Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Professional Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:49 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: trappistes rochefort 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post

Perhaps you mean CFAs who are in positions that have specific fiduciary duties. That's determined by their job, not their letters. CFAs in general are no less self-interested than any others. I work in the same room as some traders with CFAs who are plenty self-interested. They just knock out a CFA as a cheap hedge in case they lose their seat.
the preferred nomenclature is "CFA charterholder"
perhaps I am myself again.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter buffalo View Post
the preferred nomenclature is "CFA charterholder"
Preferred by those who benefit from a general perception that CFA is a prestigious designation.

CAS fellowship holder
PhD dissertation defender

CFA charterholders need to get over themselves.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
Preferred by those who benefit from a general perception that CFA is a prestigious designation.

CAS fellowship holder

Getting over yourself results in an immediate expulsion from the CFA Institute.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:36 PM
SOA

Quote:

CAS fellowship holder

I proofread a resume of a CFA exam candidate once. They are not actually allowed to say that they passed the first two exams... no joke.

Unacceptable:
"Passed CFA Charterholder exams 1 and 2"

Acceptable:
"Candidate for CFA Charterholder exam 3"

ETA: Actually, I just double-checked this and it seems that this has changed. But 15 years ago, that was a true statement. Now it's even more complicated. http://www.300hours.com/articles/max...v#.VnBB_EorJhE

Last edited by twig93; 12-15-2015 at 12:40 PM..
Old 12-15-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLee View Post
I don't trust the CPA salary surveys, I always look at my company's pay scale instead and then see what my colleagues with the CPAs, Actuaries and CFAs are at.

I think as an Actuary in Canada, I think a FCIA will earn probably $100 to $180k, and this is highly dependant on experience, region and practice area. I am talking about base salary. Non cash compensation is probably $10 to $30k. Young actuaries earn probably just over $100k and 60 year old actuaries earn closer to the $180k mark. This is what I've seen looking up at my colleagues salaries.

CPAs usually start around $70k and have $10-$15k non-cash benefits.

When I got my CPA, I got jobs offering in the $85k + range, with about $15k non-cash benefit. I've seen people with Sr Manager/Director titles with CPAs (and have a MBA as well), and they earn easily $150k to $180k. and these people are in their 40s.

Actuarial analysts what I've seen in my region, (Western Canada), earn probably starting at $50k plus maybe $10k non cash benefits.

So it depends on region, jurisdiction, area of practice, etc.

I think with any of those three designations, you will be earning at least $100k base salary within your life time. Canada tends to pay lower than US from what I've seen.

Please note that I am not talking about management positions. Management positions make between $3 million to $10 million - 15 million easily. And people with CPAs, Actuaries, CFAs, Law degrees usually hold them. It is super hard getting management position, I think you need to develop more of your soft skills to get those roles.
Market for actuarial analysts look pretty shitty around your area JackLee, plus getting in the higher salary ranges (at least in the actuarial world) take much longer and much more effort than in the accountancy world.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
I proofread a resume of a CFA exam candidate once. They are not actually allowed to say that they passed the first two exams... no joke.

Unacceptable:
"Passed CFA Charterholder exams 1 and 2"

Acceptable:
"Candidate for CFA Charterholder exam 3"

ETA: Actually, I just double-checked this and it seems that this has changed. But 15 years ago, that was a true statement. Now it's even more complicated. http://www.300hours.com/articles/max...v#.VnBB_EorJhE
Candidates are allowed to say they've passed exams. They just can't make a statement that implies they are somehow more elite than others based on their speed of passing.

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 12-15-2015, 03:29 PM
SOA

This stuff is so important to them they ask questions about how to use the CFA designation on the real exams.

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:

Tags
accounting, career, cfa, cpa, finance