Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 02-25-2019, 03:59 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
It's fun to picture campbell as a "cannabis insider."
Old 02-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I have many interests

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-26-2019, 01:56 PM
Non-Actuary

In answer to the OP's question...

It seems to be right as long as no one else looks at it...

I'm currently (unexpectedly) taking over a bunch of analyses from my spreadsheet loving predecessor and it's a nightmare!!! I'm struggling to replicate results and the predecessor is sure they can remember how it was done, but the numbers just don't work out.

On the other hand all the database issues we've been fixing might have a bit to do with it as well...
Old 04-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Non-Actuary

NO ONE questions MAKRO's spreadsheets!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xubbVvKbUfY
Old 04-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

:snort:

LinkedIn Profile
Old 04-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

woo! EuSpRIG gets a shout out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3GanzFA9cM

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

I missed this back in 2017 when it ran:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/stop-us...ffs-1511346601
Quote:
Stop Using Excel, Finance Chiefs Tell Staffs
Ubiquitous spreadsheet software that revolutionized accounting hasn’t kept up, CFOs say

Spoiler:
Adobe Inc.’s finance chief Mark Garrett says his team struggles keeping track of which jobs have been filled at the software company.

The process can take days and requires finance staff to pull data from disparate systems that house financial and human-resources information into Microsoft Corp.’s Excel spreadsheets. From there they can see which groups are hiring and how salary spending affects the budget.

“I don’t want financial planning people spending their time importing and exporting and manipulating data, I want them to focus on what is the data telling us,” Mr. Garrett said. He is working on cutting Excel out of this process, he said.

CFOs at companies including P.F. Chang’s China Bistro Inc., ABM Industries Inc. ABM 0.96% and Wintrust Financial Corp. WTFC -0.88% are on a similar drive to reduce how much their finance teams use Excel for financial planning, analysis and reporting.

Finance chiefs say the ubiquitous spreadsheet software that revolutionized accounting in the 1980s hasn’t kept up with the demands of contemporary corporate finance units. Errors can bloom because data in Excel is separated from other systems and isn’t automatically updated.

Older versions of Excel don’t allow multiple users to work together in one document, hampering collaboration. There is also a limit to how much data can be pulled into a single document, which can slow down analysis.

Newsletter Sign-up

“Excel just wasn’t designed to do some of the heavy lifting that companies need to do in finance,” said Paul Hammerman, a business applications analyst at Forrester Research Inc.

Instead, companies are turning to new, cloud-based technologies from Anaplan Inc., Workiva Inc., Adaptive Insights and their competitors.

The newer software connects with existing accounting and enterprise resource management systems, including those made by Oracle Corp. or SAP SE . This lets accountants aggregate, analyze and report data on one unified platform, often without additional training.

Adobe switched to Anaplan early last year and many of the tasks previously performed in spreadsheets are now done in the system, maintaining “one source of truth,” Mr. Garrett said.

Reports, including about head count, are compiled faster, he said.

P.F. Chang’s finance chief Jim Bell said he switched the company to Adaptive Insights from Excel because it fosters collaboration and cuts down on administrative tasks.

Mr. Bell said he was examining how kitchen staff cuts at the company’s Boston restaurants affected profitability while on a flight from Spokane, Wash., to Phoenix in early October. The company’s northeast regional manager followed along from his office across the country.

“If I was trying to do this on a spreadsheet, it just wouldn’t happen,” Mr. Bell said.

A year ago, Mr. Bell’s team spent hours distributing hundreds of Excel spreadsheets to regional and unit leaders each month for planning and performance tracking of the company’s 415 U.S. restaurants, he said. Now the same process takes minutes.

Excel has been evolving to better serve its many groups of specialized customers, including in the financial community, said Brian Jones, head of Microsoft’s Excel product strategy.

The latest version, launched this summer, allows multiple users to collaborate in a single document, crunch more than 100 million rows of data and comes with automated tools that find trends and suggest visualization, he said.

And while many finance-industry customers might graduate to more specialized software as their needs evolve, most of these solutions have an “export to Excel” button, Mr. Jones said.

“You’re still going to use Excel for the things you’re not using a tailored solution for,” he said.

Excel also has broad reach. Office 365, which includes Excel, has more than 120 million monthly users, said Ron Markezich, Microsoft’s corporate vice president of Office 365.

The company wouldn’t comment on what share of these customers are using the program for financial analysis and accounting.

