Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-14-2020, 10:30 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolChicago View Post
In Venter’s paper, what’s the difference between chain ladder and additive chain ladder other than the way it’s presented? I figured they would produce the same results, but I’m confused by the following CF passage:

-Chain-ladder method assumes that future development for an AY will be proportional to losses emerged to date.
-BF methods take expected emergence in each period to be a percentage of ultimate losses
-Cape Cod and additive chain-ladder models assume that years showing low losses or high losses to date will have the same expected future dollar development (because they assume a constant h over all years)
you could read page 826 of Venter, you could also use the excel file for Venter to try and reproduce the result from the paper found at this link https://risingfellow.com/resources
Old 03-14-2020, 12:22 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
you could read page 826 of Venter, you could also use the excel file for Venter to try and reproduce the result from the paper found at this link https://risingfellow.com/resources
Thanks, that was helpful.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:37 PM
CAS

There’s no graph of residuals over time (from Implication 4) in Venter but I could see that being tested and want to make sure I’m thinking about it correctly. Would that look the same as the graph of residuals against losses, but the x axis would be AY? So basically, we would basically be reordering the residuals from sorting by loss size to sorting by AY.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:32 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolChicago View Post
Thereís no graph of residuals over time (from Implication 4) in Venter but I could see that being tested and want to make sure Iím thinking about it correctly. Would that look the same as the graph of residuals against losses, but the x axis would be AY? So basically, we would basically be reordering the residuals from sorting by loss size to sorting by AY.
yea I'd imagine. you could probably have a calculation question where you get residuals manually and then they test if you recognise that implication
Old 03-14-2020, 05:02 PM
CAS

Just found out that the source material of Brehm is not available online. Is CF/CR seminar possibly sufficient for that section?
Old 03-14-2020, 07:27 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by niiiiiicky View Post
Just found out that the source material of Brehm is not available online. Is CF/CR seminar possibly sufficient for that section?
not really, it's just jot note form and lacks a lot of the context you get from reading the source
Old 03-15-2020, 09:46 AM
CAS

Quick question... Is there a way to store/copy output from 1/2-Var Stats on a TI-30XS Multiview? I always find myself writing down the output, just to type it into my calculator again. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:10 AM
CAS

Selecting a variable and hitting enter inserts it into whatever equation you are currently working on.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBNYC View Post
Selecting a variable and hitting enter inserts it into whatever equation you are currently working on.
What about to get it to the home screen?
Old 03-15-2020, 02:07 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMF10 View Post
Quick question... Is there a way to store/copy output from 1/2-Var Stats on a TI-30XS Multiview? I always find myself writing down the output, just to type it into my calculator again. Thanks.
You can clear the formula and then use a new column.