Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-12-2020, 09:14 PM
SOA

Sorry, WG, I don't have any knowledge on whole home audio. Although my wife would tell you that I play my music so loud, you can hear and feel it anywhere in the house.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:20 PM
SOA

One of my favorite things with my sound system is to go back and listen to songs from my childhood that sounded like a convoluted mess on the crappy radios we had back then, and to now hear them as they were originally intended.

Latest example is Neil Diamond's "America." Don't get me wrong, I always liked the song. But there is so much going on instrumentally, a cheap radio can't do it justice. I'm not saying one needs an audiophile system to hear it right. Heck, a decent pair of headphones would do fine. But I didn't even have decent headphones until college, and at that time, I was limited to those songs I bought on CD, or could hear on the radio. In college, I wasn't going back and listening to Neil Diamond. (But I sure listened to Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis and some other 70s groups.)
Old 05-13-2020, 12:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
One of my favorite things with my sound system is to go back and listen to songs from my childhood that sounded like a convoluted mess on the crappy radios we had back then, and to now hear them as they were originally intended.

Latest example is Neil Diamond's "America." Don't get me wrong, I always liked the song. But there is so much going on instrumentally, a cheap radio can't do it justice. I'm not saying one needs an audiophile system to hear it right. Heck, a decent pair of headphones would do fine. But I didn't even have decent headphones until college, and at that time, I was limited to those songs I bought on CD, or could hear on the radio. In college, I wasn't going back and listening to Neil Diamond. (But I sure listened to Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis and some other 70s groups.)
So many songs are like that when you move to a nice system!
Old 05-23-2020, 01:15 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsGolden View Post
Any of you deal much with whole home audio, in particular at least needing parts to be wireless?

My current setup
-Bedroom: Sonos Playbar
-Upstairs Living Room: Roku->TV->Emotiva DAC->Sonos Connect:Amp->JTR Speakers and Sub
-Downstairs Living Room: Various Sources->Pioneer Receiver->Emotiva Amp for L/R->JTR Speakers and Seaton Sub. I used to have a Sonos Connect here, but it quit working so haven't been able to run w/ the same source since then.

I'm looking to add to my setup to have a couple outdoor speakers, as well as getting it so all systems can play coherently w/ the same source. These would either be wired from the upstairs living room, or from a separate location. In addition, with the Sonos Connect:Amp being a legacy product, I'm hesitant w/ continuing on with that if going the Sonos route.

Possibilities:
-Sonos: if I do this, I'd likely be looking at 2 Amps and a Port. This seems like the most straight forward route, but given that kind of cost has me wondering about other options and areas that would upgrade other pieces of the system.
-Heos: If I go this route, I'd be looking at a Denon receiver for upstairs, and one of AV7705/AV8805 for downstairs (w/ a D-Sonic amp). This would obviously be more $ than Sonos, but I've been looking at upgrading the downstairs for a while now. It would not allow for full home integration with the bedroom unless I added a new Sonos product (like a One) to gain Airplay 2 functionality.
-DTS Play-Fi: Pretty much similar to the HEOS route, but more open on products that I could go with since they license it out to numerous companies. I'd likely be looking at Anthem.

No matter which route I go, the Emotiva DAC would come out of this system, and go back to my computer setup. Restrictions for Heos/Play-Fi is the upstairs receiver would need built-in amplification for zone 2 (typically through assignable surround rears).

Do any of you have experience with Heos/Play-Fi? The piece I'm wondering about most is for the upstairs/outside system and how that functions. Does the main zone and zone 2 show up as different within the Heos/Play-Fi apps?
Decided on the Sonos route for now, but only going with one Amp. Going to see how Sonos/Airplay2 integration functions and then might adjust further. If I like how it functions enough for whole home integrated audio, this may cover it. Will know more in a week or two after the Amp gets here.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:43 AM
SOA

Quote:
Decided on the Sonos route for now, but only going with one Amp. Going to see how Sonos/Airplay2 integration functions and then might adjust further. If I like how it functions enough for whole home integrated audio, this may cover it. Will know more in a week or two after the Amp gets here.
Got the Sonos Amp on Friday. Nice upgrade over the Connect:Amp. The implementation of HDMI-CEC and the IR sensor are much needed improvements so I don't have to use the app for volume control. The Connect:Amp has a more laid back sound signature, while the Amp sounds more neutral. With low quality audio, the Amp clearly displays it as such.

