Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #111  
Old 06-22-2018, 08:57 AM
almost_there almost_there is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 115
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
I've thought. And I'm not convinced that the claimant is a reliable witness. Has there been evidence of this failure of the complaints process?
These are facts the Claimant would have to show evidence for in Court.

The Claimant notes he asked them over 10 times whether they marked his exam paper Y/N and no answer given. Think.
  #112  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:05 AM
almost_there almost_there is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 115
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
I've thought. And I'm not convinced that the claimant is a reliable witness.
Why do you say that exactly?
  #113  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 AM
GargoyleWaiting's Avatar
GargoyleWaiting GargoyleWaiting is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Favorite beer: the closest one
Posts: 6,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_there View Post

The Claimant notes he asked them over 10 times whether they marked his exam paper Y/N and no answer given. Think.
They told him they had his result. That clearly wasn't the reposne the claimant wanted but we don't know what specific question the claimant asked or what the exact response was.
It's not clear if the IFoA staff member was lying, being truthful but unhelpful, or giving the full story as they had it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFActuary View Post
But the mosquitoes in New Brunswick Bay of Fundy did mess with my understanding of some limited loss functions
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
  #114  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IroningBoard View Post
Edit: almost_there has a long history of posting on the “acted” forums (UK Actuarial education company). He has spent years complaining that he is being discriminated against because he can’t pass certain exams. If he spent as much time studying as he spent complaining he would be a fellow by now. I recommend reading his post history on Acted.co.uk

One such exam is “Communications”, which previously involved an oral presentation and a written report. Despite almost_there’s claims that he is an excellent communicator, he has been unable to pass the exams.
lol so much more clear now. I'll forego the "Office Space" reference. Everybody already knows which one I mean.
  #115  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:09 AM
almost_there almost_there is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 115
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
They told him they had his result. That clearly wasn't the reposne the claimant wanted but we don't know what specific question the claimant asked or what the exact response was.
It's not clear if the IFoA staff member was lying, being truthful but unhelpful, or giving the full story as they had it.
Again you make comments showing you have not read the Claimant's particulars of claim, on this occasion paragraph 19. Is this how you conduct your actuarial career?
  #116  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:10 AM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_there View Post
No no, think means "think".
Ok.

I think you're rude and obnoxious.

I think the IroningBoard was absolutely correct about the deficiencies in your communication skills as well as the lack of self-awareness about them.

I think if you pull this kind of **** IRL you are likely frustrated not only with your lack of exam progress but also with your inability to effect change at your workplace, even though you think you're smarter than all the idiots you work with/for.

I think this thread isn't going anywhere near how you had hoped, and I think it's completely sure to your inability to communicate clearly, succinctly, and persuasively.

I think if you want me, and anyone else reading this thread, to think differently, you're going to have to start engaging in dialogue in good faith rather than 'tilting at windmills' as Farmboy so adeptly put it.

I think I don't care about this "issue" and you've not given me any reason to.

I think I've spent more time on this than it deserves.

I think I'm done.

Last edited by Marcie; 06-22-2018 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Typo
  #117  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 AM
almost_there almost_there is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 115
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Ok.

I think you're rude and obnoxious.

I think the IroningBoard was absolutely correct about the deficiencies in your communication skills as well as the lack of self-awareness about them.

I think if you pull this kind of **** IRL you are likely frustrated not only with your lack of exam progress but also with your inability to effect change at your workplace, even though you think you're smarter than all the idiots you work with/for.

I think this thread isn't going anywhere near how you had hoped, and I think it's completely sure to your inability to communicate clearly, succinctly, and persuasively.

I think if you want me, and anyone else reading this thread, to think differently, you're going to have to start engaging in dialogue in good faith rather than 'tilting at windmills' as Farmboy so adeptly put it.

I think I don't care about this "issue" and you've not given me any reason to.

I think I've spent more time on this than it deserves.

I think I'm done.
You misunderstand.

A document has been presented. I read it very carefully. Others clearly have not and have proceeded to make a series of ignorant comments about it, which shows they haven't read it carefully. In addition they have made inaccurate statements with regards to legislation. I'm providing corrections, mindful that I am not here to spoon feed or push my own opinions, hence inviting them to think for themselves.
  #118  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:20 AM
GargoyleWaiting's Avatar
GargoyleWaiting GargoyleWaiting is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Favorite beer: the closest one
Posts: 6,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_there View Post
Why do you say that exactly?
The ET shared by the OP contains a number of assumptions, allegations and unwarranted conclusions. To the extent that I can't take his views at face value, and will only be persuaded by facts.

For example:

On failing an exam:
"The Claimant was very disappointed as considered his preperation meticulous and attempt very good thus he expected to pass"

On the exam conselling report:
"The Claimant was left unimpressed by aspects of this report. When he made complaints Karen Brocklesby intervened"

On the SAR:
"The Claimant considers the Registrar Karen Brocklesby of having a duty of care towards him and fellow students. In this situation, especially as she was handling the SAR, then surely she could have asked 'what do you mean no marks? Everyone should have two sets of marks!' and got the matter investigated. The Claimant believes he is a victim of a cover-up and that she has many questions to answer ont his matter"


I could go on, but it's a pain in the arse to copy stuff from a png file.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFActuary View Post
But the mosquitoes in New Brunswick Bay of Fundy did mess with my understanding of some limited loss functions
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
  #119  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:25 AM
GargoyleWaiting's Avatar
GargoyleWaiting GargoyleWaiting is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Favorite beer: the closest one
Posts: 6,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_there View Post
Again you make comments showing you have not read the Claimant's particulars of claim, on this occasion paragraph 19. Is this how you conduct your actuarial career?
I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
They told him they had his result. That clearly wasn't the reposne the claimant wanted but we don't know what specific question the claimant asked or what the exact response was.
It's not clear if the IFoA staff member was lying, being truthful but unhelpful, or giving the full story as they had it.
Para 19 says:
Quote:
Moreover, the Claimant has asked the Respondent at least 10 times if they had marked his 2012 SA2 April attempt. They have not provided a simple affirmative "yes" answer to this direction question nor shown any evidence they have actually marked it, except to state they hold the grade. Having a grade does not convince the Claimant his attempt was marked. Without affirmative evidence that he was marked it point to an unsubstantiated fail grade awarded - a clear detriment
Taking out the unwarranted conclusion, I think I've summarised what we know fairly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFActuary View Post
But the mosquitoes in New Brunswick Bay of Fundy did mess with my understanding of some limited loss functions
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
  #120  
Old 06-22-2018, 09:25 AM
Dr. Claw's Avatar
Dr. Claw Dr. Claw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 133
Default



At some point, one would think that the repeated refrain of "improve your communication" from numerous people would cause OP, um, complainant, AT to rethink his posts and explain better to a mostly non-uk audience.

AT, are you related to KingOfAnts? or TZK?
__________________
I'll get you next time, Gadget!!
Closed Thread

Tags
acted, britain, ehrc, ifoa, racism, victimisation

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.49086 seconds with 9 queries