Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 11-06-2019, 08:45 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
You guys planning on studying for almost 6 months for this thing? Do you not get much study time at work or something? 6 full months seems crazy.
I like to tell myself I'm starting now but it mostly involves making a pretty version of the syllabus in excel
Old 11-06-2019, 08:55 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
You guys planning on studying for almost 6 months for this thing? Do you not get much study time at work or something? 6 full months seems crazy.
Planning and doing were never equivalent to me when I was taking exams lol

Old 11-06-2019, 09:16 AM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
I like to tell myself I'm starting now but it mostly involves making a pretty version of the syllabus in excel
Lol, yeah I just made an excel sheet for my planned study time at work yesterday since we know it'll be 4/28/2020 now.

After going through 5, 6, and 8 now I feel like I have a decent timeline for these exams and 4 months seems to be the sweet spot for me so that I don't have to feel rushed or cram a ton of studying in at the end.

Finish the first pass through of the material (essentially just watching all the TIA videos) without doing any problems 3 months out.

Finish a second pass through of the material (watch all TIA videos again) with doing quite a few problems in each section to get comfortable with them around 6 weeks out.

Finish reading through the entire TIA manual one more time (without doing problems) around 1 month out.

Finish doing a couple more problems in each section to solidify the concepts and equations 3-4 weeks out.

Then just do past exams and touch up on weak sections for the last few weeks.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:16 AM
CAS

Studying for 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Planning and doing were never equivalent to me when I was taking exams lol
True lol. I like to try to stick to my plan and overplan things out though. I guess it's a personality thing.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:34 AM
CAS

Quote:
Lol, yeah I just made an excel sheet for my planned study time at work yesterday since we know it'll be 4/28/2020 now.

After going through 5, 6, and 8 now I feel like I have a decent timeline for these exams and 4 months seems to be the sweet spot for me so that I don't have to feel rushed or cram a ton of studying in at the end.

Finish the first pass through of the material (essentially just watching all the TIA videos) without doing any problems 3 months out.

Finish a second pass through of the material (watch all TIA videos again) with doing quite a few problems in each section to get comfortable with them around 6 weeks out.

Finish reading through the entire TIA manual one more time (without doing problems) around 1 month out.

Finish doing a couple more problems in each section to solidify the concepts and equations 3-4 weeks out.

Then just do past exams and touch up on weak sections for the last few weeks.
I've never been able to get into the videos.. I find it too easy to zone out, even when I turn up the speed. But I basically do similarly, except instead of watching videos it's me taking notes off the TIA study guides and then taking more refined notes for the next pass, etc.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:41 AM
CAS

Studying for 7

Quote:
I've never been able to get into the videos.. I find it too easy to zone out, even when I turn up the speed. But I basically do similarly, except instead of watching videos it's me taking notes off the TIA study guides and then taking more refined notes for the next pass, etc.
I like the videos a lot, but I guess it's just a learning style thing. I like the feel of a college course. Watching the videos is like the lecture and going back through the manual is like going over my notes (except it's way, way more detailed than my notes would be).

Also when I'm 4 months out from an exam I find it hard to be motivated to read a fairly dense manual, but it's a lot easier to hang out and watch a video on the topic. By the time I'm actually reading the entire TIA manual, I've already gotten a pretty good understanding of each section and have done quite a lot of problems so I know which things are important and which things I need to focus on while reading to fill in the gaps. It makes it a lot easier to focus while reading for me.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:31 AM
CAS

Quote:
I am always feeling perpetually behind on my first sittings of an exam. I've yet to make it to exam day feeling prepared, unless I basically shut down the rest of my life for two months like I did for 8. I've started my first-sitting of every FCAS exam six months out.

I am pretty undisciplined in the first 2 months, but I'm not doing nothing during this time either. I also have a hard time moving on to the next paper until I 100% understand something, which I've now realized isn't very smart for a first pass of the material.

I'm now realizing that while I like to complain that exams are only 6 months apart, I doubt I could take them much faster anyways.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:37 AM
CAS

Quote:
I like the videos a lot, but I guess it's just a learning style thing. I like the feel of a college course. Watching the videos is like the lecture and going back through the manual is like going over my notes (except it's way, way more detailed than my notes would be).

Also when I'm 4 months out from an exam I find it hard to be motivated to read a fairly dense manual, but it's a lot easier to hang out and watch a video on the topic. By the time I'm actually reading the entire TIA manual, I've already gotten a pretty good understanding of each section and have done quite a lot of problems so I know which things are important and which things I need to focus on while reading to fill in the gaps. It makes it a lot easier to focus while reading for me.
Yeah I definitely try to avoid reading the entire TIA manual in close detail more than once/twice. It's more take first, very detailed, new to material type of notes... then go back through and take notes based off those notes cutting out fluff and having it better organized with how I understand it while doing practice problems, also doing a read through of the study guide though to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

Then by the third time it's more abbreviated notes, mostly just getting my train of thought remembering things and more details just around more fringe stuff, etc.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:42 AM
CAS

Studying for 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolChicago View Post
I also have a hard time moving on to the next paper until I 100% understand something, which I've now realized isn't very smart for a first pass of the material.
The more exams I've gone through the more I realize that this is a bad strategy. It's very important (at least for me) to see all the material at a surface level earlier rather than later. It helps you see how everything is connected as you get deeper and deeper into each topic.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:46 AM
CAS

Studying for Hawaii

Quote: