Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-09-2019, 03:14 PM
CAS

Beat ff8 for the first time this weekend to scratch that rpg itch until DQXI. Much easier than when I was a kid and didn't understand the junction system.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Player steps out in the wide Open World, looks around, scratches head.

Devs: shit, we didn't think this thing through.
I've had a lot of fun with some of the survival/crafting games (long dark, subnautica). If they had somewhat similar mechanics to that I think it would have been really good.

But the survival mechanics are trivially to the point of just being annoying, there is no real depth or need to the crafting system, and they throw a space ship at you right away at which point the game is mostly just finding aliens to sell stuff so you can get 2 more inventory spaces in your space ship.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:16 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

On the survival/crafting topic... I think Fallout 76 did a pretty decent job of keeping it balanced. You've got to craft at least food and water to survive, but it rarely ends up being the only thing you spend time doing, so it doesn't get too annoying. And as you level, you get options for perks that let your food and water last longer and weigh less, which helps a lot.

My only complaint has been that some of the supplies you need to salvage to maintain your armor can be pretty tough to find. I kind of get tired of constantly being on the lookout for military ammo bags and military-grade duct tape, just because I need ballistic weave to repair my armor. for a while, I took to just replacing my armor with whatever I salvaged when it started wearing out. I haven't yet seen a perk card that makes it easier for me to salvage rare components.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Beat ff8 for the first time this weekend to scratch that rpg itch until DQXI. Much easier than when I was a kid and didn't understand the junction system.
Gz...that's fast. This one is on my Radar as well as ff9

Currently hunting for CAS Exam 8 Platinum Trophy

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 09-09-2019, 07:27 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
Gz...that's fast. This one is on my Radar as well as ff9
I went in knowing how to cheese the junction system so by mid/end game the bosses were dying in one or two limit breaks. And of course the 3x speed is a life saver. On a whim I restarted FF7 but I forgot FF12 was on Switch too...never did get around to picking that one up.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
FF8 is my favorite game of all-time. I just picked it up on the switch. The first thing I did was play Triple Triad. Now that I have a decent deck with MiniMog and Quistis, I've been grinding the draw system outside Balamb (before Ifrit) to get 100 Thundara, Cura, Blizzara, Fira before actually starting the game. I'm still trying to decide who my team should be this go through. I've beaten the game with every character already. The 3x speed is fantastic.
Quote:
I went in knowing how to cheese the junction system so by mid/end game the bosses were dying in one or two limit breaks. And of course the 3x speed is a life saver. On a whim I restarted FF7 but I forgot FF12 was on Switch too...never did get around to picking that one up.
FF12 can stay in the trash where it belongs.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:19 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
FF12 can stay in the trash where it belongs.
Oddly this makes me want to play it more...
Old 09-12-2019, 11:31 AM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Aerith in the new FF7 remake trailer is hot af

Currently hunting for CAS Exam 8 Platinum Trophy

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 09-12-2019, 03:17 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
Anyone else playing Nier:Automata? I picked it up after I saw someone describe Horizon Zero Dawn (which I enjoyed) as a cheap version of another game, which was also a cheap version of Nier.

I'm about 10 hours in and am liking it. I went in without reading up on it, so I didn't know what to expect. It's the most anime-ish game I've ever played (from a visual/soundtrack point of view). It's a hack and slash, and initially reminded me a little of devil may cry.
Saw some trailers for it. I'll get it once I play through FFXIII which I've been wanting to do for some time.

It works on Linux now! Thanks to proton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:27 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
Aeriths in the new FF7 remake trailer is hot af

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one