Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > Bentley College
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.


Bentley College Lucy Kimball - Associate Professor
http://www.bentley.edu/

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #81  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 48,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb004 View Post
I AM denying that. You do NOT know what you are talking about.

As a point of comparison, what do you have to do to make 83k/yr (take home 1k/wk) as an Actuary? Well, half of you seem to be telling me 7.5 years of schooling later (3.5 entry level to ASA/ACAS, and 4 years undergraduate), that should be what we accept. I was killing it at 3.5 years.

What's in a rum and coke? anyone?
What, pressing CTRL+C and CTRL+V is way easier than mixing drinks. Not to mention you don't even have to be standing to do it. I should be asking you, what are YOU talking about?
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:02 PM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
So you went on glassdoor, right? Go there and then come back before posting.
Senior Software Engineer salary range on glassdoor is $114K to $308K. Not everyone is at or above the midpoint of that range.

The Manager and Director salary ranges are fairly similar to that as well.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:10 PM
nonlnear nonlnear is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: May 2010
Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA
Posts: 30,074
Default

CS, all this glassdoor talk is beside the point. If you know your friend's number is >= $200k (ish) just say so.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:11 PM
venisonKurry venisonKurry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
dang, I'd love to make 60k copy/pasting excel workbooks :/
yeah, you do that full time for a year (including 60~80hrs/wk Feb-Apr) then tell us how much you love it
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 PM
jdb004's Avatar
jdb004 jdb004 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
dang, I'd love to make 60k copy/pasting excel workbooks :/
Let's set a couple things straight here:
1. An Actuary is credentialed. That is what we were discussing.
2. If your prospective Actuaries are copy/pasting without understanding, there's either:
a) A problem with them that will be resolved by failing numerous exams,...etc.
b) A problem with whatever structure you have at your company
c) A problem with you
3. In order to make this 60k a year, they typically pass two exams, and have an undergraduate degree in a non-trivial subject. This salary is comparable to computer science, and finance, entry levels and is not significant.
4. An actuary, by education, and definition, is a key person in an insurance company. They should possess the skill sets to build and interpret models as well as make key business decisions. If you need someone to copy paste anything, you either should require your EL develop VBA skills--and subsequently eliminate this need, or hire a clerical level of staff.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:15 PM
jas66Kent jas66Kent is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London
Favorite beer: Corona :)
Posts: 22,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venisonKurry View Post
yeah, you do that full time for a year (including 60~80hrs/wk Feb-Apr) then tell us how much you love it
Yeah, the whole excel monkey portion of an actuarial gig is really soul-sucking.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Ann Veal Ann Veal is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb004 View Post
why do you let them get away with this then? my ELs run circles around VPs, get it right.
What kind of ELs are you hiring?

Or I guess the better question is, how incompetent are the VPs?
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:16 PM
nonlnear nonlnear is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: May 2010
Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA
Posts: 30,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Yeah, the whole excel monkey portion of an actuarial gig is really soul-sucking.
Not compared to any hard job.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 48,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb004 View Post
Let's set a couple things straight here:
1. An Actuary is credentialed. That is what we were discussing.
2. If your prospective Actuaries are copy/pasting without understanding, there's either:
a) A problem with them that will be resolved by failing numerous exams,...etc.
b) A problem with whatever structure you have at your company
c) A problem with you
3. In order to make this 60k a year, they typically pass two exams, and have an undergraduate degree in a non-trivial subject. This salary is comparable to computer science, and finance, entry levels and is not significant.
4. An actuary, by education, and definition, is a key person in an insurance company. They should possess the skill sets to build and interpret models as well as make key business decisions. If you need someone to copy paste anything, you either should require your EL develop VBA skills--and subsequently eliminate this need, or hire a clerical level of staff.
Hey man, just like how we shouldn't be hating on all those bartenders making bank we should be hating on CTRL+C and CTRL-V folk making 85k a year amirite.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 48,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
Not compared to any hard job.
btw what about that question I asked you about the COL adjustments

__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.32306 seconds with 9 queries