Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 11-23-2015, 11:57 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull View Post
Not worth paying RL money for, but probably worth doing dailies for a month and buying with in-game currency.
Thanks for the advice! I haven't looked into which cards you unlock in this one yet. Are the cards unlock only or can you craft them after they're released?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckinator View Post
Thanks for the advice! I haven't looked into which cards you unlock in this one yet. Are the cards unlock only or can you craft them after they're released?
Expansion cards can be crafted, no problem.

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 11-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckinator View Post
Those Tavern Brawls can be pretty fun and you get a free pack of cards for your first win every time they reset the brawl. Usually put you in interesting scenarios and can be a nice breather from constructed play.

I bought the first two expansions with real money, but don't really want to keep buying them every few months (or however often they release them).
Yeah, I'm at the point where I don't find Arena fun anymore (too competitive and time consuming) nor regular single player, ranked or casual, since too many players have too many strong cards. This is a nice change of pace.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:05 PM
SOA

I agree with whoever said you need to drop some serious coin to play competitively. I've played relatively consistently and have hovered around rank 12-14 each season through my career. Pretty tired of seeing the same (expensive) decks over and over again, to the point where I just surrender if I mulligan badly against a control warrior or mage. I have not played against a rogue in as long as I can remember.

Then again, I very rarely disenchant cards. I like to collect them. And I think I have a nice collection of cards some of which are quite fun and I like to use (Cho, Mekka, Golden Black Knight, etc).

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 11-23-2015, 12:07 PM
SOA

Every deck has Dr. Boom in it. I think that's poor game design.

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 PM
CAS

Studying for Jazz Piano
Favorite beer: Founders Dirty Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ito's Phlegm View Post
I agree with whoever said you need to drop some serious coin to play competitively. I've played relatively consistently and have hovered around rank 12-14 each season through my career. Pretty tired of seeing the same (expensive) decks over and over again, to the point where I just surrender if I mulligan badly against a control warrior or mage. I have not played against a rogue in as long as I can remember.

Then again, I very rarely disenchant cards. I like to collect them. And I think I have a nice collection of cards some of which are quite fun and I like to use (Cho, Mekka, Golden Black Knight, etc).
agree, I don't particularly care for the constructed gameplay in HS. never really have with CCGs, to be fair.

I've been able to keep up reasonably well with 2-3 top-tier decks until recently, only having spent $25 on one adventure, but I've played since open beta. Still couldn't play control warrior or similar decks unless I dropped some coin.

as a new player, at this point it would be ridiculously tough to get into remotely serious ranked play.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:32 PM
SOA

That reminds me. I think I've spent a total of about $70 on hearthstone since 2013. A few packs and 1 or 2 arenas, and the three adventures. About 1600 dust in total. I enjoy the adventures, actually. I think that's worth it, and I like to collect the extra cards.

But I wish there was a way to get golden versions of those cards without having to craft them all :/

AO 2018 Political Bingo
Spoiler:
Old 11-23-2015, 01:49 PM
SOA

I'm not really a fan of the way they designed the dust and crafting system. I would much rather there be a marketplace/exchange where I can trade/buy/sell specific cards. It really sucks to not have key cards for decks/archetypes.

I would much rather spend a few dollars on the legendaries that I want/need for decks than to spend money on the single player adventures. I'm more of a competitive minded person though; I like beating people
Old 02-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Finally spent money on the game by buying League of Explorers. I really enjoy going through the single player matches.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:07 PM
CAS

nerds