Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 09-26-2017, 07:27 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Studying for FM
College: University of Akron
Default Need advice

A little background...I'll be graduating in May 2018 with a BS in stats and a BA in Sociology. My GPA is 3.52. My MS Office skills are good, and I have a decent background in SAS, SPSS, and R. I have passed P (March 2016) and FM (October 2016), and will be sitting for MFE in March 2018. I was always half-committed to the career path. After being unsuccessful last fall in my search for an internship, I decided the exams weren't worth the entry-level saturation. Unfortunately, I have been "tossing in the wind", and don't know what to do. I will be taking MFE to hopefully keep the actuarial career path open.

This may or may not be the place for this, but I would really appreciate some career advice. If I do look for something other than actuarial, is an MS in Stats going to be necessary? Could I get my foot in the door at an insurance company, and try to switch departments after I get in?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:09 PM
SOA AAA

This is the place. in fact, most of your questions have already been answered, as they are somewhat frequent.
Answers to FAQs are found here:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ad.php?t=46382
It's long.

1. Start applying now for May/June positions.
2. Check your career center to see if anyone from any insurer is coming to your college looking for actuarial EL's.
3. Check Wooster and Cleveland schools (e.g. Case Western) for the same. See if you can get the name of the interviewer, then send your resume to that person.
4. Might not be the hotbed, but there is Medical Mutual Insurance in Cleveland. Assuming you want to stay somewhat local. And others. I used google.
5. If you are open to looking anywhere in the USA, then send your resume everywhere that you think you might want to work. Remember, you only need one offer (though two would be better).

Good luck. And yes, study and take your next exam. And work on your resume. And work on your interviewing skills.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:13 PM
SOA AAA

At "Simply Hired" web site, Willis Towers Watson has an opening (posted 13 days ago).
Now, I cannot tell if this is an immediate hire situation, or one that is willing to wait until May, but if you don't apply, 100% chance of no job offer. Need to get your name out there, so people will (positively) remember you.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:46 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Studying for FM
College: University of Akron

Thank you for your advice. I'll be sure to follow your suggestions.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:15 PM
CAS

Studying for many many stuffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
At "Simply Hired" web site, Willis Towers Watson has an opening (posted 13 days ago).
Now, I cannot tell if this is an immediate hire situation, or one that is willing to wait until May, but if you don't apply, 100% chance of no job offer. Need to get your name out there, so people will (positively) remember you.
Damn are you usually this nice and informative?
You always troll my threads...damn man.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:52 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
Usually.

[awkward pause, to let you wonder why you are singled out...]

I'll go do some research to see if you deserved any perceived trolling. I'm going to in biased though.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:57 PM
SOA AAA

OK, I found this one:

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...7&postcount=15

Not trolling (which I consider incorrect advice or trying to bait another into rage). Truthful though a bit mean in spirit. And you took it well. That was a pretty bad question on your part, though.
I posted prior in that thread in a joking way about being a baller and doing both interviews at the same time. I'll usually start making mirthy posts when the question has been answered.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:21 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
cause you ask too many questions that can be answered with common sense. We've been over this.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:23 PM
CAS

Old 09-27-2017, 10:51 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
I guess I'm being a troll now. Also, sorry to the OP for not addressing his/her question at all.