Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM
SOA

1M PS4 pre-orders worldwide.

Launching in 32 countries this year.

NA Release Date: November 15th!!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM
SOA

Can someone summarize PS4 and XBox One for me? I haven't followed super closely. I'll probably do what I did with 360 and PS3; wait until they've been out a couple years, get one that has some games I want to play, get the other 2-3 years later.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV View Post
Can someone summarize PS4 and XBox One for me? I haven't followed super closely. I'll probably do what I did with 360 and PS3; wait until they've been out a couple years, get one that has some games I want to play, get the other 2-3 years later.
Today: PS4 + $100 - Camera Device (Kinect / Eye) = XB1

Although it didn't start that way when both were initially announced. MS has backpedalled initially on many items they were planning on introducing.

There will be exclusives for each - so ultimately it'll come down to whose exclusives you prefer + where your friends play + if $100 difference is worth it.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
NA Release Date: November 15th!!!!
This gets me excited, though I don't know why.

Watchdogs and Destiny look nice, but they look like games I wouldn't buy unless I had a new console and needed something to play on it.

It would be an interesting thought experiment to try and figure out the average amount of time between the launch of the console and when it starts being supported by a steady stream of quality games. I suspect that it is about one year.

For this last generation in particular, I seem to remember GTA4, MGS4, Halo 3, Dead Space, and Mirror's Edge all coming out in 2008. Memorable games prior to that are probably few and far between.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Today: PS4 + $100 - Camera Device (Kinect / Eye) = XB1

Although it didn't start that way when both were initially announced. MS has backpedalled initially on many items they were planning on introducing.

There will be exclusives for each - so ultimately it'll come down to whose exclusives you prefer + where your friends play + if $100 difference is worth it.
I will add, that there is a difference in the paid subscription services. PS+ will continue to have the Instant Game Collection, but I believe they are adding things like party chat. Xbox Live has HBO Go and... um... a thing that lets you use NFL.com fantasy football easier?

Oh, also Xbone will let you plug your TV into it. They will both allow you to record your last X minutes of gameplay footage (even if you hadn't been recording, so it will grab it and you can rewind/post to youtube or something), but I believe PS4 is 15 minutes and Xbone is 5. Also, for that recording service you need Xbox Live Gold, but not PS+.

Oh, also pretty much every service available on Xbone requires Gold, while Sony is letting companies decide if they want to put their service behind the PS+ pay wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
For this last generation in particular, I seem to remember GTA4, MGS4, Halo 3, Dead Space, and Mirror's Edge all coming out in 2008. Memorable games prior to that are probably few and far between.
360 launched in 2005, PS3 in 2006.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

It's interesting that my friend who is a long-time Xbox-guy has a PS4 pre-ordered. Initially he did it because of the used-game stuff, but I haven't heard of him switching back after the MSFT back-pedaling. Probably the $100 difference and the more focus on games may keep him on PS side. Your friend may vary.

p.s. he was the type who went Xbox because all his friends were on it, and they play all those shooters / co-op stuff

Last edited by sloppyjoe; 08-21-2013 at 11:11 AM..
Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
It's interesting that my friend who is a long-time Xbox-guy has a PS4 pre-ordered. Initially he did it because of the used-game stuff, but I haven't heard of him switching back after the MSFT back-pedaling. Probably the $100 difference and the more focus on games may keep him on PS side. Your friend may vary.
I don't find that very suprising. A lot of goodwill died between MS and their gamers when they announced their plans, later fixing it doesn't fix every individual's opinion.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

Anyone heard of "Killer is Dead"? It's out next week on PS3, and apparently from the creator of No More Heroes. The screenshots look kinda cool.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Is HBO Go included in the Xbox Live Gold subscription or does it cost extra? Do you also need HBO Go through your cable plan -- similar to how it works through computers?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM

Nevermind - just saw you have to be an HBO subscriber as well...pass.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one