Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:14 PM
CAS

Plan to start studying after the new year's day, hopefully there is still enough time
Old 12-31-2019, 10:43 AM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

I've made my first pass at Venter and Clark now (still just watching TIA videos, not doing problems), and I have to say this material seems way more intuitive and easier than exam 8 did on my first pass so far. Definitely still feeling there's more memorization of formulas though.

Still on pace to finish up all the TIA videos by late January around 3 months out and then I'm gonna start on a second pass of the material with diving into problems in each section as I go through.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:50 AM
CAS SOA

I'm still working on Mack (1994). I did take the time to do problems with Brosius, Mack (2000), and Hurlimann
Old 12-31-2019, 11:20 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post
I've made my first pass at Venter and Clark now (still just watching TIA videos, not doing problems), and I have to say this material seems way more intuitive and easier than exam 8 did on my first pass so far. Definitely still feeling there's more memorization of formulas though.

Still on pace to finish up all the TIA videos by late January around 3 months out and then I'm gonna start on a second pass of the material with diving into problems in each section as I go through.
Yeah I agree with your conclusions. Honestly I think the effort required to pass 7 and 8 are likely very similar (having failed 7 once and passed 8...). I do think 7 is a little longer and clearer but the level of overall competency required is very similar I think.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:04 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp019372 View Post

Can you explain the policy year calculations in appendix b of clark for avg age? I understand the expos factor but not that one
Old 12-31-2019, 08:00 PM
CAS

Studying for 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
Can you explain the policy year calculations in appendix b of clark for avg age? I understand the expos factor but not that one
I didn't actually read the source since I'm just watching the TIA videos and looking at the TIA manual, but I just pulled up Clark. Here's my interpretation of Appendix B part 2):

Part 2) calculates the age of the average accident date for the earned period.

For AYs, this is straightforward: If the AY isn't fully earned yet, then t months of it have been earned and t/2 is the age of the average accident date. If the AY has been fully earned, then the average accident date is at 6 months. The age of the average accident date is then just t - 6 months.

For PYs: If t is greater than 24 months, then the Expos(t) = 1 so Clark's formula just reduces to t-12. This makes sense because if we're over 24 months from the beginning of the policy year, the entire policy year has earned out and the average accident date will be 12 months from the beginning of it. For t less than 12 months and t in 12-24 months, this is tricky.

Let's start with t < 12:

We want to find the age of the average accident date for a PY t months into it. We can do this by setting up an integral. I did this on paper and didn't take a picture, so it might be hard to follow (I can upload a pic if you think it'll help). For a policy written x months into the policy year, the age of its average accident date is (t-x)/2. This is because the policy has been in effect for t-x months and at month t the average accident date is x + (t-x)/2. So the age of the average accident date for this policy is t -[x + (t-x)/2] = (t-x)/2. This is what we want to integrate across our triangle. However we have to weight this by the portion of the area that consists of policies written at x. If we take a sliver of width dx of our triangle, then the portion of the total area in this sliver is dx*(t-x)/(0.5*t^2). Therefore, we have to integrate this quantity times (t-x)/2 from 0 to t to get the age of the average accident date as of t months. This gives us t/3. I don't feel like working out t between 12 and 24, but you could do it in a similar way.

Honestly though, I wouldn't focus on stuff like this in studying for the exam. I'd say there's essentially a zero percent chance you'll need to know this or the PY formulas.

Last edited by amp019372; 12-31-2019 at 08:23 PM..
Old 12-31-2019, 08:04 PM
CAS

Studying for 7

Here's an upload of my picture for setting up the integral.

Spoiler:

The weight dx*(t-x)/(0.5t^2) is the portion of that triangle's area that is in the sliver of width dx.

Edit: Sorry the picture size is so large.

Last edited by amp019372; 01-01-2020 at 08:49 AM..
Old 01-01-2020, 01:01 PM
CAS

how many study days/hours do you guys have? I negotiated with my company (a small one) to finally get 5 study days plus the exam day. I heard many big companies offer 15+ days even for repetitive exam takers?
Old 01-01-2020, 02:11 PM
CAS

Studying for 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpyshrimp View Post
how many study days/hours do you guys have? I negotiated with my company (a small one) to finally get 5 study days plus the exam day. I heard many big companies offer 15+ days even for repetitive exam takers?
I get 120 hours per exam sitting. I usually use 1 hour a day for a few months leading up to the exam, then ramp up to 2 hours a day when it gets closer. And I take off around 3 full days right before the exam. 5 days seems really low.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:36 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpyshrimp View Post
116 hours plus the day off. Also exam material covered