Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-20-2019, 02:20 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaknight14 View Post
I also recall people who saw all three saying that CF was superior to TIA for this exam, and the cost of CF+RF is less than the cost of TIA+RF, so if you want RF then taking CF instead of TIA is a no-brainer.
This was the final deciding factor to get CF/RF. If I don't pass, I'm totally blaming you, manaknight.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:30 AM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Studying View Post
This was the final deciding factor to get CF/RF. If I don't pass, I'm totally blaming you, manaknight.
2:20 am? Now that's some dedication to exams.

FWIW, I talked to one of my coworkers and was told that TIA did a fine job for 7 and wasn't really any worse than 8. It's just that the FCAS exams have more curveballs than the ACAS ones so it's easy to feel like you weren't prepared adequately when you go in expecting problems similar to previous exams. After going through this year's sitting for 8, I think as long as you get a deep understanding of the material and don't just learn how to do past exam problems any study material will do a good job.

The coworker I asked about it is extremely bright though, so YMMV.

Last edited by amp019372; 12-20-2019 at 08:39 AM..
Old 12-20-2019, 08:48 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
Yeah... I told myself I'd do a full pass through source by YE not long after taking 8. I've managed to almost get through just Brosius, so not exactly going stellar on that front

Have some time off next week so hopefully can at least get a small routine going

totally the same boat here.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:18 PM
CAS

Does anyone know which versions of equations 6.1 and 6.6 of Hurlimann we are supposed to use?

There are inconsistencies between:
* The single source reference link: https://www.actuaries.org/LIBRARY/ASTIN/vol39no1/81.pdf
* The supplemental link provided for corrected Section 7 tables: https://www.actuaries.org/ASTIN/Coll...Huerlimann.pdf
* The complete online source reference: https://www.actuaries.org/ASTIN/Coll...Huerlimann.pdf

(The last two links appear to have the same formulas)

I believe I asked the CAS about this last year, but don't remember getting a response. For now, I'm going to go with the first link since that's what I've written in my notes and what I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the CAS has accepted in the past.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:37 AM
CAS

College: BS

I guess I'm in for my 4th sitting...

I tend to do better the less I post on here though so may lurk and stay quiet!!
Old 12-21-2019, 11:48 AM
CAS

College: BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMON View Post
Has anyone considered doubling up on 7&9 next spring, any thoughts or concerns?
When I doubled up on 7 and 9 I got a 5 and a 0 and felt like I wasted time and money!

I went on a vacation to a spa to reflect whether I should try to double up again or just stick with one! Looking at historical data, I am very heavily leaning on sticking with one, but a part of me wants to try two again for some insane reason...
Old 12-21-2019, 11:59 AM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albedo View Post
When I doubled up on 7 and 9 I got a 5 and a 0 and felt like I wasted time and money!

I went on a vacation to a spa to reflect whether I should try to double up again or just stick with one! Looking at historical data, I am very heavily leaning on sticking with one, but a part of me wants to try two again for some insane reason...
Part of me wants to try doubling up this spring too, but I know I'm too lazy to do it successfully.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:59 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
2:20 am? Now that's some dedication to exams.

FWIW, I talked to one of my coworkers and was told that TIA did a fine job for 7 and wasn't really any worse than 8. It's just that the FCAS exams have more curveballs than the ACAS ones so it's easy to feel like you weren't prepared adequately when you go in expecting problems similar to previous exams. After going through this year's sitting for 8, I think as long as you get a deep understanding of the material and don't just learn how to do past exam problems any study material will do a good job.

The coworker I asked about it is extremely bright though, so YMMV.
I was most likely doing other things that night and just hopped on here before bed. It's way too early to be working on exams until 2am.

Yeah, one of my coworkers had good luck with TIA as well, so either one is probably fine. I mostly picked CF because it had stronger feedback here. Plus, I tend to rely too much on videos. I'm hoping the CF format of using videos to focus on the more complex points will help force me to spend more time in the source material and written study manual. My only concern is I really like the format of the forum in TIA when stuck on specific topics or past exam problems.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidate X View Post
Does anyone know which versions of equations 6.1 and 6.6 of Hurlimann we are supposed to use?

There are inconsistencies between:
* The single source reference link: https://www.actuaries.org/LIBRARY/ASTIN/vol39no1/81.pdf
* The supplemental link provided for corrected Section 7 tables: https://www.actuaries.org/ASTIN/Coll...Huerlimann.pdf
* The complete online source reference: https://www.actuaries.org/ASTIN/Coll...Huerlimann.pdf

(The last two links appear to have the same formulas)

I believe I asked the CAS about this last year, but don't remember getting a response. For now, I'm going to go with the first link since that's what I've written in my notes and what I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the CAS has accepted in the past.
I emailed CAS about this. Admissions Manager Stephanie Litrenta replied on 12/10, "I’ve reached out to the exam 7 leadership to address this. I will follow up with you when I hear back"

Until I hear otherwise I will use t*=√(p) since that is what was on previous examiners reports. Until they clear up the inconsistency, they might have to provide the formula for t* as they did in S18Q3.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:11 PM
CAS

Thanks - I'll be curious to hear their response. Please keep us posted!