Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-15-2017, 09:11 AM
A.O.A.W.
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triweasel View Post
also finished the last 2 episodes tonight. too bad about Bob, but he could have kept on running after he came through the door, instead of standing there like demo-dogfood. plus it's his fault Will sucked in that smoke monster anyway, telling him to confront it instead of running away like a sane person.

anyway, last 2 eps were pretty rad. looking forward to next season.
I'm having trouble finding a screen-shot, but I wonder if the Duffer Brothers were paying homage to a common Steven Spielberg technique.

In "Jurassic Park," there's a scene near the end where ... it was either the kids or the mom ... someone had just escaped one wave of dinosaurs, and they were so happy and felt safe. The camera zooms in on their big smile. And then ... BAM! The next dinosaur comes crashing in.

Also, I loved Bob's character. He played the perfect loser who was really a hero inside (kind of). If I were in the story, that would be me!
Old 11-15-2017, 09:25 AM
A.O.A.W.
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
Which is a shame, not just for online but real life. It's unlikely to be in the same point of a series and even if you both finish, discussing a 12-hour movie is a bit daunting and you just end up talking about the end.

I wish netflix would release in the 3-episode bursts. That way you get some bingeing and still get to have the water cooler effect.
I totally agree. I just checked ...

In this thread since you've posted this, there have been 97 posts.

During this same time period, the TWD thread has had 232 posts, and it's guaranteed to have many more posts over the next several months, while this thread slowly dies out until next year.

Right now, I think Stranger Things is a much better show, but TWD benefits greatly from people talking it up in between episodes. While Stranger Things and other Netflix binge series don't get to benefit from this.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:41 AM
SOA

When I was done with ST S2, I feel like the question we are suppose to ask is what is the difference between the obvious evil of the shadow monster, and the evil that dwells within the hearts of people.

In the show, both evils could spread and infect other people: the shadow monster could infect Will, just as mad Max's dad's evil spreaded to his Max's bro. Which is worse, or are they the same? Can either of them be truly defeated? Which is the stranger thing?
Old 11-15-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-o-rama View Post
I'm having trouble finding a screen-shot, but I wonder if the Duffer Brothers were paying homage to a common Steven Spielberg technique.

In "Jurassic Park," there's a scene near the end where ... it was either the kids or the mom ... someone had just escaped one wave of dinosaurs, and they were so happy and felt safe. The camera zooms in on their big smile. And then ... BAM! The next dinosaur comes crashing in.

Also, I loved Bob's character. He played the perfect loser who was really a hero inside (kind of). If I were in the story, that would be me!
yeah totally agree with this. lots of callbacks to horror movie tropes. like when the chief goes into the tunnel without any backup, or at least calling somebody first to tell them what he is going to do. it's like in Friday the 13th or whatever when someone goes into the spooky cabin you're always "don't go in there!" but of course they do anyway.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:30 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
We're through Ep7 and I still don't enjoy it as much as S1.

I am wondering why they felt the need to inject a racist assho1e older brother into the plot. Not enough evil in this show already? Needed someone to take a bullet and die a satisfying (to the audience) death because the monster gonna live? Needed someone to have some redemption? Redemption and martyrdom (this is my guess)? Setting him up to be the bad guy next season?
Well, that was disappointing. This guy had no redeeming value and no purpose for being in the show at all except to add drama. I agree with Viv's sentiment earlier. No one is just 100% bad all the time the way that kid was portrayed to be.

IIRC Steve was kind of a bad guy in season 1 until it turned out he wasn't.

I just don't get why Billy was part of the show at all. It would have been the exact same show without him in it. Kind of like raiders of the lost ark without Dr Jones.

Do we still have to spoil? No one should be reading this thread if they aren't done and don't want to be spoiled right? Spoliers below...

The death of Rudy was so predictable and cliche I thought they might actually do the unexpected and spare him. Even thought it was kind of his fault they were in that predicament in the first place it wasn't his fault...a dream is a dream after all. How would he know it's real?

D'art being the demo dog in the tunnel at the end and being pacified with a three musketeers bar was kinda dumb. Though i did like the old school wrapper.

I didn't notice the KFC reference but my recollection is that it started to be called KFC in the late 80s.

I see the purpose of ep7 wrt Jane's development but that band of freaks 008 was leading and their purpose of killing bad people who had hut 008 was just a little too far fetched for me.

Jane running away all oh noes when she sees Mikey with Max and again when she overhears a part of a conversation with her aunt on the phone bothered me a little.

I'm not sure why they had to have Dustin crying at the dance and get a pity dance from whats-her-name. That made me sad. Also not sure why he was so overconfident just because he had farrah faucet hair spray (was that even real cuz if so that's awesome).

All they had to do was put will in a hot room? I mean, OK, whatever, I'll deal.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 11-15-2017, 02:36 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Hey, we have this lab...should we study this crazy wormhole to another dimension (or maybe it's just an underground tunnel)...OR should we steal babies and give them pyschic abilities? Why not both?

What i can't figure out is what came first - the upside down world, or the special kids? Did one cause/create/discover the other? Was this already answered?
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 11-15-2017, 02:37 PM
SOA

When your hair is damp NOT WET but damp.
I was going to fire Comey knowing, there was no good time to do it. And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story
Old 11-15-2017, 02:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Hey, we have this lab...should we study this crazy wormhole to another dimension (or maybe it's just an underground tunnel)...OR should we steal babies and give them pyschic abilities? Why not both?

What i can't figure out is what came first - the upside down world, or the special kids? Did one cause/create/discover the other? Was this already answered?
Jane11 said she opened the gate so probably the kids came first. Also apparently her mom has the same thing.

you hurt mama
I was going to fire Comey knowing, there was no good time to do it. And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story
Old 11-15-2017, 02:38 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
I just don't get why Billy was part of the show at all. It would have been the exact same show without him in it.
Unlike Season 1, Season 2 was written with other Seasons in mind. Billy story is just setup.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:40 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Upside World predated Jane / 11.
Jane / 11 discovered the Upside World and opened a hole in it. (Season 1)