Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-18-2018, 12:21 PM
CAS

google finally shipped my phone. they claimed that the cc on file had expired. it had not. the pessimist in me thinks the next hurdle will be that they will claim i'm not eligible for the google fi travel offer (spend $799 on phone, get $799 in travel gift cards). i have a complete email trail. we'll see how it goes. i expect to port my number tomorrow or the following day after delivery.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:15 AM
CAS

got the phone yesterday. it's nice, but smaller battery size than what i had with the oneplus 5. i'll give it a week or so before i start judging battery performance.

number porting to google fi was fast and easy. app and data transfer from old to new phone was easy too.

two main reasons i got this phone are camera quality and the travel offer that makes this a free phone. i don't doubt the camera quality is superior. we'll see if there are any problems collecting on the travel offer.

i miss the alert slider that the oneplus line has and i'm not thrilled with fingerprint sensor on the back instead of front, but at least there isn't a friggin notch
Old 12-20-2018, 11:02 AM
CAS

google fi likes to connect to wifi hot-spots to save on cellular data use. these hot-spots are supposed to be secure, but who knows? they've introduced something called enhanced network that's an always on VPN service for wifi and cellular. sounds like a good idea. estimated to increase data use by 10%

https://www.blog.google/products/pro...e-connections/
Old 12-25-2018, 02:02 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Out of curiosity, is there a mechanism one can use to try out Google Fi?

I need to do something with my father's phones, for reasons more complex than it bears discussing here. One consideration is crappy cell reception in his retirement complex.

Next trip, I have GOT to bring gear to test reception of Verizon and T-Mobile (we have AT&T)....but it just occurred to me that Fi might be a good option for him. And I'm sitting here with my Pixel....