so if you can't hit this December, then you're looking at June/December '18, June '19, June '20 at the absolute earliest. Then, it's a three year commitment instead of two...

I don't believe the CFA will make you a better investor, nor will it make you a better actuary. It is a strong signal to banks if you want out of insurance. Outside of insurance, I'd say CFA is definitely more recognizable than FSA. If you want to torture yourself with more exams, more power to you, but I don't know if there are any synergies from having FSA + CFA.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:23 AM
CAS

Studying for ever.
Favorite beer: Long Trail Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by willel2338 View Post
I don't know if there are any synergies from having FSA + CFA.
ERM?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Xocoveza

Get another designation with the American Society of Appraisers so that you'll be FSA, ASA and when people are like hey you're not supposed to use ASA with FSA you can be like omg myob I'm a home appraiser/actuary.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:33 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
FCAS
Old 08-09-2017, 09:40 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrossTrain View Post
How about defining an exception career as one that (positively?) impacts or influences the largest amount of people, both directly and indirectly (while making an actuarial salary).

We're no doctors, who seem to bridge the gap between making bank, with saving peoples lives, but maybe if there is some way to to make citizen's lives better through our specialized skill set?

Conceptually its easier to start by making our coworkers, customers, agents lives better as a start. How can we take an extra step and expand our actuarial skills to helping the average citizens or underprivileged people in society, on a large scale basis?
people have given me grief and rolled their eyes at me for this, but i believe we do this in insurance. without the ability to transfer and share risk, the economy as we know it wouldn't exist. people couldn't afford the risk of going into business at the speed and scale that exists in modern economies. we wouldn't have all the advantages, luxuries, plenitude, etc we have today without it. people would be grinding out meager existences, scraping by on what they could grow and fashion for themselves. insurances eases the flow of capital

<insert caveat here acknowledging problems, first world and otherwise>
Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM
SOA

OP, work on your, grammar, mainly comma placement
Old 08-09-2017, 09:49 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
people have given me grief and rolled their eyes at me for this, but i believe we do this in insurance. without the ability to transfer and share risk, the economy as we know it wouldn't exist. people couldn't afford the risk of going into business at the speed and scale that exists in modern economies. we wouldn't have all the advantages, luxuries, plenitude, etc we have today without it. people would be grinding out meager existences, scraping by on what they could grow and fashion for themselves. insurances eases the flow of capital

<insert caveat here acknowledging problems, first world and otherwise>
Not sure if that's the case for Life insurance, but it's an ideology taught on the P&C side.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
Not sure if that's the case for Life insurance, but it's an ideology taught on the P&C side.
On the life side, the talk is all about helping widows (widowers?) and orphans.

It's also about dealing with estate taxes, but that's not quite so altruistic sounding.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Oct 13, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elleminopee View Post
For me, I take accusations of simplicity as more of a compliment than an insult. When the level of complexity in your model is more than you can validate, you are wasting your time.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:07 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrossTrain View Post
Work for Life Insurance Company, just got FSA, plan to focus on work.
However wondering if any related disciplines naturally compliment an FSA designation, and can increase chances of having an exceptional career.

Some things I was thinking about:

CFA

MBA (top 10 BSchool, paid of out of pocket)

MBA (top 50 school, part time, company sponsered)

Masters Data Science

Or, I could focus on enhancing "soft" skills through building external relationships, reading books, volunteering, etc...
If you want to do more, you should figure out what you are interested in. Whatever you do will be more for fun than for financial rewards at the end of the day.

--AO Fan

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.

So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it.

--jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics

--jas66kent