Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FE Module
College: University of Kentucky '94
Favorite beer: IBC Root
Default Waiting for FA result support group

I think we need a forum dedicated to whining, complaining, and moaning about how the FA grading process affects us personally. A forum for irrational musings and emotional outbursts.

I just submitted my first stab at the FA (note how I am brimming with confidence) this morning, so I have little to say at this point.

I always equivocate. Always.

Eschew obfuscation!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:06 PM

I've been hesitant to openly complain about the delay so far. I'm paranoid about the SOA being able to trace my name through my AO profile, then fail me out of spite.

Besides, I only submitted on December 16th.... I ought to be a little more patient. I know there are people that have been waiting longer!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:29 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FE Module

To be clear:

When I speak of complaining, I don't really mean complaining about the SOA. I am perfectly aware that the graders are volunteers and that everyone is busy. And I think they really do a very good job of getting results to candidates as promised. Or at least nearly as promised.

I think this forum is ideal for comments such as these:

"It's been six weeks now. Now when I check my e-mail, I hope not to see anything from the SOA, because results after two graders = fail."

"It's been five weeks now, so I suppose I was failed by the first grader. I was so pleased when I uploaded the assignment; now I'm looking at my calendar, trying to decide the best time to try again."

"Submitted four weeks ago, and I'm still waiting....."

"This is making me crazy. I'm checking my e-mail every 15 minutes, and I can't concentrate on anything. I don't know if I can take four more weeks of this."

Get the idea?

By the way, I just checked my e-mail. The next seven weeks are going to be pure bliss!

Eschew obfuscation!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:31 AM

Studying for AFE

Day 33 ... sigh
Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 AM

Day 36.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again here... forward the e-mail from the results address "fap@soa.org" to your phone! You should be able to set up a filter on your e-mail to forward your e-mail as a text message to your phone. That alleviates the "I check my e-mail 37 times a day" anxiety at least. Also, if you're fortunate enough to own a Blackberry or other PDA, you can set up an exception so that when the e-mail comes through to your phone it vibrates and beeps loudly... That alleviates the "every time I get an e-mail I freak out" anxiety too....

If it helps, I think the SOA slows down around the holidays. ALSO, useful information: The SOA releases the papers to the graders in order. So if you've been waiting five weeks, it may only have been with the first grader for one week, as I understand it!

Good luck everyone!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FE Module
Default New thought today...

Many observed an apparent slow-down in IA and FA grading over the recent holidays.

It occurred to me today that, in addition to holidays happening, there were DP exams to be graded through November and December.

This leads me to suspect that (a) we may see quicker grading in the near future (as it seems we already have, to some degree), and (b) there could be a similar slow-down after May 1.

Reasonable? Or are the FA graders and DP graders, for instance, disjoint sets?

Eschew obfuscation!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing!!
Favorite beer: Anything with Drinkability!

Throw in the fact that the 4th quarter just ended and I think the slow down is completely explainable. I think there's a seasonality study posted somewhere that shows the turnaround times by submission month. That might bring some peace of mind...
Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 PM

Edit: I am now hoping that my results take longer, as I feel it is likely I failed the first grader. Submitted Dec 5th.

Last edited by 31n5te1n; 01-13-2009 at 08:41 PM..
Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing.

Hey Lou, just thought I would join your club for waiting on the FA. I submitted mine this morning.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FE Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktz View Post
Hey Lou, just thought I would join your club for waiting on the FA. I submitted mine this morning.
Excellent. Good to see you again, Sparktz. And thanks for keeping my spirits up in the IA support group!

Here's to a successful result for all!

Eschew obfuscation!

Tags
elearn useless, fa results, i am in - add exams, posthumous asa, the fa gives me gas, ur fees paid 4 my caviar, you gon elearn today boy