Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-13-2019, 09:35 PM

Wednesday night Panasonic leaks that they aren't going to expand gigafactory capacity 50% in 2020 as Tesla doesn't have the demand.

Thursday Tesla says thats not true, they will just improve efficiency to hit need.

Thursday night Panasonic leaks more stuff saying Musk basically begs for discounts all the time, that Teslas inability to utilize production has caused Panasonic to miss earnings multiple time and they will just work more with Toyota. Stated more emphatically that tesla's growth forecast is a pipe dream.

Today Musk on twitter saying Panasonic lied and Gigafactory 1 is only producing 24gw instead of the 35gw that panasonic claimed. Claims again that their Model 3 production is limited by battery constraints.

Things must be going F;ing awful for Tesla. As recently as the fake Model Y reveal he stated that batteries were now long a limit on Model 3 production and that the powerwall would ramp up (needs the same cells).

In their Q4 report they stated that all parts needed for model three can be made at sustained rates of 7k per week... they aren't making more than 5k model a week.

Hope Panasonic dunks on musk again on monday.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:24 PM

Musk is really melting down on twitter this weekend. Blaming the Bloomberg and WSJ for much of its negative press. He doubled down on 500k production over the next 12 months, even after saying Tesla is currently capacity constrained on model 3 due to battery supply issues (probably not true).
Old 04-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Market didn't seem very impressed by Musk's weekend performance. His, we are the next uber buy our cars now before their price doubles nonsense didn't seem to create the normal stock bump. I think its the end of this week that the SEC/TEsla had to workout some sort of solution for the contempt hearing.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 PM

Elon Musk says Tesla is “vastly ahead” on self-driving

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/04...-self-driving/
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Elon Musk says Tesla is “vastly ahead” on self-driving

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/04...-self-driving/
And reality..

""Tesla Autopilot is not yet even close to where Waymo was 6 years ago," wrote Brad Templeton, a longtime self-driving car evangelist who advised Google during the early years of its self-driving car program.

By 2012, Google had developed highway driver assistance software that had capabilities similar to recent versions of Autopilot. Google considered selling this technology as a standalone product but decided there was too much danger of drivers becoming overly reliant on the technology—and failing to properly monitor it."
Old 04-15-2019, 03:00 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulzEMH View Post
By 2012, Google had developed highway driver assistance software that had capabilities similar to recent versions of Autopilot. Google considered selling this technology as a standalone product but decided there was too much danger of drivers becoming overly reliant on the technology—and failing to properly monitor it."
I wish I could watch Google's progress. They seemed to have a decent grip on things 5 years ago, ironing out edge cases, testing without accidents, getting ready for commercialization... and then crickets. And now the CEO is suggesting they'll never be all that good?
What's the problem???? What are the safety drivers doing exactly???? Who knows because it's all secret secret secret.

One reason I really like Tesla is you can (obsessively) watch their (grudgingly slow) progress in real time.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 04-15-2019 at 03:04 PM..
Old 04-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I wish I could watch Google's progress. They seemed to have a decent grip on things 5 years ago, ironing out edge cases, testing without accidents, getting ready for commercialization... and then crickets. And now the CEO is suggesting they'll never be all that good?
What's the problem???? What are the safety drivers doing exactly???? Who knows because it's all secret secret secret.

One reason I really like Tesla is you can (obsessively) watch their (grudgingly slow) progress in real time.
What is it we get to watch Tesla do real time that we haven't seen Waymo do? I think Waymo is just acknowledging that there are a ton of edge cases still and they are ridiculous hard to solve. I feel like their current Waymo technology is way too expensive for an average joes car but not good enough to go driverless completely which puts it a hard spot from an economic standpoint.

Has tesla even mastered highway driving yet? Tons of online accounts of issues needing user action.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:47 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
I think Waymo is just acknowledging that there are a ton of edge cases still and they are ridiculous hard to solve. I feel like their current Waymo technology is way too expensive for an average joes car but not good enough to go driverless completely which puts it a hard spot from an economic standpoint.
I get it generally, but I'd like to see what those edge cases are. What specifically is keeping them from trying a driverless ride service in some specific geo-fenced environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulzEMH View Post
What is it we get to watch Tesla do real time that we haven't seen Waymo do?
I mean we barely see Waymo do anything, because they don't release much footage. Tesla drivers OTOH, are filming every little update, reporting back on every success and failure. And it's really exciting to see progress, even when it's pathetic. It would be better if Waymo (or someone) produced something similar.

Anyway, yes I agree, it's 5 years behind Waymo. But (assuming they don't go bankrupt) I look forward to watching their progress this year anyway.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 04-15-2019 at 03:54 PM..
Old 04-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I get it generally, but I'd like to see what those edge cases are. What specifically is keeping them from trying a driverless ride service in some specific geo-fenced environment.

I mean we barely see Waymo do anything, because they don't release much footage. Tesla drivers OTOH, are filming every little update, reporting back on every success and failure. And it's really exciting to see progress, even when it's pathetic. It would be better if Waymo (or someone) produced something similar.

Anyway, yes I agree, it's 5 years behind Waymo. But (assuming they don't go bankrupt) I look forward to watching their progress this year anyway.
Ok, yeah, I agree. I had watched a video of some news outlet that followed a waymo for hours to see how well it did. Was interesting to see it struggle with merging due to a wreck in its lane. Also said that the particular garage where they were stored required a difficult left turn to get on the street. They said it appeared humans were constantly making the turn before handing off control to the car. The things where it struggles, I feel like aren't as much saftey hazzards as they are things that piss off surrounding drivers.

Like if TEsla releases this summons thing and a bunch of smug tesla owners start calling cars up to pick them up and the cars are traveling at a max 2mph in the parking lot and struggle a lot block traffics other people are going to be pissed.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:22 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
I don't really want to own shares in a pension and retirement benefits plan that happens to also make cars
yall too smart for me im just a Okie from Muskogee, shoot, ok, I will sell, doh dog gonnit, wait a minute, a bunch of billionaires and value investors own, nah im gunna wait. wait is it peak auto yet? are they going Bankrupt again? Please I pray my finger in the wind is not working this time.

Maybe Ill just buy overvalued tech like everyone else, they be smart coastal people and all. I will save the environment, but I want to get rich doing it, Tesla shareholders. And dont touch my private jet. but F150s be damned.