Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by urysohn View Post
:facepalm:

So now employers will find this thread. The natural next step would be to view all posts by this userid. Which then pops up the other thread. Which makes it abundantly clear that he's actively trying to deceive me.

Ironically, I wouldn't have cared about the initial offense, but for this one I'd have immediately trashed his resume.

Allen -- you're doing it wrong. Recommendation: delete all your current threads. Start over.
Seriously. This thread is definitely an example of “what not to do” when trying to manage an online reputation. This is probably a good place for the mods to get involved to help protect the OP from himself. Also, it’s likely that people here will Google the name and click on the police blotter result. I don’t know the details of Google’s search algorithms, but traffic from a bunch of people clicking that link probably pushes it higher up the page. This thread is counterproductive. Putting on a tin foil hat for a moment, it’s possible that the OP is unknowingly self-sabotaging, but it’s also possible that the OP is someone else entirely that’s trying to damage this guy's real life reputation. Either way, it should be deleted.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 PM
Non-Actuary

College: School of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenTheActuary View Post
Hey guys. My name is Allen paskewitz. Click this thread.

My friend is in a really bad spot right now. He graduated high school, learned to be an electrician and started working for about a year. When he graduated high school he weighed over 300 pounds, and by the time he graduated from the technical institute he weighed about 240. After graduathing he made a lot of money and put some of it away. Then, one night he accidentally got super messed up and gambled away $3000 dollars. Shortly after he broke his knee sliding down a roof at work so he can't work as an electrician anymore. This whole time he was working he had back issues that would require surgery. The problems of his back and his leg combined prevent him from working electrical now without surgery. Oh, and all his credit cards are maxed so he's losing credit.

Right now he has no way to get money other than a six flags job, and he's just really depressed and wants to give up on life. He just got a tax return back for about $1000 but that's all the money he has. It's not nearly enough for surgery. And he's gaining weight again, he's up to like 280. Which of these problems should he address first? Any advice is appreciated.
I’ve read the rest of the thread, too, so I know that you actually have an ulterior motive with this post, but, for the sake of giving advice, I’ll do just that.

Here’s good advice:

1) Your friend should call whatever pro-bono legal services firm exists in your area. Try LegalAid; they can help you to file for Worker’s Comp. This gets him into the system and helps with the fact that he doesn’t have money to pay for legal services. Eventually he’ll get WC and that will provide enough spending money for essentials. He can beg and borrow until then.

2) Your friend should sell his car. This gets him money and eliminates a portion of his monthly expenditures, because he’s not spending on a car, and he’s not driving through McDonald’s or Taco Bell. These further reduce his expenses and force him to eat cheaper by buying at the local grocery where he will get fresh fruit and vegetables.

3) Your friend should start walking to the library daily. From wherever he is, he should walk to the library, read newspapers (specifically the local daily and the Wall Street Journal), and read a book. Then walk home. Could be 2 miles each way, could be 5. This will get him fresh air, exercise, and knowledge. The combination will help him lose weight, be ready to sleep, and feel more empowered.

4) Your friend should ensure he gets 7-8 hours of sleep, at a normal sleeping time (like 10 pm - 6 am) and not significantly more. He should not sleep in the afternoon when he’s “tired” and stay awake at nighttime because he’s depressed. This creates an untenable cycle from which he will be unable to form healthy habits.

Other items will come once these have been established as habits. Your friend first must concentrate on making himself the best he can be, and always improving, before he can begin to complain about all the crap that’s been piled upon him.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:27 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Seriously. This thread is definitely an example of “what not to do” when trying to manage an online reputation. This is probably a good place for the mods to get involved to help protect the OP from himself. Also, it’s likely that people here will Google the name and click on the police blotter result.

OP got decent advice in his careers thread, bringing this sort of thing into NAT will spoil it because people won't take it seriously. It's NAT. That's what happens here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:32 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

OP – when I google a job applicant, I usually can’t be 100% sure that what I find is that person or someone with the same name. Giving your name, on this board, and details of what you did pretty much removes all that doubt. Whether what you did is enough to get your job application thrown or not isn’t the point – you wanted to hide it online, and this thread does the opposite of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:47 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGoodFCAS View Post
If he was an independent contractor, as many electricians are, he would not be eligible for WC and would therefore have to file a disability claim, either through (hopefully) his own insurance policy or through the federal government, which is a process in itself.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:55 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
dieting and losing weight can happen at any time, given he doesn't have a lot of money, the dieting should be pretty easy.
being broke means you can only afford cheap food, and cheap food is unhealthy crap for the most part
Old 04-16-2019, 11:32 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
being broke means you can only afford cheap food, and cheap food is unhealthy crap for the most part
eh, i've heard that, but that to me is more like a laziness problem. you just have to learn to cook differently and spend some free time looking at the sales and sticking to a grocery list. rice/beans in bulk. eggs are cheap in my area, not sure if that's the same across the country. it does help if you don't mind eating the same thing over and over again. some people aren't into that.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshuga View Post
isn't it untaxed, which makes up for the taxes that are usually deducted from his pay?
It makes up for part of it, but in terms of indemnity WC is not designed to give disabled people 100% of their full income. That way it gives them an incentive to return to work, or at the very least try to find another job that would be able to accommodate their disability.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:55 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
eh, i've heard that, but that to me is more like a laziness problem. you just have to learn to cook differently and spend some free time looking at the sales and sticking to a grocery list. rice/beans in bulk. eggs are cheap in my area, not sure if that's the same across the country. it does help if you don't mind eating the same thing over and over again. some people aren't into that.
You can buy a few pounds of ground chuck and 10 hamburger helper boxes for $15, or you can buy enough veggies to make a salad for 4 people to split (if you already have dressing).
Old 04-16-2019, 12:01 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
You can buy a few pounds of ground chuck and 10 hamburger helper boxes for $15, or you can buy enough veggies to make a salad for 4 people to split (if you already have dressing).
Are you buying organic veggies maybe? $15 goes pretty far with generics.....
This is worse than the finale of Lost, what about the smoke monster, was real or not, and if not, why have so many members of Trump's campaign plead guilty to lying about meeting with the smoke monster?