Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 03-26-2019, 09:28 AM
SOA

Studying for everything

For the december sitting, I started mid november and I had plenty of time left (with a full time job on the side). There is not enough material to keep you busy more than 1 month
Old 03-26-2019, 09:42 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post
I checked mine - it does include stringi package (as well as caret). Did you save all the rmd files in checkp5 folder? When you open RStudio, does the top right corner show the current project is checkp5?
Yes, all my .RMD files are in the "checkp5" folder. And whenever I re-open my Rstudio instance, I make sure that I switch the project to the "checkp5.Rproj" file that was provided.

Yours is working fine? Are you very familiar with RStudio / know of any settings that could be throwing my instance off?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:13 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarchArvor View Post
For the december sitting, I started mid november and I had plenty of time left (with a full time job on the side). There is not enough material to keep you busy more than 1 month
Agreed, if it will always be as easy as December's sitting then not much prep time is required. Unfortunately my style is to prepare for the worst! I'm probably going to studying for an hour or two a day until June.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarchArvor View Post

I'm assuming you had prior programming/R knowledge, correct?
Old 03-28-2019, 07:35 AM
SOA

Studying for Specialty
College: Eastern Kentucky University Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceBrah View Post
Agreed, if it will always be as easy as December's sitting then not much prep time is required. Unfortunately my style is to prepare for the worst! I'm probably going to studying for an hour or two a day until June.
I'm with ya man. A failure means waiting 6 more months for my ASA. I want to leave no room for a <6
Old 03-28-2019, 09:49 AM
SOA

Studying for DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin Lucky In Kentucky View Post
I'm with ya man. A failure means waiting 6 more months for my ASA. I want to leave no room for a <6
Old 03-28-2019, 12:53 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyBusiness7 View Post
Yes, all my .RMD files are in the "checkp5" folder. And whenever I re-open my Rstudio instance, I make sure that I switch the project to the "checkp5.Rproj" file that was provided.

Yours is working fine? Are you very familiar with RStudio / know of any settings that could be throwing my instance off?
No I'm not an expert. The last thing I could think of is that maybe you didn't follow the instruction in module 1 to install the frozen version correctly.

Last edited by avocado; 04-02-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Old 03-29-2019, 08:18 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
Rereading 7 thoroughly.

Frankly, I'm all over the place with review and notetaking between chapters 6-8. I pay careful attention to and occupy myself with the two sample exams and the one real exam.

I would save a sample exam as a self-test if I had a better idea and more examples exam content.

Sample Exam 1) No R code. SOA tells us this sample exam is way too large and the model solution went way above and beyond. I stay tuned.

Sample Exam 2) 9 predictor variables. Some helpful R code and specific guidelines/hints. One of the models (GLM?) had no guidelines or R code.

Actual Exam) Much more structured, R code pretty complete, way too many predictors again like Sample Exam 1. Commentary on grading/expectations very demanding. Explain this, explain that. Model solution far more thorough than the slop from sample model solutions. Evidently, it is difficult to run some large processes on the Prometric potatoes. One said he was clueless but got a 10; another account claimed astonishment at a 1. Seems slightly more than half passed.

For someone well versed in statistics, R/coding and always confident writing, this is a a lot of work. Not impossible--nor terribly difficult--just a lot of volume. Modules are a breeze until 6-7.

Currently crafting a monster outline/flowchart covering all models and potential data. I'm good at memorization, so when I have to physically write notes, there is a lot to know.

GL, all!
Hi @NchooseK, any chance of you sharing your notes/outline/flowchart with us?
Old 03-29-2019, 09:46 AM
SOA Non-Actuary

College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkho View Post
Hi @NchooseK, any chance of you sharing your notes/outline/flowchart with us?
It is not finished and not that close.

My current progress exists in various written and electronic formats. I plan to Tex the project into a master PDF file. Time permitting.

I have to research many items that are unclear from the modules. Being thorough to a fault.

If I finish and believe it could help others, I will offer it at least via PM.

I gained recent employment, slowing me down on this.

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 03-29-2019, 09:51 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
It is not finished and not that close.

My current progress exists in various written and electronic formats. I plan to Tex the project into a master PDF file. Time permitting.

I have to research many items that are unclear from the modules. Being thorough to a fault.

If I finish and believe it could help others, I will offer it at least via PM.

I gained recent employment, slowing me down on this.
Thank you! And congratulations on your recent employment!