Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #14231  
Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,417
Default

1M PS4 pre-orders worldwide.

Launching in 32 countries this year.

NA Release Date: November 15th!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14232  
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM
SirVLCIV's Avatar
SirVLCIV SirVLCIV is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 46,902
Default

Can someone summarize PS4 and XBox One for me? I haven't followed super closely. I'll probably do what I did with 360 and PS3; wait until they've been out a couple years, get one that has some games I want to play, get the other 2-3 years later.
Reply With Quote
  #14233  
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV View Post
Can someone summarize PS4 and XBox One for me? I haven't followed super closely. I'll probably do what I did with 360 and PS3; wait until they've been out a couple years, get one that has some games I want to play, get the other 2-3 years later.
Today: PS4 + $100 - Camera Device (Kinect / Eye) = XB1

Although it didn't start that way when both were initially announced. MS has backpedalled initially on many items they were planning on introducing.

There will be exclusives for each - so ultimately it'll come down to whose exclusives you prefer + where your friends play + if $100 difference is worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #14234  
Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 PM
redprinceton redprinceton is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 24,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
NA Release Date: November 15th!!!!
This gets me excited, though I don't know why.

Watchdogs and Destiny look nice, but they look like games I wouldn't buy unless I had a new console and needed something to play on it.

It would be an interesting thought experiment to try and figure out the average amount of time between the launch of the console and when it starts being supported by a steady stream of quality games. I suspect that it is about one year.

For this last generation in particular, I seem to remember GTA4, MGS4, Halo 3, Dead Space, and Mirror's Edge all coming out in 2008. Memorable games prior to that are probably few and far between.
Reply With Quote
  #14235  
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Today: PS4 + $100 - Camera Device (Kinect / Eye) = XB1

Although it didn't start that way when both were initially announced. MS has backpedalled initially on many items they were planning on introducing.

There will be exclusives for each - so ultimately it'll come down to whose exclusives you prefer + where your friends play + if $100 difference is worth it.
I will add, that there is a difference in the paid subscription services. PS+ will continue to have the Instant Game Collection, but I believe they are adding things like party chat. Xbox Live has HBO Go and... um... a thing that lets you use NFL.com fantasy football easier?

Oh, also Xbone will let you plug your TV into it. They will both allow you to record your last X minutes of gameplay footage (even if you hadn't been recording, so it will grab it and you can rewind/post to youtube or something), but I believe PS4 is 15 minutes and Xbone is 5. Also, for that recording service you need Xbox Live Gold, but not PS+.

Oh, also pretty much every service available on Xbone requires Gold, while Sony is letting companies decide if they want to put their service behind the PS+ pay wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
For this last generation in particular, I seem to remember GTA4, MGS4, Halo 3, Dead Space, and Mirror's Edge all coming out in 2008. Memorable games prior to that are probably few and far between.
360 launched in 2005, PS3 in 2006.
Reply With Quote
  #14236  
Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 AM
sloppyjoe's Avatar
sloppyjoe sloppyjoe is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
Favorite beer: Batch Brewing
Posts: 2,346
Default

It's interesting that my friend who is a long-time Xbox-guy has a PS4 pre-ordered. Initially he did it because of the used-game stuff, but I haven't heard of him switching back after the MSFT back-pedaling. Probably the $100 difference and the more focus on games may keep him on PS side. Your friend may vary.

p.s. he was the type who went Xbox because all his friends were on it, and they play all those shooters / co-op stuff

Last edited by sloppyjoe; 08-21-2013 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #14237  
Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Aeitra's Avatar
Aeitra Aeitra is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Studying for Exam 5
Posts: 9,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
It's interesting that my friend who is a long-time Xbox-guy has a PS4 pre-ordered. Initially he did it because of the used-game stuff, but I haven't heard of him switching back after the MSFT back-pedaling. Probably the $100 difference and the more focus on games may keep him on PS side. Your friend may vary.
I don't find that very suprising. A lot of goodwill died between MS and their gamers when they announced their plans, later fixing it doesn't fix every individual's opinion.
__________________
P FM MLC MFE C 5 All VEE 6 Online Course 1, Online Course 2 COP, 7, 8, 9
Reply With Quote
  #14238  
Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM
sloppyjoe's Avatar
sloppyjoe sloppyjoe is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
Favorite beer: Batch Brewing
Posts: 2,346
Default

Anyone heard of "Killer is Dead"? It's out next week on PS3, and apparently from the creator of No More Heroes. The screenshots look kinda cool.
Reply With Quote
  #14239  
Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is HBO Go included in the Xbox Live Gold subscription or does it cost extra? Do you also need HBO Go through your cable plan -- similar to how it works through computers?
Reply With Quote
  #14240  
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nevermind - just saw you have to be an HBO subscriber as well...pass.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.54218 seconds with 10 queries