Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:41 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
FWIW I went 3/7 in placements so the 2 win difference equated to something like 1000 ranking points.
Potentially? Could also be the order. I would imagine it adjusts up and down as you play them. So like if you lost first 3, then it would drop you a good bit to lower gold / high silver matches and see how you did in those placement. Pretty sure I went win-loss-win-loss for a big chunk of it, with only 1 spot of 2 wins in a row (games 2 and 3 I think) and 1 spot of 2 losses in a row (games 8 and 9)
Old 09-19-2016, 03:54 PM
SOA

Overbuff has me at top 44% percentile right now.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:42 AM
SOA

Had a beast round with Zenyatta for def and Winston on offense. Always a good feeling getting that Epic vote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:06 AM
SOA

New patch. Halloween theme plus some balance changes.

My best champs right now are probably Reaper in offense, Junkrat in defense, Zarya in tank, and Zenyatta in support.

Ana is fun to play though and have been using her more lately. Still around 2500 in ladder points.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:29 AM
SOA

I'm hoping to try the new patch out tonight. Looking forward to it!

I enjoy Reaper & Soldier in Offense, Torb & Bastion in defense, I don't play tank often but I've started going Monkey more often to destroy all of the dirty Genji pickers, and for support I like Zen or Lucio.

I like Zen because he still helps do a lot of damage, yet he isn't good for solo-healing, so then I'll pick Lucio for the mad heals.

My complaint with people picking Junkrat all of the time is that frequently he does nice damage but spread out over the entire enemy team and isn't as able as others to focus down priority targets or pick off the hurt enemies quickly. He's very good at choke point defense though, so on some parts of some maps he can be incredible. It seems like lots of people pick him and use the excuse of getting gold damage to say it wasn't their fault the team lost. /rant
Old 10-12-2016, 11:40 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckinator View Post
I'm hoping to try the new patch out tonight. Looking forward to it!

I enjoy Reaper & Soldier in Offense, Torb & Bastion in defense, I don't play tank often but I've started going Monkey more often to destroy all of the dirty Genji pickers, and for support I like Zen or Lucio.

I like Zen because he still helps do a lot of damage, yet he isn't good for solo-healing, so then I'll pick Lucio for the mad heals.

My complaint with people picking Junkrat all of the time is that frequently he does nice damage but spread out over the entire enemy team and isn't as able as others to focus down priority targets or pick off the hurt enemies quickly. He's very good at choke point defense though, so on some parts of some maps he can be incredible. It seems like lots of people pick him and use the excuse of getting gold damage to say it wasn't their fault the team lost. /rant
Patch took a while to download (Xbox 1 for me), just a heads up.

I haven't tried Torb too much. Probably should explore him a bit more.

I haven't gotten down how to jump and move around as Lucio well, so I tend to avoid him. Should pick up Mercy probably, but also haven't given her much play time.

Definitely some merit to the Junkrat comment, I tend to use him on neutral point or a heavy chokepoint map. For instance defense on Watchpoint Gibraltar I love using Junkrat to lock down the stairwell on the building next to the initial spawn. You put your trap and launcher at the back entrance and just free reign down into the center. Takes a concerted effort to get you out of there. I'll play Hanzo every now and then, but I'm awful with his ultimate. His scattershot is crazy powerful though. Not good on Mei/Widowmaker right now and don't use Bastion.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:44 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Played on PC last night. If anyone wants to play, PM your screenname! Still sort of learning the dynamics but always willing to heal, haha.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:12 AM
SOA

Played this game way too much over the weekend..... But I hit Diamond finally! So #worth. Had been hovering mid 2800 to low 2900 for the last week before finally running it past the barrier I'd been seemingly against and got 3001 yesterday.

Main champs I've been using are:
DPS: Tracer, Reaper
Tank: Roadhog, Zarya
Support: Zenyatta, Ana

I'll play some others occasionally (Soldier, D'Va, Winston, Junkrat), but these are the only "Diamond level" comfort heroes I play - and even then Zarya probably isn't at that level. Think my most played on the season are Zen and Ana because I usually pick last. Roadhog is one of the most satisfying characters to play as, super fun when you are in the zone and landing hooks. Ditto for Tracer, when you can see ahead and predict abilities and outduel people it is super enjoyable.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:51 AM
SOA

Soldier 76 buff with the Sombra patch seems quite strong. He can really drop people quick now (I'm console not PC and even pre-patch Solider was typically considered better than McCree unless you have fantastic aim/mastery of McCree). Sombra is annoying as hell with the hacking ability and EMP. The 60 bullet clip is also pretty nuts. Not sure where she will settle in. Very high skill cap hero, not sure where she will end up in meta. Could see her being well utilized in pro teams, but not as much when solo laddering.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:10 PM

Studying for life
Favorite beer: Six Point Resin

I'm glad I'm good at my day job. Because I get my ass handed to me in Overwatch and it makes me feel inferior to twelve year old boys.
Retracted below.