Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #141  
Old 11-13-2019, 01:04 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpyshrimp View Post
here is what I heard: 6 >> 9 > 7 > 8 > 5
Nah, 6 isn't really that hard of an exam, it's just ****ing miserable. Imo, all of the fellowship exams are harder than all the associate exams, and any ordering of 7,8,9 is going to be highly variable from person to person, with any of the 6 being valid for some people.

For me 7 is the hardest. It's my last exam and seems custom made to be an exam to target my weaknesses as a student without any of my strengths
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 11-13-2019, 01:06 PM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpyshrimp View Post
here is what I heard: 6 >> 9 > 7 > 8 > 5
more like fellowship exams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>6>5
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 11-13-2019, 01:07 PM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,137
Default

The candidate pool for Exam 9 is stronger than Exam 7.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 11-13-2019, 01:07 PM
NormalDan's Avatar
NormalDan NormalDan is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 10,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Nah, 6 isn't really that hard of an exam, it's just ****ing miserable. Imo, all of the fellowship exams are harder than all the associate exams, and any ordering of 7,8,9 is going to be highly variable from person to person, with any of the 6 being valid for some people.

For me 7 is the hardest. It's my last exam and seems custom made to be an exam to target my weaknesses as a student without any of my strengths
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 11-13-2019, 01:08 PM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Nah, 6 isn't really that hard of an exam, it's just ****ing miserable. Imo, all of the fellowship exams are harder than all the associate exams, and any ordering of 7,8,9 is going to be highly variable from person to person, with any of the 6 being valid for some people.

For me 7 is the hardest. It's my last exam and seems custom made to be an exam to target my weaknesses as a student without any of my strengths
I am going to point this out. But you were unprepared last exam 7, so you really shouldn't be comparing it.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 11-13-2019, 01:12 PM
NormalDan's Avatar
NormalDan NormalDan is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 10,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
I am going to point this out. But you were unprepared last exam 7, so you really shouldn't be comparing it.
In fairness, pass rates hold up the view as well.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 11-13-2019, 01:17 PM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,137
Default

I do agree this is based off the individual. The questions on exam 7 are a lot more intuitive than the questions on 9. The material on exam 7 is harder to grasp and the candidate pool is weaker.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 11-13-2019, 01:20 PM
NormalDan's Avatar
NormalDan NormalDan is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 10,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
I do agree this is based off the individual. The questions on exam 7 are a lot more intuitive than the questions on 9. The material on exam 7 is harder to grasp and the candidate pool is weaker.
I'd be surprised if there's huge difference in the candidate pools. People who struggle with 7 can very easily switch to take 9 instead.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 11-13-2019, 02:27 PM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
I'd be surprised if there's huge difference in the candidate pools. People who struggle with 7 can very easily switch to take 9 instead.
You didn't see the candidate pool for last year's exam 9. People were studying a minimum of 500 hours. They knew things that were referenced in footnotes of other footnotes mentioned in a footnote in one syllabus reading.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 11-13-2019, 02:28 PM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,137
Default

Exam 7 has a lot more first time upper level exam takers.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.20259 seconds with 10 queries