Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Professional Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado


View Poll Results: What to wear?
Wear a Suit 106 55.50%
Wear Business Casual 68 35.60%
Wear Casual 10 5.24%
Take off all 42 items and go naked. 7 3.66%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 10-26-2016, 06:51 PM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
This is directly from the email for the on-site from the internal recruiter...

"To give you a better idea of what the work environment and dress code are like at the office, please check out our website and this helpful article. Please feel free to dress casually (WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU NOT WEAR BUSINESS FORMAL ATTIRE)"

Yes, it's in caps as well. I didn't even have to ask. Obviously they've had enough idiots show up in suits that they had to start addressing it for everyone. :P

-Riley
I'd like to change my vote. I still wouldn't go for a t-shirt, but probably what was suggested above. Khakis, nice shirt, jacket, no tie.

What kind of shoes you wearing?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 93,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
This is directly from the email for the on-site from the internal recruiter...

"To give you a better idea of what the work environment and dress code are like at the office, please check out our website and this helpful article. Please feel free to dress casually (WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU NOT WEAR BUSINESS FORMAL ATTIRE)"

Yes, it's in caps as well. I didn't even have to ask. Obviously they've had enough idiots show up in suits that they had to start addressing it for everyone. :P

-Riley
I don't see an "Or else" in there, not even an implied one.
Do whatever the f you want.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-26-2016, 10:40 PM
nonlnear nonlnear is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: May 2010
Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA
Posts: 30,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
I'd like to change my vote. I still wouldn't go for a t-shirt, but probably what was suggested above. Khakis, nice shirt, jacket, no tie.

What kind of shoes you wearing?
Vintage Converse All Stars.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-27-2016, 09:15 AM
whoanonstop's Avatar
whoanonstop whoanonstop is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice
Posts: 5,898
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Do whatever the f you want.
In my opinion this should be in your signature... Pretty much answers every question on careers

-Riley
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 93,450
Default

Well, not everyone knows exactly what they are going to do regardless of the advice that is given here. Some posters are actually sincere.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-27-2016, 01:30 PM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
Vintage Converse All Stars.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-27-2016, 01:38 PM
whoanonstop's Avatar
whoanonstop whoanonstop is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice
Posts: 5,898
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Well, not everyone knows exactly what they are going to do regardless of the advice that is given here. Some posters are actually sincere.
You're giving the AO way too much credit here.

Perhaps the purpose for this thread is that you can't always rely on the AO's advice to be correct? :P I think a lot of actuaries have a knack for wanting to extrapolate their knowledge to areas outside of their exposure and at times that is going to be wrong. Such is life.

-Riley
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-27-2016, 01:59 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 93,450
Default

Well, I know from now on it (sincerity) doesn't apply to anything you ask here. I have learned something today. Thank you.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-27-2016, 02:04 PM
whoanonstop's Avatar
whoanonstop whoanonstop is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice
Posts: 5,898
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I have learned something today.
Unfortunately I don't think the SOA will count this for their continuing education requirements.

-Riley
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-27-2016, 03:51 PM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
You're giving the AO way too much credit here.

Perhaps the purpose for this thread is that you can't always rely on the AO's advice to be correct? :P I think a lot of actuaries have a knack for wanting to extrapolate their knowledge to areas outside of their exposure and at times that is going to be wrong. Such is life.

-Riley
Based on this post, I might consider you an honorary actuary, Riley.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
riley being riley

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.26250 seconds with 10 queries