Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-07-2019, 09:02 AM

Default Protecting a sheet in Excel

I just built a spreadsheet to keep track of my students' trips to the bathroom. By tapping buttons linked to macros, a log is created on another sheet of all of the times they logged in an out, and then with a simple formula I can keep track of the cumulative time they've been out of my room.

Is there a way I can password protect just the sheet with data from being manipulated directly? I want to leave this spreadsheet running near the door to my classroom so that students can check themselves in and out, but I want to block them from the ability to go to the tab with all the raw data, or they could just manually delete some of it. Of course, I would like to have the ability to do this myself if necessary.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:10 AM
CAS

is this a parody thread?
Old 06-07-2019, 09:18 AM
SOA

Tracking bathroom visits seems odd, but that aside...

Multiple ways to do it, but I would just make the excel sheet "very hidden" and then password protect VBA. You cannot unhide it without a macro that I am aware of if it is very hidden.

Sub VeryHiddenSheet()
Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = xlVeryHidden
End Sub

And then to unhide it for yourself

Sub UnhideSheet()
Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = True
End Sub
Old 06-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayanActuary View Post
Tracking bathroom visits seems odd, but that aside...

Multiple ways to do it, but I would just make the excel sheet "very hidden" and then password protect VBA. You cannot unhide it without a macro that I am aware of if it is very hidden.

Sub VeryHiddenSheet()
Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = xlVeryHidden
End Sub

And then to unhide it for yourself

Sub UnhideSheet()
Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = True
End Sub
You can see the "status" of all sheets, including very hidden sheets, when viewing VBA code. Visibilty can be changed manually from here
Attached Images

Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 06-07-2019, 09:31 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
You can see the "status" of all sheets, including very hidden sheets, when viewing VBA code. Visibilty can be changed manually from here
Didn't know that, thanks for sharing. Do you have to enter in the VBA password to change the status of the sheet? Or can you do that without the password?
Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayanActuary View Post
Didn't know that, thanks for sharing. Do you have to enter in the VBA password to change the status of the sheet? Or can you do that without the password?
No clue, I have never password protected VBA.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 06-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

I was also going to suggest the idea of a xlSheetVeryHidden for the data.

But I don't think that the worksheet itself can be "password protected" . . . that is a workbook-level feature; but this only affects whether or not it can be edited. I think with the password protection in place, VBA code will still work to "record" (e.g., copy/paste info from one worksheet to another), but the user cannot.

With all that said, I think if you open the workbook in "Read Only" mode (i.e., don't enter the password, if enabled), then you will not have access to the VBA editor for that workbook.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 06-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Other things that you can also do is to "unprotect" those cells that you want the students to be able to "manipulate" (e.g., edit to input their name), then protect the worksheet (can be done by right-clicking the worksheet tab or through the VBA editor).

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 06-07-2019, 10:38 AM

If the workbook is protected, will the macros still be able to change the values of cells?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:46 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

You can password protect the VBA (In the VBA editor: Tools -> VBAProject Properties -> Protection). That will make it so that no one without the password could open up your file and see the worksheets or VBA code (there are ways around it, but I'm assuming your kids aren't going to be sitting at the computer for 20 minutes without you noticing them).

You can password protect just a worksheet (In my version of Excel: Review -> Protect Sheet). In you're macro you'll just have to add a worksheet.unprotect "password" to your code before you do any edits, then a worksheet.protect "password" to the end of your code.

So you could either hide the worksheet (xlVeryHidden) or protect the cells and have the macro unprotect then reprotect them after the data is entered. If you use xlVeryHidden you may have to have the macro unhide the worksheet to enter data into it, depending on your macro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.