Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > CAS Exam S
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

CAS Exam S Previously "CAS 3 - specific material" forum

Old 05-18-2018, 04:26 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
The "center" only increases if you can eliminate one of the choices. Also if you have a raw score of 58 with 0 variance because you're confident in your 29 questions, that's a lot better than an expected score of 60 with lots of guesses.

I stand by what I said that guessing is only a good strategy if you think you'll fail otherwise. Everyone should just spend more time with the material so you don't have to guess much anyways.
Personally, I had a certain number of questions I was confident on (not sure of the exact amount) and got two of those such wrong for whatever reason. If that number was 29 and I decided not to answer the other 16, I would be in danger of not passing. 0 variance is pretty unrealistic. Is a 53-59 better than a 52-62? I am not sure.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnsoccer15 View Post
This isn't very productive... Let people take exams the way they want

I actually appreciate the discussion, but would prefer it framed as “I do it this way and here’s why” instead of this “you’re dumb if you don’t do it my way” tone I’m noticing.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:17 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Saying that guessing is always a good strategy is not my cup of tea.
Even if I could eliminate 3 choices out of 5, you have take into account the overall probability of passing given how many you were able to answer confidently. If the historical passing mark has been around 50 to 55 out of 90 points, and I answered about 30 questions confidently, how the hell is guessing a good strategy.

Last edited by VA-Mod├●┤; 05-21-2018 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Unprofessional expression of one's opinion
Old 05-21-2018, 01:10 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
Saying that guessing is always a good strategy is [edited].
Even if I could eliminate 3 choices out of 5, you have take into account the overall probability of passing given how many you were able to answer confidently. If the historical passing mark has been around 50 to 55 out of 90 points, and I answered about 30 questions confidently, how the hell is guessing a good strategy.
Still a professional area... I'd limit use of offensive language.

Last edited by VA-Mod├●┤; 05-21-2018 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: quoted post contained unprofessional comment
Old 05-21-2018, 08:46 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
Saying that guessing is always a good strategy is [edited].
Answering a question confidently and answering the question correctly are not the same thing. If you answer correctly on 90% of the questions you answered confidently, which is a pretty feasible percentage, you are in danger of not passing at a 52.5. If you add on a binomial distribution to that 52.5 with let's say 5 guesses at 50/50, there is a 3% chance it hurts you, 16% chance it doesn't affect you, and an 81% chance it helps you. You can obviously do similar math with a different number of questions and/or confidence.

I understand that it doesn't make sense to answer all/most questions in every situation, but I think people let this "penalty" scare them from answering more questions than they should. My advice is for people to consider answering more questions than they otherwise would. If you don't want to, then so be it. I answered all 45, and I know for a fact it greatly helped my score.

Last edited by VA-Mod├●┤; 05-21-2018 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: quoted post contained unprofessional comment
Old 05-21-2018, 02:08 PM
CAS

Is it June 18th yet?
Old 05-21-2018, 03:21 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherCareerChanger View Post
Is it June 18th yet?
It can be . . . if you have enough power . . .

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-22-2018, 01:46 PM
CAS

Last day to send them in -- any specific questions people are challenging more than others?