Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 01-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireDunphy View Post
I tried starting that process in August. My boss said she didn’t know how to promote someone. There hasn’t been a follow up since. Annual review should be a real joy.
Well, it sounds like your boss acted fine to me. If my boss responded like yours, I would have hounded him every week until he either said it wasn't happening or that he figured out how it worked. It appears I will be getting promoted this year, and my process was:
1. Ask in September because I needed to get the ball rolling
2. Follow up a couple of weeks later
3. Follow up again in October
4. See how things were progressing in November
5. Unofficial confirmation in January
6 (hopefully). Annual review in February makes it all official

These things take a lot of effort, and it isn't their typical day to day work in most cases. Manage upwards.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:15 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
I hope you are working with the site sponsor. And also networking.
I am doing both. Things froze up around the holidays but seem to be moving forward again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
Well, it sounds like your boss acted fine to me. If my boss responded like yours, I would have hounded him every week until he either said it wasn't happening or that he figured out how it worked. It appears I will be getting promoted this year, and my process was:
1. Ask in September because I needed to get the ball rolling
2. Follow up a couple of weeks later
3. Follow up again in October
4. See how things were progressing in November
5. Unofficial confirmation in January
6 (hopefully). Annual review in February makes it all official

These things take a lot of effort, and it isn't their typical day to day work in most cases. Manage upwards.
Let me clarify. I have followed up multiple times. Asking what I need to improve on, what options there are, how to progress. The result has consistently been “I don’t know” and the conversation shifting to technical work details for upcoming deadlines.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Notes Contributor
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post

Obvious response: "Well this will be a great professional development opportunity for you too then!"
I love this!!
Old 01-19-2018, 03:52 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
I am doing both. Things froze up around the holidays but seem to be moving forward again.

Let me clarify. I have followed up multiple times. Asking what I need to improve on, what options there are, how to progress. The result has consistently been “I don’t know” and the conversation shifting to technical work details for upcoming deadlines.
Classic stalling. They can't/won't promote you, but they need to keep you around for your technical know how.

I do not understand why you are still at that company.

"On a reflection of Tyranny. To abandon facts is to abandon freedom. If nothing is true, then no one can criticize power because there is no basis upon which to do so. Post-truth is pre-fascism.”
Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Sorry about my initial response then. In this case, I recommend working just enough not to get fired, with all effort focused on either passing exams or finding a new job. You should spend as little time as possible working with people who are such poor leaders and/or communicators. Sounds like you're on the right track already
Old 01-19-2018, 04:38 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

She is an FSA with a bunch of PQE.

"On a reflection of Tyranny. To abandon facts is to abandon freedom. If nothing is true, then no one can criticize power because there is no basis upon which to do so. Post-truth is pre-fascism.”
Old 01-19-2018, 06:51 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Classic stalling. They can't/won't promote you, but they need to keep you around for your technical know how.

I do not understand why you are still at that company.
Yes, classic stalling. Hiring seemed slow during Q4 and by November I decided not to walk away from my sizeable bonus to be paid next month. I have multiple interviews next week and should have something different soon.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:41 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Yes, classic stalling. Hiring seemed slow during Q4 and by November I decided not to walk away from my sizeable bonus to be paid next month. I have multiple interviews next week and should have something different soon.
Congrats. Well played. Whatever happens (i.e. if one of these see opportunities doesn't pan out ASAP), don't get conned into waiting for things to improve where you are. Odds are they won't. Just keep pounding the pavement. When a company tells you loud and clear that your best opportunities for advancement are elsewhere, believe them - even if they try to take it back. There are MUCH better companies out there.