Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 01-25-2016, 10:31 PM
CAS

College: Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActurialMike View Post
Anybody know when the June registration opens up? Not that I'm in a major hurry; just curious.
I would guess it would open up after the February exam sitting. At least that's what happened when I registered for MFE~

P FM MFE C S
VEEs
Course 1 Course 2
Old 01-26-2016, 09:25 AM
SOA

Studying for ERM

Finishing Section A of TIA this week (Loss Models). A little less than 5 months before the exam. Probably a little ahead of schedule but better than behind right?

FSA Exams: LP | LFV | ERM
FSA Modules: Reg & Tax | ERM | Financial Econ | DMAC
Old 01-26-2016, 09:34 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Given the amount of material on this exam, especially compared to the other prelims, you'll definitely want to have as much time to retain all the info and do practice tests as you can. GL.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:02 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLActuary View Post
Finishing Section A of TIA this week (Loss Models). A little less than 5 months before the exam. Probably a little ahead of schedule but better than behind right?
Starting this weekend. I like your motto.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:35 AM
SOA

Studying for ERM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Given the amount of material on this exam, especially compared to the other prelims, you'll definitely want to have as much time to retain all the info and do practice tests as you can. GL.
Oh yeah for sure. From my current schedule, I give myself two and a half months to review, do practice problems, and do practice exams.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:15 AM
SOA

Studying for QFI IRM

Quote:
Oh yeah for sure. From my current schedule, I give myself two and a half months to review, do practice problems, and do practice exams.
2.5 months review?! Seems excessive.. I'd suggest 6 weeks tops. Go through the material at a steady pace the first time so you retain as much as possible
Old 01-27-2016, 10:14 AM
SOA

ok captain america civil war before this exam on may
Old 01-27-2016, 10:29 AM
SOA

Studying for ILA-LRM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalile View Post
2.5 months review?! Seems excessive.. I'd suggest 6 weeks tops. Go through the material at a steady pace the first time so you retain as much as possible
I usually do the same for my exams. Roughly half of my time is dedicated to review/practice problems. This was especially true for C (not by choice, I failed a few times). The excessive practice is what helped me. There is so much material in C that the only way I could personally retain it was by doing every problem under the sun - which takes awhile.

Each person is different, but I totally understand wanting a few months to review.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Von Matterhorn View Post
I usually do the same for my exams. Roughly half of my time is dedicated to review/practice problems. This was especially true for C (not by choice, I failed a few times). The excessive practice is what helped me. There is so much material in C that the only way I could personally retain it was by doing every problem under the sun - which takes awhile.

Each person is different, but I totally understand wanting a few months to review.
I think by this point everyone figured out what works best for him/her so to each their own. My ideal schedule thus far: two months of learning the material from scratch, one month of review, one month of straight practice problems. Hoping to do the same for C.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:50 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM

Yeah I've found I learn a lot better reviewing than learning it the first time around. If I don't know how to do a problem, I refer back to the lesson and learn that way. Eventually after so many problems, I've looked over the material pretty much all over again. I usually try to learn the material quickly and do all the practice problems and then review and do practice problems