Wintrust Financial, which operates 15 chartered community banks in Illinois and Wisconsin, dropped Excel in favor of Workiva because of high error rates.

“The CFO would ask: can you tell me how many loans were paid off and how many did you refinance in the last quarter, and we got different answers from different teams,” said Anita Chakravarthy, senior vice president of performance measurement.

Workiva has automatic consolidation at the department level that helps reduce errors and tracks who made changes to the data for easy auditing, Ms. Chakravarthy said.

Kayla Davis, who runs financial planning at ABM Industries, relied on Excel to pull data from a motley of disparate accounting systems, accumulated over decades of mergers and acquisitions.

Since switching to Anaplan in May, her team can give the CFO information more quickly because it doesn’t require as much verification, she said.

“If a job is losing money, you can quickly see what [happens] if we exit that job, what does that do to my entire portfolio,” Ms. Davis said.

ycombinator thread on it:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15756062

A few items from that thread:
Quote:
mabbo on Nov 22, 2017 [-]

I would argue that the most commonly used programming language is Excel. But few of the people using it realize they're programming.
It's a brilliant reactive data programming model that makes intuitive sense to non-technical users. They feel empowered to use it to solve problems right now with a computer. They experiment with it, try things, Google how to do more things- just like any programmer does. And they feel capable of doing this because they don't know they're programming.

Within the Amazon warehouse world, I have seen incredible innovation using it. An acquaintance of mine got into development by using it to help save soldiers lives while serving in Afghanistan[0].

I agree that mission critical data needs to get out of it and into a centralized system, but I still feel Excel is an incredible tool in any business.

gfolds on Nov 22, 2017 [-]

True but there is a threshold. If the problem is small enough, you can't beat an Excel spreadsheet's flexibility and low startup cost.
Having worked with a number of finance teams, the biggest problem is not when Excel is used as an analytics tool but as a financial database. Excel as a source of truth for financial data is truly terrifying. Even financial audits are still often handled with custom data pulls exchanged over Excel spreadsheets.

Shameless plug: that's why we ended up developing one of those SaaS tools (http://modfin.io). It lets finance teams map their source data to a proper, easily auditable accounting ledger so that they don't need to do their "magic" in Excel.

allenz on Nov 22, 2017 [-]

Why is it terrifying?
I am a programmer and I use csv/Excel as the single-entry financial database for a small healthcare business ($500k revenue). The accountant is fine with it. Filtering and pivot tables are a joy in Excel, and I can still run Python scripts whenever I need (mainly to auto-categorize bank transactions). Most other businesses around here use QuickBooks, which has a proper system of accounts, but then I can't play with the data.

screature2 on Nov 22, 2017 [-]

I'm guessing because of 1) lack of built in logging, 2) lack of change control and 2) difficult to automate testing and verification (because of it's relatively unstructured nature).
Excel as the source of truth for a financial system is particularly scary to me b/c it's so easy for someone/anyone to change entries or miscalculate so it's very difficult for me to get confidence in its completeness and correctness.

Completely agree about analytics and scripting, but I'd utilize the CSV/Excel reports as point-in-time analytics that can be tied back a structured source of truth (or a source of truth I can hold liable, e.g. a bank or credit card statement).

barrkel on Nov 22, 2017 [-]

There's a reason chefs don't use multi-tools; purpose-built tools always beat generic tools when you need to maximize efficiency on a task.

njarboe on Nov 22, 2017 [-]

I would say a chef's knife is the ultimate kitchen multi-tool. Having one great knife you really know how to use for cutting everything is much more efficient than a bunch of different knives.

AimHere on Nov 23, 2017 [-]

Of course the multitool is the single point of failure. If the chef isn't careful, that one great knife can be the vector that means ALL the customers get salmonella, not just the ones who ordered the chicken!

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Filtering and pivot tables are a joy in Excel
OMGWTFBBQ
Old 06-17-2019, 11:18 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Oooh a bibliography!

https://www.i-nth.com/resources/bibliography/

Quote:
Spreadsheet bibliography
This is a bibliography of literature about spreadsheet best practice, spreadsheet risk management, spreadsheet errors and testing, and methods for improving the robustness and reliability of spreadsheets.

If you are aware of any relevant items that are missing, then please let us know.

Total items in bibliography: 576

LinkedIn Profile

Tags
machine learning, predictive analytics, speadsheet error, spreadsheets