Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71  
Old 04-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Chronus's Avatar
Chronus Chronus is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
It doesn't bother me. Notifications and status stuff goes there. Any app that is full screen just doesn't use that area. I've not had it be an issue yet.

I would have a hard time imagining the notch actually bothering anyone unless they are just being contrarian. What is the other option? Smaller screen real estate? Pop up selfie camera? No selfie camera at all?
It's a design preference, I'm going to be happy to see the notch era die a fiery death. Personally, I greatly prefer the new hole punch design we are seeing on phones this year. I think the Galaxy S10e looks great compared with notch designs.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Sloop John B's Avatar
Sloop John B Sloop John B is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Windy Apple
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
google has a craptastic practice of discounting new phones shortly after launch (pixel lines). the early buyers pay full freight and in what seems like no time at all, they start discounting a few hundo off the orig price.
Yeah if I get another Pixel phone (which is a big if) I'll definitely want to wait until the holidays to see if a decent deal pops up. I bought the 2 XL upon release only to see deals weeks later around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Childish Gambino's Avatar
Childish Gambino Childish Gambino is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 29,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
It doesn't bother me. Notifications and status stuff goes there. Any app that is full screen just doesn't use that area. I've not had it be an issue yet.

I would have a hard time imagining the notch actually bothering anyone unless they are just being contrarian. What is the other option? Smaller screen real estate? Pop up selfie camera? No selfie camera at all?
You answered my question. I just think it's ugly.

But your questions about selfie cameras don't make a ton of sense. Nearly every phone has one and the vast majority of them don't wrap the screen around it.
__________________
the president replied, "I don't care. I believe Putin."
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-03-2019, 02:37 PM
BG5150's Avatar
BG5150 BG5150 is online now
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Favorite beer: the one you're buying me
Posts: 21,953
Default

#iPhone4life
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-03-2019, 02:54 PM
DjPim's Avatar
DjPim DjPim is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Woot has the Pixel 3 XL 128GB for $520 today

https://www.woot.com/offers/google-p...cnt_gw_dly_img
Was 1 click away from ordering, but I've only ever bought cheaper items from Woot (sub-$50), and there seem to be quite a few reviews of people receiving wrong or defective phones... Thoughts? I've been keeping an eye on swappa too, but waiting for the right price.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
"Cali" SMH.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-04-2019, 01:27 PM
ahow's Avatar
ahow ahow is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Burninating the Indiana
Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale
Posts: 12,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
You answered my question. I just think it's ugly.

But your questions about selfie cameras don't make a ton of sense. Nearly every phone has one and the vast majority of them don't wrap the screen around it.
Right, but then you have an inch or so of totally unused space at the top. At least part of that area is used for notifications on one side and status indicators on the other.
__________________
ahow
Badass
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-04-2019, 04:08 PM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 23,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
Was 1 click away from ordering, but I've only ever bought cheaper items from Woot (sub-$50), and there seem to be quite a few reviews of people receiving wrong or defective phones... Thoughts? I've been keeping an eye on swappa too, but waiting for the right price.
i bought a refurb chromebook 14 some years back from woot. great value, no probs, but at $167, well below the prices you are considering.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 AM
BG5150's Avatar
BG5150 BG5150 is online now
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Favorite beer: the one you're buying me
Posts: 21,953
Default

I just picked up an iPhone XS Max yesterday. I dig it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.17875 seconds with 9 queries