Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 07-10-2019, 04:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stoppable View Post
Good luck, everyone!

Good luck sleeping tonight, I mean.
When do results come out?
Old 07-10-2019, 04:29 PM
SOA

College: University of Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Annoyed View Post
When do results come out?
Friday morning at 10 am ET
ERM Module
APC
Old 07-10-2019, 04:51 PM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: The Ohio State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
STAM is the worst or LTAM is the worst? Good luck on both.
Nah LTAM was the woooorst. This STAM stuff is way nicer, so if that's up next for anyone else it's a welcome change. (in my opinion at least)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:16 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Anyone else worried about how many people on the AO were saying Spring 2019 LTAM was easy? Was it really an easier than average exam or were people were more well- prepared than when people took the Fall 2018 LTAM exam? I don't think the SOA is going to make a huge deviation from the average pass mark.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 PM
SOA

Studying for PA & Modules
College: A prestigious college
Favorite beer: Beer is pee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasplash View Post
Anyone else worried about how many people on the AO were saying Spring 2019 LTAM was easy? Was it really an easier than average exam or were people were more well- prepared than when people took the Fall 2018 LTAM exam? I don't think the SOA is going to make a huge deviation from the average pass mark.
Many people I know expressed similar sentiments about last sitting's difficulty.

As all the exams are curved, something has to give. Either the passmark increases or the written answers are graded more harshly (IE. More points taken off for small mistakes).

Poster permabanned for trolling in exam areas. First, and last, permaban for this id. Not the first for this poster.

Last edited by Moderator1; 07-12-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Old 07-10-2019, 06:41 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Came across this paragraph in: https://www.soa.org/education/genera...ading-process/

"Prior to grading a preliminary pass mark is set. Papers that score well above this mark receive no further grading and have passed the exam. Papers that score well below this mark also receive no further grading but have failed. The remaining, typically one-third to one-half of the papers, will be re-graded independently by a different grader. If there is a discrepancy in the scores, the graders have a face-to-face discussion to resolve any differences. Once this step is completed the scores are considered final and all that remains is the setting of the pass mark."

I would suspect the SOA wouldn't set forth a preliminary pass mark that is so far off from the average pass mark. I think people say the test was easier because the WA was easier and had no prove or derive questions. The MC section was slightly harder than the Fall's however.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:52 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasplash View Post
Came across this paragraph in: https://www.soa.org/education/genera...ading-process/
I think people say the test was easier because the WA was easier and had no prove or derive questions. The MC section was slightly harder than the Fall's however.
I agree that the WA was easier, but personally I felt that the MC this time was easier than Fall. Fall had like 2 Joint Life Annuities and a few problems that I thought took too long to calculate. Note that the Fall sitting cutoff was only 10/20. I'm almost certain this sitting will be back to 12/20.

I scored 14/20 in the Fall Sitting while spending around 1.5 Hours on it. I may have been better prepared for the Spring sitting, but I thought the MC was easier this time around (got 19/20).
ASA (September 2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:53 PM
SOA

Studying for PA & Modules
College: A prestigious college
Favorite beer: Beer is pee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAce View Post
I agree that the WA was easier, but personally I felt that the MC this time was easier than Fall. Fall had like 2 Joint Life Annuities and a few problems that I thought took too long to calculate. Note that the Fall sitting cutoff was only 10/20. I'm almost certain this sitting will be back to 12/20.

I scored 14/20 in the Fall Sitting while spending around 1.5 Hours on it. I may have been better prepared for the Spring sitting, but I thought the MC was easier this time around (got 19/20).
5 of my coworkers all said that last sitting's MC was much easier than fall's, too.

Poster permabanned for trolling in exam areas. First, and last, permaban for this id. Not the first for this poster.

Last edited by Moderator1; 07-12-2019 at 01:29 PM..
Old 07-10-2019, 07:18 PM
SOA

College: Bentley University (Class of 2019ish)

This debate again...

"I think you should refrain from quoting yourself. It sounds pompous." - SweepingRocks
Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingRocks View Post
This debate again...
If this was previously discussed in the past posts, then I wouldn't have known since I've been off this thread for a while. I was studying for PA in June as well. But regardless, hopefully everyone here gets good news on Friday.
ASA (September 2019)

Last edited by DarkAce; 07-10-2019 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: grammar/typo