Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:02 PM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpyshrimp View Post
there are many people in actuarial that don't have math/stat background and i'm one of them. i just can't imagine how you handled 4 and S if you think 1 was the hardest
Those were not easy also but at least I have grasped material from 1. Was much better than I had nothing to go off of and trying to tackle 1
Old 11-14-2019, 02:03 PM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
i don't lol
But did the cat like it?
Old 11-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpyshrimp View Post
i was told to get away from cat modeling. i thought it was a cool job.
running the actual loss analyses is the tedious and annoying part. using the outputs is the fun part imo, like for constructing exposure pricing models.

live laugh love
Old 11-14-2019, 02:18 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post

I know there will be biases up the ass with everyone for these three exams. I spent the least amount of time studying for 7 (relied only study material and spent less than 6 weeks and skipped Brehm) and the most for 9 (read the syllabus materials and spent like 8+ weeks and actually got to take practice exams). When I took 8 and 9 was also when they roided up the IQ problems and I'm pretty sure my sitting of 7 was one of the easier ones.

Exam 8 pissed me off with how they tested it -- remember that question on that super useful graph that someone pulled out of their ass and chose to ask a question on? I've been cat modeling for years and never needed to ever know that information to do my job well.

Exam 9 had that question on CAPM that somewhat contradicted the premises of CAPM. Etc.
I know exactly the "graph", most absurd graph ever. I actually refer to that problem by the name of a friend from work who was outraged by that problem when he took the exam. He never failed an exam but that problem really riled him up.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:20 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadsura View Post
I think this is highly dependent on which message board you are on. When I had 2 exams people were saying 4/C was the hardest, then once I have all the prelims people are saying 6 is the hardest of them all because of the memorization. Now I'm in the fellowship exams thread these fellowship exams became the most difficult of THEM ALL.

I think a proper measure is "relative difficulty" - how much you know already (from previous exams, life, etc), versus how much you are expected to know for the this one.

Most of you probably won't agree with me on this one, but as someone who doesn't have a maths/stat background, exam 1/P was by far the most difficult for me.
I completely agree that a fairer comparison really looks at the difficulty of the exams relative to the level of the candidates taking them, and on that metric I'd say the exams are pretty equivalent in relative difficulty as you progress.

I didn't have any study support for P/FM so those were super hard because it took great effort to just find the time to get the hours in.

C/S were tough just because it was now "ok you've got study hours, now u actually gotta work for it".

Then 5/6 OK no more babying with this multiple choice math problem tests

Then 7/8/9 OK you know what ur doing now so see if you can catch the kitchen sink!
Old 11-14-2019, 05:34 PM
CAS

Does CF give you access to their videos again if you failed last year?
Old 11-14-2019, 09:23 PM
CAS

Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
I think so. Did you get the CF/RF combo or just CF last year? If the deal was the same as this year for CF/RF, you get a 6 month extension if you want. Thanks for reminding me. I'll ask for mine.
https://cfrf-courses.thinkific.com/c...online-seminar

Last edited by Candidate X; 11-14-2019 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Clarify CF/RF combo vs CF standalone
Old 11-15-2019, 09:29 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Yes, I just reactivated mine. I believe the entire CF/RF seminar/cookbook can be reaccessed.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:51 AM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

My order of difficulty based on the number of study hours I put in and what score I got (or in 8's case what score I think I'm getting) is:

6>>8>5>>C=MAS1>MFE>P>FM

This is coming from someone with a very, very strong math background, so 6 was definitely the hardest since it had all the memorization.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:39 PM
CAS

I've been through 6 CF videos. I actually think the video is a bit advanced in a way that it assumes you've already read the source before watching it. It skips some content on the manual and move directly to the next topic. It's a bit hard to follow and I have to pause the video many times to digest. This was never a problem when I used TIA for 4, 5, 6. TIA is step-by-step and always helps you review some concepts in case you forget or don't have the knowledge.

I also have the feeling that the video is not very helpful for understanding the concepts. It only scratches the surface but there are a lot to learn underneath. How do you guys use CF? Is the source worth the time?