Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > Bentley College
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.


Bentley College Lucy Kimball - Associate Professor
http://www.bentley.edu/

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #91  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:28 PM
jdb004's Avatar
jdb004 jdb004 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Yeah, the whole excel monkey portion of an actuarial gig is really soul-sucking.
The confusion of the folks posting on this thread regarding what constitutes an Actuarial role and what it means to be appropriately staffed shouldn't marginalize the value that good Actuaries bring to a company.

If ANY actuarial candidate or credentialed Actuary repeatedly engages in 'soul sucking Excel monkey work', without seeking to remedy the situation, they are NOT fit to be in said role. End of conversation.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:31 PM
jas66Kent jas66Kent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Favorite beer: Corona :)
Posts: 22,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb004 View Post
The confusion of the folks posting on this thread regarding what constitutes an Actuarial role and what it means to be appropriately staffed shouldn't marginalize the value that good Actuaries bring to a company.

If ANY actuarial candidate or credentialed Actuary repeatedly engages in 'soul sucking Excel monkey work', without seeking to remedy the situation, they are NOT fit to be in said role. End of conversation.
In an ideal world you would correct. In actual reality.....not so much.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb004 View Post
What's in a rum and coke? anyone?
Pepsi?
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 47,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Pepsi?
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:08 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
dang, I'd love to make 60k copy/pasting excel workbooks :/
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:09 PM
venisonKurry venisonKurry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb004 View Post
If ANY actuarial candidate or credentialed Actuary repeatedly engages in 'soul sucking Excel monkey work', without seeking to remedy the situation, they are NOT fit to be in said role. End of conversation.
who will do the work done? it's gotta get done
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venisonKurry View Post
who will do the work done? it's gotta get done
Ideally a good donkey will streamline the donkey work so it can be mostly automated, thereby killing his own job security.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Sine Language's Avatar
Sine Language Sine Language is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: :usa:
Studying for the kids
Favorite beer: Whiskey, Irish
Posts: 3,597
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Ideally a good donkey will streamline the donkey work so it can be mostly automated, thereby killing his own job security.
Step 1: Be given large data sets and told to do stuff with them
Step 2: Learn VBA and write macros to do everything for you
Step 3: Study all day every day
Step 4: Profit?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I am a special flower
Disclaimer: This post is likely sarcastic in nature and in no way represents Sine Language's actual opinion and sentiment
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 09-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 47,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Language View Post
Step 1: Be given large data sets and told to do stuff with them
Step 2: Learn VBA and write macros to do everything for you
Step 3: Study all day every day
Step 4: Profit?
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 09-03-2014, 05:22 PM
venisonKurry venisonKurry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Language View Post
Step 1: Be given large data sets and told to do stuff with them
Step 2: Learn VBA and write macros to do everything for you
Step 3: Study all day every day
Step 4: Profit?
(for the subset of poor souls who work in professional services firms)

Step 4: Billable hours go to hell
Step 5: Lose job
Step 6: Rant on AO
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.24065 seconds with 9 queries