Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 9 (old Part 8) - Financial Risk & Rate of Return
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1761  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:52 PM
bjc2142's Avatar
bjc2142 bjc2142 is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Boston
Studying for Exam 9
Favorite beer: Asahi Draft
Posts: 981
Default

Any thoughts on TIA PE1? I heard it's easy. I think content-wise it was easy but I ran out of time (left one last big question blank). I'm frustrated because it says "you should not have time issue with this exam" on the first page.

I probably misallocated time because each point was closer for 3min value instead of usual 4min value. Also there was IQ in the end and most of high point computation problems placed towards the end, so I might have had false sense of security that I was doing fine with time. It's really stressful to be under time pressure when questions have twist and I can't start writing right away.
__________________
ACAS | 7 | 8 | 9
Reply With Quote
  #1762  
Old 04-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Golfer32 Golfer32 is online now
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc2142 View Post
Any thoughts on TIA PE1? I heard it's easy. I think content-wise it was easy but I ran out of time (left one last big question blank). I'm frustrated because it says "you should not have time issue with this exam" on the first page.

I probably misallocated time because each point was closer for 3min value instead of usual 4min value. Also there was IQ in the end and most of high point computation problems placed towards the end, so I might have had false sense of security that I was doing fine with time. It's really stressful to be under time pressure when questions have twist and I can't start writing right away.
Agreed content wise fairly straight forward but inline with 2013-2015 so far... i think his statement of time shouldnt be an issue is mis leading... i had 10 minutes left when doing that one... and past exams (so far ive had 30 + minutes left on a recommended time of 2 1/2 hours adter point adjustment)
Reply With Quote
  #1763  
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 PM
Golfer32 Golfer32 is online now
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 301
Default

Haven't got to any past Kreps problems yet but based on the abstract it seems like a natural queation to be asked would be about the value of reinsurance (increase in UW cost compared to decrease in capital cost).

He seems to mention that a couple times through out the paper
Reply With Quote
  #1764  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 PM
Tacoactuary's Avatar
Tacoactuary Tacoactuary is online now
Member
CAS Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
College: Vanderbilt, UIUC
Favorite beer: Yazoo Sue
Posts: 1,435
Default

It really makes you question, what is the point of even including the comment about time not being an issue? If you want to make that comment, do it in the forums or something, not on the front of the test.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #1765  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 PM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,449
Default

Rf2 exam 1:56 left up to question nine...
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #1766  
Old 04-16-2019, 12:04 AM
bjc2142's Avatar
bjc2142 bjc2142 is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Boston
Studying for Exam 9
Favorite beer: Asahi Draft
Posts: 981
Default

If I fail this exam, it will due to running out of time. I think I will be close to 1000-1200 hours of studying by the exam date. I put so much effort into this exam, more than any other prior exams, and feel very confident about the materials. I'm just slow.
__________________
ACAS | 7 | 8 | 9
Reply With Quote
  #1767  
Old 04-16-2019, 12:12 AM
Tacoactuary's Avatar
Tacoactuary Tacoactuary is online now
Member
CAS Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
College: Vanderbilt, UIUC
Favorite beer: Yazoo Sue
Posts: 1,435
Default

For RF2 Q2 part d

Spoiler:
dont i technically need to account for the last 40% of year 4s paid loss, which will occur in year 6, when calculating the franchise value?
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #1768  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:34 AM
sacklunch sacklunch is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc2142 View Post
If I fail this exam, it will due to running out of time. I think I will be close to 1000-1200 hours of studying by the exam date. I put so much effort into this exam, more than any other prior exams, and feel very confident about the materials. I'm just slow.
woah! is this cumulative hours between multiple attempts?
Reply With Quote
  #1769  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 AM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoactuary View Post
For RF2 Q2 part d

Spoiler:
dont i technically need to account for the last 40% of year 4s paid loss, which will occur in year 6, when calculating the franchise value?
I am in middle of the exam. But I did what you suggested. Maybe email Steve.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #1770  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 AM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,449
Default

Kreps how do you get from 3.11 to 3.12.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
#hawaii2019, hawaii!, top5alwayspass

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.17315 seconds with 12 queries