Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 02-18-2020, 04:52 AM
SOA

College: University of Iowa
Default ACTEX Study Manual for Exam PA: Spring 2020 Edition

Exam PA Takers,

I am thrilled to announce that the core part of the Spring 2020 edition of the ACTEX Study Manual for Exam PA has been formally released. This manual synthesizes, streamlines, and augments the material in the PA e-learning modules in a coherent and easy-to-follow manner. With this manual, you will have in your possession a reliable learning resource that hosts all of the useful materials in a single place and prepares you for Exam PA effectively and efficiently.

The December 2019 edition of the manual has been well-received and we are extremely excited to see that numerous users on this forum have found the manual critical to their exam preparation. Building on this success, we have fully revised the manual and introduced the following additions:
  • More than 15 conceptual examples based on recent SOA and CAS exams have been added. These examples, though not in the same format as PA exam tasks, are instrumental in illustrating a number of conceptual items which are tested on the exam.
  • Comments on the Dec 2019 PA exam will be included after the exam is publicly posted.
  • Two original, full-length practice exams in the same format as a typical PA exam project conclude this study manual, giving you a holistic review of the syllabus material.
  • A cheat sheet providing a helicopter view of the whole exam syllabus is available for download.
Please check out some sample pages to get some idea of what the manual is like.

Don't hesitate to reach out to me for more information about the ACTEX manual. Feel free to drop a message here if you have any technical questions about specific pages of the manual and want me to clarify. I will be checking this forum regularly.

Happy studying!

Last edited by ambroselo; 06-10-2020 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: Link to cheat sheet provided
Old 03-02-2020, 02:27 AM
SOA

Default Grade

As a study manual author, I took Exam PA, which is a relatively new exam, myself in December 2019 to experience first-hand what the real exam was like (despite having been an FSA since 2013 and technically free from exams thereafter). I am extremely proud to say that I secured Grade 10...with the help of my own manual!

If you use the ACTEX manual to study for Exam PA, you can rest assured that it is written by someone who truly understands the exam topics and knows how to prepare for the exam (effectively and efficiently) and write your report in a way that appeals to PA exam graders.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the ACTEX PA manual.

Last edited by ambroselo; 06-03-2020 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Inserted a link to my grade slip
Old 03-02-2020, 12:16 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Hi Ambrose, I purchased the manual last September with 12 month access. I'm planning to take this exam again in June this year. Will this version include all your updates? Thanks!
Old 03-02-2020, 12:59 PM
SOA

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambroselo View Post
As a study manual author, I took Exam PA, which is a relatively new exam, myself in December 2019 to experience first-hand what the real exam was like (despite having been an FSA since 2013 and technically free from exams thereafter). I am extremely proud to say that I secured Grade 10...with the help of my own manual!

If you use the ACTEX manual to study for Exam PA, you can rest assured that it is written by someone who truly understands the exam topics and knows how to prepare for the exam (effectively and efficiently) and write your report in a way that appeals to PA exam graders.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the ACTEX PA manual.
I thought about this happening ... technically, your grade could alter the "curve" ever so slightly (if that's how it's done - I admit ignorance on the actual grading system).

Congrats, though!

Last edited by Yossarian; 03-02-2020 at 01:44 PM..
Old 03-02-2020, 07:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
I thought about this happening ... technically, your grade could alter the "curve" ever so slightly (if that's how it's done - I admit ignorance on the actual grading system).

Congrats, though!
Thank you so much! I heard that there might be close to 2,000 candidates taking the exam in December, so my presence should not have affected the "curve" (if any) materially.

The Dec 2019 PA exam was a tough one. I had enough but just enough time to finish all the tasks and do some light proofreading. In hindsight, there were quite a few places where I could have augmented and refined my responses. I look forward to seeing the exam paper, which I expect to be released shortly.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:29 PM
SOA

Do you agree that 12/13 exam is more difficult than 12/12 exam?
Old 03-02-2020, 07:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1556 View Post
Hi Ambrose, I purchased the manual last September with 12 month access. I'm planning to take this exam again in June this year. Will this version include all your updates? Thanks!
Thanks for your question. You should be entitled to Pass Guarantee, which will give you access to the latest edition of the manual (with all the updates). To make use of Pass Guarantee, please contact the bookstore you purchased the manual from.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
Do you agree that 12/13 exam is more difficult than 12/12 exam?
I took the exam on Dec 12. As I said, the exam papers have not been formally released, but from what I have heard, the two exams have the same structure and test similar items (random forests and stepwise selection in one paper, and boosting and regularization in another paper).
Old 03-03-2020, 12:48 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambroselo View Post
I took the exam on Dec 12. As I said, the exam papers have not been formally released, but from what I have heard, the two exams have the same structure and test similar items (random forests and stepwise selection in one paper, and boosting and regularization in another paper).
I saw the bookstore combined your manual with a new video lesson called Predictive Partners. Is that necessary to have for passing guarantee, given that your manual already covers the whole syllabus and two practice exams are coming as well? Will you work with those authors of Predictive Partners?

In the past, I bought ASM manual and video lessons for another preliminary exam. But the video lessons were pretty much readings from the ASM manual with some extra comments. If this video lesson is covering same material as in your ACTEX manual, then I do not think it's essential.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:04 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
I saw the bookstore combined your manual with a new video lesson called Predictive Partners. Is that necessary to have for passing guarantee, given that your manual already covers the whole syllabus and two practice exams are coming as well? Will you work with those authors of Predictive Partners?

In the past, I bought ASM manual and video lessons for another preliminary exam. But the video lessons were pretty much readings from the ASM manual with some extra comments. If this video lesson is covering same material as in your ACTEX manual, then I do not think it's essential.

Thanks.
Every purchase of the ACTEX PA manual already comes with Pass Guarantee. The product you mentioned is separate from the ACTEX manual, but there is a bundle available for sale.