Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 06-03-2019, 03:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
I don't really get the paranoia. I suppose it's because I'm not really doing anything that I have to worry about someone overhearing though
Yeah, I personally haven't gotten too worked up over the spying.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:15 PM

We use Google Home products instead of Amazon. Mostly for music, setting timers, checking weather, random questions (rarely), and having it tell the kids Mickey Mouse stories (where they choose their own path).

95% music.

I chose Google because I like the Nest products and wanted to have everything on the same ecosystem. We have a couple Nest outdoor cameras that need to be setup. Very happy with the thermostats.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
What are all y'all using these things for?

I think it's bad enough Stu has an iphone that's always listening.

Though D did have fun doing knock-knock jokes with Siri yesterday
Music. My wife subscribes to music unlimited, which is $8/month, and it has most every song. That works really well with filling the house with these little speakers that are always waiting for you to request a song / album / artist / playlist...

Otherwise.. not much. Timers. Grocery list. Choose your own adventure games... But yeah, it's barely useful for anything else and the voice recognition is still not great...

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 06-03-2019 at 03:36 PM..
Old 06-03-2019, 03:35 PM
CAS

i have a google home mini. i rarely use it. mrs yoyo uses it as a timer when baking.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Yeah, it's not so much that things are listening at me -- I mean, I'm on twitter & facebook (and lots of other places), so I obviously don't worry about privacy too much.

It's more of: "Why would I spend money on this?"

Mind you, I don't even have a smartphone. I really don't need one. I've got a dumb old flip phone.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-03-2019, 04:27 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Yeah, it's not so much that things are listening at me -- I mean, I'm on twitter & facebook (and lots of other places), so I obviously don't worry about privacy too much.

Mind you, I don't even have a smartphone. I really don't need one. I've got a dumb old flip phone.
Yeah, cheapness is really the key.

I remember when Kindle Fires came out for $300 and I was like "wow that's neat, but why in the world do I need a smaller slower junkier laptop phone netflix app thing?"...

Then like 5 years later the price drops to $25, and I'm like.. "huh, there's got to be SOMETHING I can do with that thing? what if I stick in the bathroom...."

Smart-phones are kind of the same way. You can get a very cheap smart phone, with wifi, a high-end camera, and a pay-for-use data plan for very little money. But I can understand not wanting that particular curse.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 06-03-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Old 06-03-2019, 08:25 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:

I just got back from a four-day trip where my smart phone was the only bit of tech I took with me. I didn't need to plug into the corporate network to do "work work", and the phone was able to handle just about everything else I needed to do.

I think that's the lightest I've traveled in years.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:33 PM
CAS

Quote:
waze/google maps is almost worth the price of admission of a smartphone. If not outright worth it. Can't say how many times it has gotten me to my destination while others take much longer (including everyday things like work).
Old 06-03-2019, 09:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Generally I think Alexa is pretty dumb as well as smart home technology generally. My mom gets a huge kick out of being able to turn on the lights in her computer room with ITTT voice command, but it seems like such a ridiculously unnecessary gadget to me.
how's ittt with iOS these days? I thought it was so cool back when it first came out, then realized there wasnt much for iOS, so I deleted it. and before you suggest I get an android, I get handmedowns from my wife--she gets a new phone, I get her old phone. and she's an apple loyalist
Old 06-03-2019, 11:06 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Row View Post
We use Google Home products instead of Amazon. Mostly for music, setting timers, checking weather, random questions (rarely), and having it tell the kids Mickey Mouse stories (where they choose their own path).

95% music.

I chose Google because I like the Nest products and wanted to have everything on the same ecosystem. We have a couple Nest outdoor cameras that need to be setup. Very happy with the thermostats.
Me too. For whatever reason, I trust google to listen to me all the time in a way that I wouldn't trust Amazon. Plus I think hey-google works better than alexa (or they did when I tested them when they first came out) at giving me what I meant.