Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:14 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
Careers used to be fun imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
US News has them in the $78K to $129K range, while actuaries are at $75K to $141K.
I can't say that I'm an expert, so I'll accept these as reasonable numbers - dunno.

I think one thing that makes it hard to compare is the credentialing process results in a much lower dispersion for actuaries than for other fields, including SEs. Actuaries that are 2-3 years out of their bachelors will make maybe $80k* average, with a low end of $60k and a high end of $110k. SEs will make the same $80k average, but the very best of them were hired by Google and started at $200k+equity, moving up from there. Nobody's paying that for EL actuaries (maybe they should: I have consistently said that companies don't pay enough for the best talent in this field and - mostly as a result of exams - overpay for weak talent).

*just picked numbers, I didn't check DWS or anything
Old 08-15-2019, 01:31 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
I can't say that I'm an expert, so I'll accept these as reasonable numbers - dunno.

I think one thing that makes it hard to compare is the credentialing process results in a much lower dispersion for actuaries than for other fields, including SEs....
Actuaries are spread around less than those in other fields??

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 08-15-2019, 01:36 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Actuaries are spread around less than those in other fields??
I would think so. Then again this could vary depending on who you think is and isn't a software engineer and who is and isn't an actuary. There are insanely rich founders of tech companies that are software engineers but you don't really see that with many actuaries. Then again by the time those founders are rich they're doing things other than engineering on a day-to-day basis.

And, I think a lot of these stats are unreliable as once you get to a certain income level, your title tends to change. I'm not sure if the stats are capturing the transition from say, software engineer to architect or actuary to head of pricing, or whatever.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:55 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life View Post
this job is overrated af.

Actuarial is a backwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Yes, well, that's partially the result of my robust education. I was exposed to far more than a narrow money-making selection of classes. The influence of art, literature, and other liberal arts makes it easier for me to write coherently in a format significantly longer than 140 characters. Additionally, I am able to use colorful terms that illustrate my ideas, words that exceed two syllables in length, and even proper punctuation (most of the time).
Old 08-15-2019, 03:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
Agreed. That would have been a helpful qualifier.

And actually, it depends what you mean by fresh grad. Fresh undergrad, yes it's a nice starting number. Fresh grad degree it's warm at best.
Sorry about that. Should've be more clear.

She did actuarial for grad, but landed as a quant.

I feel there's not much of a distinction between undergrad and grad in terms of actuaries.

But even for a fresh grad, 130k (as a quant) isn't bad at all, in my opinion.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:05 PM
CAS

MS in actuarial is a glorified second bachelors

And, a BS/BA in actuarial is a glorified test-prep program not unlike Kaplan or Princeton Review

Quote:
Old 08-15-2019, 03:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Will add to my previous reply: When Y2K was coming up , programmers were making a ton. Wasn't unusual to find young people bragging how amazing their jobs were - programmers with 2-3 years of experience making 50% more than an actuary they graduated with (and no studying). I suggested that after Y2K, they would see a lot of slack as companies took a breather from tech investment. Response was usually some version of "Yeah, eventually I'll have 50 recruiters chasing me instead of 100". Realty: The very best still had great jobs but a lot of people who had mediocre skills and the ability to negotiate that into something well-paying in 1997-99, did not have the programming skills and negotiation ability to leverage that into a great job, or any job, in 2001. Maybe that's what 2022 looks like, maybe not.

Would add that this

seems an odd way to think about the actuarial field, as the risk affects the employer, but there's no real direct risk for the actuary - rates go up, companies need actuaries; rates go down, companies need actuaries. The rest of the OP seems a little off to me as it appears to be focused on extreme cases rather than norms, but I don't know enough about the programming norms to say it's wrong.

I think I was simply thinking, that we manage the most complex products, and have to deal with multi-dimensional two-tailed risks. The two-sided nature of the risks will hinder the insurance companies, which will trickle down to how much they're paying actuaries, I think. Lastly, as people who manage those complex risks and design products, actuaries don't make much according to my few data points.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
MS in actuarial is a glorified second bachelors

And, a BS/BA in actuarial is a glorified test-prep program not unlike Kaplan or Princeton Review

Wouldn't say it's glorified
Old 08-15-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koudai8 View Post
But even for a fresh grad, 130k (as a quant) isn't bad at all, in my opinion.
Used to see numbers much bigger than that. It's stabilized a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Spoiler:
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.