Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 9 (old Part 8) - Financial Risk & Rate of Return
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #6091  
Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 AM
trueblade's Avatar
trueblade trueblade is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Castlevania
Studying for Freedom
Posts: 505
Default

What??? 52% passing ratio vs 38% for exam 7...unreal
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #6092  
Old 07-13-2018, 10:28 AM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 15,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversely Selected View Post
While I don't care because I passed, still surprised the pass mark was so high. I really thought this exam was much more difficult than prior exams, yet it is a relatively high pass mark.
I'm not that surprised given I passed. I thought other than the IQs this exam was fairly straightforward and fair. I did poorly on the IQs but good on the rest. They must have been quiet lenient on the IQs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #6093  
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM
trueblade's Avatar
trueblade trueblade is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Castlevania
Studying for Freedom
Posts: 505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
I'm not that surprised given I passed. I thought other than the IQs this exam was fairly straightforward and fair. I did poorly on the IQs but good on the rest. They must have been quiet lenient on the IQs.
Know some folks who saved the two IQs at the very end of the exam...failed hard
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #6094  
Old 07-13-2018, 11:24 AM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 15,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
Know some folks who saved the two IQs at the very end of the exam...failed hard
I saved them for the end as well. Would have failed otherwise. I ran out of time on them, but I don't think I would have gotten significantly more points if I spent more time on the IQs, but would have gotten less points on questions 18-20
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #6095  
Old 07-13-2018, 11:44 AM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,154
Default

Looking at the examiners report for 7 and 8, it seemed they were pretty lenient on the IQs.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #6096  
Old 07-13-2018, 01:56 PM
|B|rad |B|rad is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Saw their answer for 1a. Wasn't satisfied. Closed examiner's report.
Because you based your portfolio answer on information ratio, right?

Is this what the report means when they say that a common error was responding based on Utility Theory and not CAPM?

Just wondering if this is appeal-able.
Reply With Quote
  #6097  
Old 07-13-2018, 02:01 PM
Abelian Grape's Avatar
Abelian Grape Abelian Grape is offline
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 41,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by |B|rad View Post
Because you based your portfolio answer on information ratio, right?

Is this what the report means when they say that a common error was responding based on Utility Theory and not CAPM?

Just wondering if this is appeal-able.
Yes, because there should be no alphas in CAPM. Information ratio literally comes up in the text when in the context of adding individual stocks to diversified risky portfolios.
Reply With Quote
  #6098  
Old 07-13-2018, 05:04 PM
Adversely Selected's Avatar
Adversely Selected Adversely Selected is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
College: MSU Alum
Favorite beer: M43 (N.E. IPA)
Posts: 1,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
I saved them for the end as well. Would have failed otherwise. I ran out of time on them, but I don't think I would have gotten significantly more points if I spent more time on the IQs, but would have gotten less points on questions 18-20
I did the same as well. During the reading period I decided my goal was to try to nail the 70% of the exam that was not the IQ questions, then I would maximize my partial credit on the IQ's.

I thought I did very well on the 70% and had an hour to work the 2 IQ's to overcome mistakes made on the other 70% and any needed points to put me above the pass mark.
__________________
Exams: FCAS
Reply With Quote
  #6099  
Old 07-15-2018, 03:17 AM
Tacoactuary's Avatar
Tacoactuary Tacoactuary is offline
Member
CAS Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
College: Vanderbilt, UIUC
Favorite beer: Yazoo Sue
Posts: 1,128
Default

I'm sure I would consider an appeal if I could remember anything I did.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #6100  
Old 07-16-2018, 10:25 AM
cmoibenlepro's Avatar
cmoibenlepro cmoibenlepro is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal
Studying for Vegas
Posts: 1,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoactuary View Post
I'm sure I would consider an appeal if I could remember anything I did.
__________________
SOA: P FM M C FAP1 FA ASA
CAS: OC1 OC2 5 6C ACAS 7 8 9 FCAS
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
#hawaii2019, #hawaii2019 was here, #jasonplz, #tbe here we come, #vegas2018, #willyplz, algebra exam, hardest exam ever, kill me, last exam ever, nailed it, second to last exam, third to last exam, wtf was that

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.23220 seconds with 10 queries