Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

MAS-I Old Exam S Forum

Old 07-30-2018, 10:14 PM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totient(43) View Post
I think I'm a little weird because I'm just going through the source materials now, and I'll get a 45-day ADAPT subscription later. I took exam C so that with courses from school I know the basics of sections A and B. Right now I'm reading through James for section C. I really like the applications with R because it helps to have concrete examples, and it helps with my coding abilities.
I'm right there with you as far as C goes. I just passed it in February so I'm hoping this exam is easier because of that. It seems like between these two, whichever one comes first makes the second one easier. Are you working through the coding examples? I know they aren't on the syllabus.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:16 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonMaster1994 View Post
I am about half way through the Life Contingencies section. I would say that the difficulty is about the same as Exam C.
Sounds like you're pretty far. I'd say in the 20s? How's Life Con? I studied for MLC twice, but failed both times. Is it just the basics or do they go in depth? If this exam is the same difficulty as Exam C, I think I'm in good shape since I had good success with that exam.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:17 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox14 View Post
I'll be taking this one after passing Exam 5 this spring. I'm starting out a little behind all of you but will catch up!

I'm using ASM and ADAPT and just went through ASM section 1, which is just review from Exam C.
You've got plenty of time. Just go at your own pace!
Old 07-31-2018, 02:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
I'm right there with you as far as C goes. I just passed it in February so I'm hoping this exam is easier because of that. It seems like between these two, whichever one comes first makes the second one easier. Are you working through the coding examples? I know they aren't on the syllabus.
I hope it will. It looks like maybe 25% will bleed over.

I'm not sure I follow you. In James, the end of chapter labs are on the syllabus in section C. But I'm being selective about doing examples that focus mainly on writing R code because it isn't needed for the CAS exams.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:52 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totient(43) View Post
I hope it will. It looks like maybe 25% will bleed over.

I'm not sure I follow you. In James, the end of chapter labs are on the syllabus in section C. But I'm being selective about doing examples that focus mainly on writing R code because it isn't needed for the CAS exams.
I didn't think anything related to writing R code would be involved in Exam MAS-I. That's what I meant. When I referred to C, I meant Exam C/4.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:29 AM
CAS

I'm finding the TIA videos and notes extremely hard to follow. I almost regret getting the seminar. Sitting through 35+ minute videos with practically incomprehensible notes is a real struggle so far. Anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited by SwimToAjit; 08-01-2018 at 12:40 AM..
Old 08-01-2018, 01:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToAjit View Post
I'm finding the TIA videos and notes extremely hard to follow. I almost regret getting the seminar. Sitting through 35+ minute videos with practically incomprehensible notes is a real struggle so far. Anyone else feel the same way?
I had TIA for C, only watched two videos and read handouts for the rest. Personally, I prefer reading books on my own than listening to lecture; it's just harder for me to stay focused. For now, I'm only using ASM manual.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:34 PM
CAS

College: Marquette University
Default Using Mahler for MAS I

Hi,

Can anyone explain how you ask questions regarding Mahler's materials? I didn't notice a forum or anything similar to TIA and Adapt.

I am worried that if I get stuck on something, I have no support to work through my questions.

Is there a Mahler forum somwhere within the Outpost?

Thanks for any insights!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:37 PM
CAS

Studying for Catching them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
Sounds like you're pretty far. I'd say in the 20s? How's Life Con? I studied for MLC twice, but failed both times. Is it just the basics or do they go in depth? If this exam is the same difficulty as Exam C, I think I'm in good shape since I had good success with that exam.
Life Con has been pretty difficult for me. Granted, I have had to prior knowledge of Life Con before studying the section. It just seems like an extension of FM so it shouldn't be too bad.

You should be fine since you took MLC twice!
Old 08-01-2018, 04:58 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1 View Post
Hi,

Can anyone explain how you ask questions regarding Mahler's materials? I didn't notice a forum or anything similar to TIA and Adapt.

I am worried that if I get stuck on something, I have no support to work through my questions.

Is there a Mahler forum somwhere within the Outpost?

Thanks for any insights!
Mahler is generally pretty good about showing work on solutions, so you should be fine with the printed solutions for the most part. That said, he can be contacted at hmahler@mac.com.