Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #191  
Old 06-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Tetsuo's Avatar
Tetsuo Tetsuo is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 325
Default

I got a question about look back options two times in a row on ADAPT. I've never heard of this until now? wtf?
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 06-08-2017, 09:01 PM
bjc2142's Avatar
bjc2142 bjc2142 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Boston
Studying for nothing for fall '18
Favorite beer: Asahi Draft
Posts: 734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridocyclitis View Post
Also if you don't mind me asking.... what's up with all you people above taking MFE now? Some of you already took upper CAS exams like exam 5 and 6.
I had P, FM, C when I joined P/C company. Then I took S, 5, 6 and online courses. About 1/3 of coworkers who started with me is taking MFE after Exam 5.

1. Upper levels are more relevant and actually useful at work. MFE is so irrelevant.
2. July is the only reasonable sitting out of three to sit for between Spring and Fall CAS Exams (leaves 2 month to study for MFE and ~4months for upper level exam in Fall)
3. Heard it's getting easier in July, so why not wait

Pretty sure this is very uncommon in SOA side because only prelims are needed for ASA. for CAS it's prelims+5+6, so order didn't really matter. Actually knowing material from 5 is critical if working in P/C company.
__________________
ACAS | 7 | 8 | 9
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 06-08-2017, 09:26 PM
kadsura kadsura is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Studying for the heck of it
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Disreputable Dog View Post
I've taken 5 and 6 already too, but not nearly as rapid-fire as other people. I like to savor the misery. In answer to your question though, I mistakenly took some time off from exams after college. 5 and 6 just seemed more relevant to my job, so I did those before getting back into the prelims. Don't stop taking exams, folks. You'll regret it if you do.

Has anyone done the practice problems from the SOA? What did you think of the difficultly level? I just finished the intro to derivatives material, and it seemed suspiciously shallow.
Where do you find the practice problems? I can't seem to find the SOA 76 that used to there, and I don't see new ones.
__________________
1 2 3 4 S 5 6 7 8 9
VE VCF OC1 OC2 COP
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 06-08-2017, 09:27 PM
kadsura kadsura is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Studying for the heck of it
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc2142 View Post
I had P, FM, C when I joined P/C company. Then I took S, 5, 6 and online courses. About 1/3 of coworkers who started with me is taking MFE after Exam 5.

1. Upper levels are more relevant and actually useful at work. MFE is so irrelevant.
2. July is the only reasonable sitting out of three to sit for between Spring and Fall CAS Exams (leaves 2 month to study for MFE and ~4months for upper level exam in Fall)
3. Heard it's getting easier in July, so why not wait

Pretty sure this is very uncommon in SOA side because only prelims are needed for ASA. for CAS it's prelims+5+6, so order didn't really matter. Actually knowing material from 5 is critical if working in P/C company.
__________________
1 2 3 4 S 5 6 7 8 9
VE VCF OC1 OC2 COP
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 06-09-2017, 12:33 PM
The Disreputable Dog's Avatar
The Disreputable Dog The Disreputable Dog is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Studying for prelims
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Worldwide Stout
Posts: 828
Default

I found links to the practice questions somewhere in the ASM manual.

https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/m...erivatives.pdf
https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/m...erivatives.pdf

https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/m...erivatives.pdf

It think these are intended for the July, 2017 sitting. There's a note at the beginning of the advanced derivatives pdf which says "some of these remaining items... may refer to 'stock prices following geometric Brownian motion.' In such instances, use the following phrase instead: 'stock prices are lognormally distributed.'" Which sounds like an appropriate modification for the new syllabus.

Last edited by The Disreputable Dog; 06-09-2017 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: fixed a link
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 06-09-2017, 12:56 PM
The Disreputable Dog's Avatar
The Disreputable Dog The Disreputable Dog is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Studying for prelims
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Worldwide Stout
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc2142 View Post
I had P, FM, C when I joined P/C company. Then I took S, 5, 6 and online courses. About 1/3 of coworkers who started with me is taking MFE after Exam 5.
So this may be your ACAS exam?? That's awesome! You've got to be pretty excited!
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 06-09-2017, 01:33 PM
kadsura kadsura is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Studying for the heck of it
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Disreputable Dog View Post
I found links to the practice questions somewhere in the ASM manual.

https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/m...erivatives.pdf
https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/m...erivatives.pdf

https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/m...erivatives.pdf

It think these are intended for the July, 2017 sitting. There's a note at the beginning of the advanced derivatives pdf which says "some of these remaining items... may refer to 'stock prices following geometric Brownian motion.' In such instances, use the following phrase instead: 'stock prices are lognormally distributed.'" Which sounds like an appropriate modification for the new syllabus.
Fantastic! Much appreciated.

Is your 2nd and 3rd link the same? So looks like there are 2, introductory derivatives and advanced derivatives?
__________________
1 2 3 4 S 5 6 7 8 9
VE VCF OC1 OC2 COP
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 06-09-2017, 01:35 PM
kadsura kadsura is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Studying for the heck of it
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Disreputable Dog View Post
So this may be your ACAS exam?? That's awesome! You've got to be pretty excited!
Reading the exam 6 thread, looks like he's also waiting exam 6 result. Though I have no doubt he'll pass.
__________________
1 2 3 4 S 5 6 7 8 9
VE VCF OC1 OC2 COP
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 06-09-2017, 01:41 PM
kadsura kadsura is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Studying for the heck of it
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Disreputable Dog View Post
I found links to the practice questions somewhere in the ASM manual.

https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/m...erivatives.pdf
https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/m...erivatives.pdf

https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/m...erivatives.pdf

It think these are intended for the July, 2017 sitting. There's a note at the beginning of the advanced derivatives pdf which says "some of these remaining items... may refer to 'stock prices following geometric Brownian motion.' In such instances, use the following phrase instead: 'stock prices are lognormally distributed.'" Which sounds like an appropriate modification for the new syllabus.
Looks like the intro derivatives pdf is question only?

Does not seem to be too difficult, though.
__________________
1 2 3 4 S 5 6 7 8 9
VE VCF OC1 OC2 COP
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 06-09-2017, 01:47 PM
The Disreputable Dog's Avatar
The Disreputable Dog The Disreputable Dog is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Studying for prelims
College: Somersby School
Favorite beer: Worldwide Stout
Posts: 828
Default

Nope, I did that wrong, sorry. I couldn't find it in the ASM manual again, so I pasted history from my browser. There are solutions for the intro derivatives material. They're just a separate pdf.

https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/m...erivatives.pdf
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
guinea pigs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.48434 seconds with 10 queries