Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-13-2019, 01:45 PM
SOA

Studying for ASA? Plz let my FA MMR

Questionable execution aside, I think it makes way more sense to test the material this way. It sucked that I studied the whole syllabus and only a fraction of it was covered, now it actually seems more diversified.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoaminoneofyourbusiness View Post
Lol, glad I actually took the first sitting. Seems like you're getting tested on the full syllabus instead of being okay as long as you have the basics down of DTs/GLMs
yep. even though there is more structure now, seems like the exam is going to be a lot harder concept-wise.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:21 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UC Berkeley

Thanks for letting us know! They should have send an Email to the PA Exam takers. Especially they didn't mention any structure change in the Updates.

I think the exam is gonna be hard after the structure change, too.

The 10 listed questions seems to test more details on the concepts.
I was just focusing on the analysis plan and understanding the big picture, but I think I need to dig in more to the raw materials now (including the math behind).

Module 9 is not that relevant anymore.

FAP: 1 2 3 4 IA 6 7 FA

Last edited by lindy3730; 05-13-2019 at 02:29 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 03:27 PM

Would one month while working full time enough for study with the new syllabus change?
Old 05-13-2019, 04:20 PM
SOA

Hey I had a quick question about graphs in RStudio. If a chunk has more than one graph in it and I run it, a pop up screen comes up and only displays the last graph (the other graphs pop up while its running for a split second).
So I have to comment/uncomment and run the code for each graph in order to see it. Does anyone know how to update the settings so I can see more than one?
Old 05-13-2019, 05:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Hey I had a quick question about graphs in RStudio. If a chunk has more than one graph in it and I run it, a pop up screen comes up and only displays the last graph (the other graphs pop up while its running for a split second).
So I have to comment/uncomment and run the code for each graph in order to see it. Does anyone know how to update the settings so I can see more than one?
There are a couple ways to do this.

1. Your plots tab in RStudio should have all the plots up, you can use the < > arrows to go between them

2. Change your RStudio settings with code like
Quote:
par(mfrow=c(2,3))
(Might be slightly off on that) to make your plotting split into a 2x3 grid, then plot your 6 graphs

3. Use gridExtra::grid.arrange(p1,p2,p3,p4, ncol=2), where p1:4 are saved plots, to make 2x2 in this example.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
There are a couple ways to do this.

1. Your plots tab in RStudio should have all the plots up, you can use the < > arrows to go between them

2. Change your RStudio settings with code like

(Might be slightly off on that) to make your plotting split into a 2x3 grid, then plot your 6 graphs

3. Use gridExtra::grid.arrange(p1,p2,p3,p4, ncol=2), where p1:4 are saved plots, to make 2x2 in this example.
1. I see the arrows in the "Plots" section but the < > arrows are grayed out. None of my plots show up there. They show up in a an entirely separate pop-up window, not part of the main screen.

2. This did not work for me, but is also probably for that "Plots" section.

3. This does work, but was looking for an easier way to view the plots the way they code them in the rmd files so I don't have to do that each time.

Any idea how to turn my "Plots" section on?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:44 PM
SOA

College: St. John's university

Quote:
when you create the code chunk, does it look like the following:

```{r}
<code>
```

or does it look like
```{r, results = "hide"}
<code>
```

if it still doesn't work, you may have to uninstall and reinstall R studio
Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 AM
SOA

Finally got a chance to work through the new exam. I stand by my statement that it became a lot easier.

The solution says that this is representative of a high quality answer, but the solutions are all basic surface level explanations and the code provided seems even more generous that before.

In #5 they decided to use probit link over logit, based on some crappy reasoning. You can see how they suffered for it later in #8 when they had to explain the coefficients in terms of Normal CDF rather than odds ratio if they stuck with logit.

While no reasonable person would have went with probit in the real exam (based on their results), I can appreciate them giving us some exposure to the lesser used link functions while practicing now. This is a good reminder that during the real exam we should read through all the questions first so that we can know which choices to make to make the later questions easier to answer.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:54 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
1. I see the arrows in the "Plots" section but the < > arrows are grayed out. None of my plots show up there. They show up in a an entirely separate pop-up window, not part of the main screen.

2. This did not work for me, but is also probably for that "Plots" section.

3. This does work, but was looking for an easier way to view the plots the way they code them in the rmd files so I don't have to do that each time.

1. and 2. are slightly different if running in .rmd inside chunks rather than R script, I forgot to mention.

Can you share your code or a reproducible example? It may be one of your chunk options like someone else mentioned.