Will be testing more with Airplay and the whole home audio this week.

I got the Emotiva XDA-1 and UPA-200 back in my computer setup. Significantly cleaner sound than my old Pioneer receiver. I'm going to be very happy with this setup during WFH. While I love the sound quality, the volume control on the XDA-1 is one of the worst I've used all time. It has linear steps. I forgot how bad it was as I haven't used it in this manner for quite some time.

The Pioneer receiver went out to the garage with the JBL Stadium. While that is gear that I'm ultimately not that impressed with anymore, it does well for a garage system.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Spirits in the Material World by The Police is another great example of this, where the sound is massively elevated by listening through a much better system than the crappy radios I had growing up.

Oh, and if you're a fan at all of John Cougar Mellencamp, you should re-listen to his music from late 80s through early 90s. Some of the best mastering of rock music from that time period, IMO.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Got the Sonos Amp on Friday. Nice upgrade over the Connect:Amp. The implementation of HDMI-CEC and the IR sensor are much needed improvements so I don't have to use the app for volume control. The Connect:Amp has a more laid back sound signature, while the Amp sounds more neutral. With low quality audio, the Amp clearly displays it as such.

Will be testing more with Airplay and the whole home audio this week.

I got the Emotiva XDA-1 and UPA-200 back in my computer setup. Significantly cleaner sound than my old Pioneer receiver. I'm going to be very happy with this setup during WFH. While I love the sound quality, the volume control on the XDA-1 is one of the worst I've used all time. It has linear steps. I forgot how bad it was as I haven't used it in this manner for quite some time.

The Pioneer receiver went out to the garage with the JBL Stadium. While that is gear that I'm ultimately not that impressed with anymore, it does well for a garage system.
Nice! Glad you're happy with the Sonos system. A buddy has one and loves it.

That is one of the nice benefits of upgrading: there can be a cascading effects to other sound systems in the home. I'm hoping to replace my rear surrounds in my Atmos setup, maybe around Christmas. That would allow me to move the JBL 530 bookshelf speakers to my computer setup. That could be fun, especially if I put a reasonably priced sub in there. There is a JBL sub on sale right now, actually. Tempting...
Old 06-02-2020, 11:51 AM
SOA

Haven't come into this thread much because I know nothing about it, but I've decided my home office echoes way too much and want to do something about it. I use the room for calls all the time and do some recording outside of work in the room sometimes too, so I'm leaning towards getting some acoustic foam, bass traps, stuff like that. Tile floor, bare walls / ceiling, about 10x10x9 dimensions. Anyone have recommendations on steps to take in terms of brands for the foam or other solutions?
Old 06-02-2020, 03:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
Haven't come into this thread much because I know nothing about it, but I've decided my home office echoes way too much and want to do something about it. I use the room for calls all the time and do some recording outside of work in the room sometimes too, so I'm leaning towards getting some acoustic foam, bass traps, stuff like that. Tile floor, bare walls / ceiling, about 10x10x9 dimensions. Anyone have recommendations on steps to take in terms of brands for the foam or other solutions?
I can't say I've ever gone too far into this direction, but GIK is always one that I've heard good things about when it comes to acoustic panels. Others could definitely give better advice in this area than me.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:40 PM
SOA

I bought some bass traps from GIK. They're reasonably attractive and not terribly expensive compared to competitors. If you reach out to them, you'll get personal advice for your situation. You could get acoustic panels that look like artwork, so that you get a dual purpose from them.