Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

MAS-I Old Exam S Forum

Old 08-01-2018, 10:20 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arale View Post
I had TIA for C, only watched two videos and read handouts for the rest. Personally, I prefer reading books on my own than listening to lecture; it's just harder for me to stay focused. For now, I'm only using ASM manual.
I have ASM as well, fortunately. Only started reading it tonight. *Significantly* better than the TIA videos so far.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:51 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
College: University of Nebraska at Omaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToAjit View Post
I'm finding the TIA videos and notes extremely hard to follow. I almost regret getting the seminar. Sitting through 35+ minute videos with practically incomprehensible notes is a real struggle so far. Anyone else feel the same way?
I've only gotten through section B so far, but only one lesson felt like that so far.

It helps that I took college courses over a lot of these topics and things are coming back to me. Even looking ahead, I'm seeing a lot of familiar topics.

VEE: Accounting and Corporate Finance[✔] Economics[✔]

Online Course: 1[ ] 2[ ]

Course on Professionalism[ ]
Old 08-02-2018, 01:16 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsteinbach View Post
I've only gotten through section B so far, but only one lesson felt like that so far.

It helps that I took college courses over a lot of these topics and things are coming back to me. Even looking ahead, I'm seeing a lot of familiar topics.
I did, too. I used TIA for C and thought it was okay. I feel that the instructor for this course (MAS-I) covers the material very abstractly, and the accompanying notes are cryptic. Have felt much more comfortable with ASM so far.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:56 AM
CAS

College: Pennsylvania State University
Favorite beer: Goose Island 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToAjit View Post
I did, too. I used TIA for C and thought it was okay. I feel that the instructor for this course (MAS-I) covers the material very abstractly, and the accompanying notes are cryptic. Have felt much more comfortable with ASM so far.
I don't think I would call it abstract or cryptic at all. I think Lee, and TIA in general, wants you to learn the material instead of just teaching you how to pass the exam. There's no point in having these exams if candidates don't understand the material on a foundational level and can learn to apply the principles. Some people perform much better when they can just learn something in the general case (like in an advanced-level undergraduate course); others prefer to learn the exam and spend a lot of time learning shortcuts, which I think ASM does a better job catering to.

TL;DR In my personal opinion/experience, (my) study hours are cut at least in half when more attention is spent on truly understanding the material instead of hammering practice problems and shortcuts. I probably spent 300-400 hours studying for MFE from doing so many practice problems, whereas I maybe spent 100-125 hours studying for C. I walked into C feeling much more prepared than I did MFE.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:12 PM
CAS SOA

College: SOA

I heard that this sitting is not going to be a online exam rather will be a pen and paper exam
Old 08-07-2018, 04:32 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad348908 View Post
I heard that this sitting is not going to be a online exam rather will be a pen and paper exam
MAS-I, and previously Exam S, have always been administered via pencil and paper at the same exam sites used for upper level exams, and will be this sitting as well. I suspect that this exam will eventually move to an online format as this appears to be the CAS' goal with the TBE initiatives.

Last edited by Poisson Gamma; 08-07-2018 at 05:33 PM..
Old 08-10-2018, 02:43 PM
CAS

Registered...
Old 08-13-2018, 02:35 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-1
Favorite beer: IPAs

Anyone else finding the random graphs tough to memorize?
Old 08-14-2018, 12:10 AM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuarialAlpha View Post
Anyone else finding the random graphs tough to memorize?
I'm not too worried about those yet. I'll drill those if I have time at the end.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:20 AM
CAS

Studying for MAS-1
Favorite beer: IPAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
I'm not too worried about those yet. I'll drill those if I have time at the end.
Looks like that will be my plan as well.