Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-14-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
"Well I wouldn't say I'll work there..."
lol

So bad. This is very unusual, to the point that I would expect they would easily identify you, that is assuming that the company springs for internet access at work. So, you might want to keep that in mind if you add more comments.

Oh, and agree that it's a red flag, but if you really did a full interview and liked everything else.... lots of good companies just have some goofy policy that makes no sense because somebody in HR had some hot-button issue that they thought they should make a rule about.

Last edited by Westley; 09-14-2017 at 12:46 AM..
Old 09-14-2017, 01:25 AM
CAS

Studying for many many stuffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life View Post
Gecko?
haha Jesus I heard that company pays really crap and is located in one of the pricey areas.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:28 AM
SOA

GEICO?
Old 09-14-2017, 01:28 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
haha Jesus I heard that company pays really crap and is located in one of the pricey areas.
i saw an internship opening there for $10/hour in atlanta last year...lol.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
lol

So bad. This is very unusual, to the point that I would expect they would easily identify you, that is assuming that the company springs for internet access at work. So, you might want to keep that in mind if you add more comments.

Oh, and agree that it's a red flag, but if you really did a full interview and liked everything else.... lots of good companies just have some goofy policy that makes no sense because somebody in HR had some hot-button issue that they thought they should make a rule about.
I'm not at that company. I'm at a company that makes me happy to work.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
No way that company is "large" then.
Large companies tend to have very structured interviews with pre-planned agendas. If they included lunch, they would have paid for it.

I also had an interview recently with a very big company. They sent an agenda. 2 hrs of interviewing with 8 different ppl (some 30 min interviews were with two ppl), then there was a 1 hr "thing" at the end. At first, I thought it was company tour or lunch with associates. Nope. It was an hr long business case assessment.

I literally thought I was going to collapse and faint on my way home (1.5 hrs commute from the company HQ to my home in a large city). Had hard time breathing from dehydration, hunger and 3 hrs of talking from series of questions thrown at me with no sufficient pauses in between.
This totally varies. I work for a huge company, possibly over 25,000 employees, but in a small department. While some of the actuarial departments have highly structured interviews with preplanned agendas, ours certainly doesn't. We send out anticipated interviewers but it's usually whoever is in the office and available.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
"Well I wouldn't say I'll work there..."
ctm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
lol

Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.

Last edited by Childish Gambino; 09-14-2017 at 10:34 AM..
Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 AM
CAS

I had an interview recently where I was scheduled for a full day of interviewing with an hour blocked out for lunch.

They sat me alone in a conference room with a boxed lunch from Panera and a diet Coke.
1) I can't eat wheat.
2) I hate diet Coke (really any diet drinks).

=> I had an apple and a bag of chips for lunch. So I twiddled my thumbs and tried not to fall asleep for 55 minutes.

This was really just the beginning of the odd behavior. In retrospect, I should've just told the receptionist that if there wasn't anything scheduled I'd just fend for myself for lunch, tyvm. In even more retrospect, I should've just strolled.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:09 AM
CAS

Studying for many many stuffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
i saw an internship opening there for $10/hour in atlanta last year...lol.
It's such an insult. I mean, the market is tough and they're leveraging based on that but come on...

Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM
CAS Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by working girl View Post
THIS is totally what I would do.
I think Colonel Smoothie meant that even the scenario where the interviewer paid for your lunch would be embarrassing (that is, it gives the candidate a poor impression about the company), albeit still less embarrassing than making you pay for your lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Looking for the company's side of the story, perhaps they had four-hour blocks scheduled for multiple candidates, yours happened to fall over the (traditional) lunch window, and they didn't want to treat you differently.
For that matter, they are treating her differently from the standpoint that they prioritized other candidates (in terms of schedule) and did not make up for the delay with respect to her. In other words, the company arbitrarily "values" others' time but not hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
We always schedule a lunch or dinner (or both) into the official interview - honestly, it's one of the more revealing parts of the interview in many cases.
That's horrible. I would want to be evaluated based on my skills set and my thought process rather than on how I socialize & discuss business while eating. If anything, leave that to sales positions.

Last edited by pragmatist; 09-14-2017 at 11:15 AM..