Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-05-2011, 03:22 PM

I didn't realize there was so much play left (150 left playing down to 50). This is a snap call in my opinion.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
That's what I told myself. 26K shove says he wants me to fold. AA or KK shouldn't do that there. He had right around an average stack and I felt he just wanted to add ~4K (my bet + B/A) right there.
These things happen in tournaments. Can't cash in them all, and when you do, you want to be top 5.

If you fold, what is your table image then? A wimp. Expect more of the same against your raises (or you tighten up further) until you bust out an hour later.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:46 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
If you fold, what is your table image then? A wimp. Expect more of the same against your raises (or you tighten up further) until you bust out an hour later.
Seriously...do you play much poker at all? One fold = "wimp" table image? You realize if I fold, they would have never seen my queens, right? That's called "mucking your cards."
Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 AM
SOA

Studying for CFA Level III
College: UC Santa Barbara
Favorite beer: Bourbon

i am almost never folding QQ in this spot to an unknown in a donkament. maybe i give it a think if he's age 70+ but even then i'm calling more often than not.

i'm not a great player, but would be surprised if any of that crew liked the fold either.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:32 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranialfury13 View Post
i am almost never folding QQ in this spot to an unknown in a donkament. maybe i give it a think if he's age 70+ but even then i'm calling more often than not.

i'm not a great player, but would be surprised if any of that crew liked the fold either.
Well I didn't fold...

I guess I'm just curious if there's ever a spot like this (outside of already cashing and hunting big money jumps) where you should fold and keep your strong chip stack rather than nearly risk your tournament life.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:24 AM

If its very close to the bubble, maybe you could fold. But these overshoves are almost always medium pairs or aces with decent kickers. QQ is way ahead of his range, and you made the correct call, which is all you can control.
The fisherman comes up, puts his two poles in the sand. He stares out at the sea, just exactly like me, but I've got a book in my hand. We will have caught on to something by the end of the day. But mostly we think about the one that got away.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 AM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

If you even consider folding to an all in raise after opening with QQ, you should have just mucked your hand preflop.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM

One other quick observation that will probably help you in the future:

Next time you're at at table and you see someone wildly overbet the pot all-in preflop, what they're telling you is that they know they have no post-flop skills. This means they will hardly ever defend their blinds, and therefore you should raise their blinds at every single opportunity you get, regardless of their position relative to you.
The fisherman comes up, puts his two poles in the sand. He stares out at the sea, just exactly like me, but I've got a book in my hand. We will have caught on to something by the end of the day. But mostly we think about the one that got away.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: lol beer ... ketel1 please....k thks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
One other quick observation that will probably help you in the future:

Next time you're at at table and you see someone wildly overbet the pot all-in preflop, what they're telling you is that they know they have no post-flop skills. This means they will hardly ever defend their blinds, and therefore you should raise their blinds at every single opportunity you get, regardless of their position relative to you.
lol nah..everyone thinks they have great postflop skills
Old 12-06-2011, 11:42 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Seriously...do you play much poker at all? One fold = "wimp" table image? You realize if I fold, they would have never seen my queens, right? That's called "mucking your cards."
Now, don't be like that.
What should I think of someone who raises UTG (seems strong), then folds to a large all-in (not so strong)? I think he raises light. I think he'll raise light the next time. I think he'll fold to the next all-in. I won't even have to look at my cards.
Your table image, and your ideas about others, is constantly changing. You'll never get enough data to be sure, but you make a guess, and modify as the game goes along. This is his first look at you.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.