Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:33 PM
SOA

Default Thank-you to exam volunteers

So I just got an email from the SOA thanking me for being an exam volunteer. I normally delete those things without opening them, but there was a $25 Amazon gift card code in there.

Just wanted to put the word out there for other potential volunteers to not throw away $25.

I'm not sure this is the best use of my dues, but whatever. If they really want to pay me $25, fine.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:32 PM

btw I like this compared to that "gift".
Old 07-25-2018, 03:51 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
So I just got an email from the SOA thanking me for being an exam volunteer. I normally delete those things without opening them, but there was a $25 Amazon gift card code in there.

Just wanted to put the word out there for other potential volunteers to not throw away $25.

I'm not sure this is the best use of my dues, but whatever. If they really want to pay me $25, fine.
Have you also thrown away the exam volunteer thank you cards in the past? (Those were also $25 Amazon GCs.)

And I'd say it's a good use of dues when the alternative is to pay for exam sites to be available or to outsource some part of the process.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Old 07-25-2018, 04:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat? View Post
Have you also thrown away the exam volunteer thank you cards in the past? (Those were also $25 Amazon GCs.)

And I'd say it's a good use of dues when the alternative is to pay for exam sites to be available or to outsource some part of the process.
I'm not sure... possibly.

Were they physical cards? I'd probably open a physical card.

I proctor exams all the time and this is definitely the first $25 gift card I've received. But at my site they split up the sessions so it's possible that this is the first time that my name ever filtered back to the SOA as the official proctor. Not sure.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:21 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
I'm not sure... possibly.

Were they physical cards? I'd probably open a physical card.

I proctor exams all the time and this is definitely the first $25 gift card I've received. But at my site they split up the sessions so it's possible that this is the first time that my name ever filtered back to the SOA as the official proctor. Not sure.
I also proctor exams, and following every sitting (except maybe one), we've received a physical thank you card from the SOA with an insert similar to this e-mailed one that described how to redeem the gift.

I think they send it to the main supervisor of the exam.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Old 07-25-2018, 05:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat? View Post
I also proctor exams, and following every sitting (except maybe one), we've received a physical thank you card from the SOA with an insert similar to this e-mailed one that described how to redeem the gift.

I think they send it to the main supervisor of the exam.
It could well be that this is the first time my name has gotten to them.

For a typical FSA exam we'll have four proctors: first half morning session, second half morning session, first half afternoon session, second half afternoon session.

Could be that I'm usually doing the second half but this time I was doing the first half and so my name was the one on all the paperwork? No idea. Or maybe I threw out a $25 credit at Amazon!

Like I said, I'm pretty sure that I would at least open a physical card. If this is the first time they emailed them, then I probably didn't miss out on anything, but now I know to sign up for the "first half" session so I can get $25!

ETA: This year I also qualified for a much better SOA gift than I usually do... could well be related to proctoring an exam.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:19 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:

How much of "your" dues is it?
Please show your work.

I'm guessing somewhere between 10 and 15 cents of each of OUR dues, spread equally among members of the SOA.

After doing a quick and dirty, I think it's less than my estimate. My calculation hinges on:
1. # of graders per session. (50 is my estimate.)
2. All graders get the same amount.
3. Two sessions of written answer grading per year.
4. 2017 Annual Report's membership count.

Oooh, crap: "exam volunteer." I was thinking only graders.
Not sure how many there are of them.

So, might be as much as a dollar.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:29 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:

Exam fees would cover these items
Old 07-25-2018, 09:42 PM

Dues and exam expenses are separate. Exams are self-supporting with some money left over, that is what I was told.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:56 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:

When exactly did you get the email? I don't want to lose this deal!!!