Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-08-2018, 04:53 PM
SOA

College: Penn State Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post
I've talked to a lot of people about this, including the hiring managers and HR at my company. Work experience and exam progress are both important. Being an actuary is more than just about crunching numbers. If someone has too many exams but not a lot of experience, they are considered 'unbalanced' based on how many actuarial student programs are structured. Consider two entry level candidates. One has 3 exams while the other has 5. Both have no actuarial work experience. Both will have to learn the work from scratch. The employer can save money by hiring the candidate with fewer exams, since compensation is based on exam progress.
Not necessarily. Study hours for 2 exams (on average 4 sittings) can add up quick, plus materials for those extra exams an exam registration.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:07 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for PA
College: Stevenson University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyorky2428 View Post
Not necessarily. Study hours for 2 exams (on average 4 sittings) can add up quick, plus materials for those extra exams an exam registration.
The person with 5 exams will also have to take study time and order study materials etc. for the FSA exams which are actually more expensive. So that person will cost the company more, while doing the same work that someone with fewer exams will be expected to do. My point is that these exams don't always teach us what we do in an actuarial job.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:45 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for PA

Asking those who have started working on the modules. Do they refer to the SRM textbooks? I am leaning toward just using the Actex or ASM manual for SRM instead of the two books, but just wondering if I'd need them for the modules or not.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Asking those who have started working on the modules. Do they refer to the SRM textbooks? I am leaning toward just using the Actex or ASM manual for SRM instead of the two books, but just wondering if I'd need them for the modules or not.
Haven't quite gotten there yet, but I know the descriptions for modules 6-8 explicitly mention topics from SRM, and so far the modules haven't shied away from saying 'Read Chapter xx from this Textbook', so I wouldn't be too surprised (as long as the textbook is on the PA Exam syllabus. Is SRM textbook on there?)
Old 08-13-2018, 01:45 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
Haven't quite gotten there yet, but I know the descriptions for modules 6-8 explicitly mention topics from SRM, and so far the modules haven't shied away from saying 'Read Chapter xx from this Textbook', so I wouldn't be too surprised (as long as the textbook is on the PA Exam syllabus. Is SRM textbook on there?)
I think I should get the textbooks and the manual. My work will pay for both. Here is what the PA syllabus says:

"There are four texts required for the course. Two of them are the texts for the Statistics for Risk Modeling Exam. These are listed below this paragraph. It is assumed that candidates are familiar with all this material. Explicit reference to parts of these texts may be made from time to time within the modules. However, that does not imply the other sections are unimportant."
Old 08-13-2018, 02:38 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
I took a break from Module 1 to read R for Everyone. Then I took a break from that book to start going through the Actex SRM manual. I figure they should all accompany each other and it'll be nice to have a background in general linear models before learning how to program it with R.

The SRM manual is very well-written and understandable. I am mostly just reading and taking high-level notes. For exercises I basically skim through them, just ensuring I understand the basics. It's a fantastic feeling knowing you don't have to know all the ins and outs and can later ask R to do this for you.

My current opinion (subject to change) is that the difference between successful and unsuccessful exam-takers is being able to explain your choice in model and the final parameters.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:49 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Modules 6-9 are out
Old 08-14-2018, 12:48 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoaminoneofyourbusiness View Post
Modules 6-9 are out
Out of curiosity, I jumped to Module 9 to browse through and see what is ahead. Module 9 is on Communication, representing 30-40% of the rubric. Below is an Executive Summary of the 25 slides:

(1) Avoid the use of unnecessarily lengthy words such as sesquipedalian, corpulence, and flatulence; use their shorter counterparts.

(2) Use. Sentences. Like. These.

(3) [Space reserved for future comments.]
Old 08-14-2018, 02:01 PM
SOA

Studying for PA, FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARodOmaha View Post
Out of curiosity, I jumped to Module 9 to browse through and see what is ahead. Module 9 is on Communication, representing 30-40% of the rubric. Below is an Executive Summary of the 25 slides:

(1) Avoid the use of unnecessarily lengthy words such as sesquipedalian, corpulence, and flatulence; use their shorter counterparts.

(2) Use. Sentences. Like. These.

(3) [Space reserved for future comments.]
Lol.

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC

Last edited by NchooseK; 10-05-2018 at 07:36 AM..
Old 08-14-2018, 11:23 PM
SOA

Default Where can I register for PA

It says the registration link will be inside the modules. Do I need to go through all pages to find the link?