Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:42 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdadude View Post
Jesus christ, is there any hope for marriage in the 21st century?
Sure. Don't get married too young, or don't get married because you think it will fix your relationship. That right there covers a huge portion of divorces from what I have observed.

In the long run, if you end up marrying a woman who is also your best friend, and you can be yourself with her, then I would say that that kind of marriage will tend to go the distance.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:33 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Sexist how? I suppose if one thinks Sting is saying all women are this way, then it would be sexist. I think he's telling the story of how one can land in a relationship where they never seem to live up to expectations, and how draining it is.

Below are the lyrics for those who are curious. Also, if you like funny songs about relationships, that same album has a great song called "Seven Days."
You might notice that SBS didn't say that the song was sexist . . . nor that many do . . . only that *some* would.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 09-13-2018, 10:42 PM
SOA

Studying for US Immigration
College: University of Waterloo Alumni
Favorite beer: Delirium Tremens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
You might notice that SBS didn't say that the song was sexist . . . nor that many do . . . only that *some* would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
You wouldn’t be Tiffany if there wasn’t at least some risk at any given point in time that you’re going to go batshit and threaten to burn our houses down. Why stop posting now?
Old 09-14-2018, 10:34 AM

Yes, she was a TV personality.

To expand on what JAS said.

We got married young (25 me, and 22 her). We really were best friends, but as we grew up we changed in different ways. I'm not sure I changed all that much, but she definitely did. We also went through a lot of really tough losses together which shaped how we looked at life and our relationship.

You can get married young, and it can work, but I think it's just that much harder. Apparently there is a lot more growth between 20-30 than either of us realized. I also believe that a couple needs a project. Most people choose kids, but it could be a business, travel goals, church, whatever. But you need something to work on together, and we didn't have that. IMO.

It's weird thinking about her. I'm really upset, angry, sad, etc about the situation. But I don't hate her for this. I really don't. It took a lot of courage to tell me she was unhappy. Not sure I could've done that.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:50 AM
SOA AAA

Small sample size, but in my close circle of friends, I know 3 people who got married when they were right out of college (22-24 age range). All 3 got divorced, 1 was after 2 years and 2 were ~4 years.

All those couples got together in high school and were together throughout college.
You're a Master of Karate
And friendship
For Everyone
Old 09-14-2018, 10:53 AM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoaos View Post
I also believe that a couple needs a project. Most people choose kids, but it could be a business, travel goals, church, whatever.
Interesting.
Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Piercing/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep
Old 09-14-2018, 10:59 AM
SOA AAA

I don't know about that. Having kids as a "project" to bring you closer to your spouse probably isn't the best idea.
You're a Master of Karate
And friendship
For Everyone
Old 09-14-2018, 11:07 AM

I don't think I would use the term "project" but I think it's extremely important to have common goals that you share. Ideas or lifestyles that you are working toward together is something that I feel is important.

Metaphorically speaking, I think you want two people that are traveling through life in the same direction and not traveling apart.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:13 AM

I think Chronus phrased it a bit better than myself. Maybe project isn't the best word, but yall understand what I'm saying.

Dang, we made it way longer than your friends greenman. This was year 8.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoaos View Post
I think Chronus phrased it a bit better than myself. Maybe project isn't the best word, but yall understand what I'm saying.

Dang, we made it way longer than your friends greenman. This was year 8.
I was just getting caught up on the thread. Good luck with all of the changes that you are going through. That much going on at once can be really hard but it sounds like you have the right attitude about it all. Keep it up and build the life that will make you happy.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.