Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 09-14-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
It's such an insult. I mean, the market is tough and they're leveraging based on that but come on...
I don't think that's fair - they've had a consistent pay policy for a long time over various economic cycles, they're not "leveraging" (whatever that means in this context) off of a particularly tough market or anything. You can still consider it an insult tho, won't disagree there.

Would add that the Employment areas have traditionally avoided saying too much about individual employers. Nobody's crossed any line IMHO, but we're close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
If anything, leave that to sales positions.
All positions are sales positions.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:29 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Quote:

That's horrible. I would want to be evaluated based on my skills set and my thought process rather than on how I socialize & discuss business while eating. If anything, leave that to sales positions.
I think the intent is to see how good of a "fit" your personality would be in the department. If everyone is really social and loud, then you might not fit in very well.

I don't know, I like the idea (we do something similar where I am). It helps you get a feel (albeit a small one) of how the person is in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:29 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
That's horrible. I would want to be evaluated based on my skills set and my thought process rather than on how I socialize & discuss business while eating. If anything, leave that to sales positions.
Well, that's the reality of any interview that includes lunch. It's not like a jury trial where your hosts are instructed to disregard anything that happens or is said over lunch. This is also an opportunity for the interviewers to determine if you're someone they could stand to work with on a daily basis.

FWIW, most of my interview lunches have been pretty informal. We may discuss aspects of the company, but it's also more personal/casual conversation.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:30 AM
CAS

Studying for many many stuffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post

Would add that the Employment areas have traditionally avoided saying too much about individual employers. Nobody's crossed any line IMHO, but we're close.

All positions are sales positions.
Yeah and I don't care

Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilekOyote View Post
I had an interview recently where I was scheduled for a full day of interviewing with an hour blocked out for lunch.

They sat me alone in a conference room with a boxed lunch from Panera and a diet Coke.
1) I can't eat wheat.
2) I hate diet Coke (really any diet drinks).

=> I had an apple and a bag of chips for lunch. So I twiddled my thumbs and tried not to fall asleep for 55 minutes.

This was really just the beginning of the odd behavior. In retrospect, I should've just told the receptionist that if there wasn't anything scheduled I'd just fend for myself for lunch, tyvm. In even more retrospect, I should've just strolled.
I'd think that if you had celiac or whatever and knew you were gonna be there for lunch, you'd have mentioned it beforehand. I'd think you should know how it takes some planning as someone who eats wheat-free every day. I think it's kind of dickish to not say anything in advance, then be annoyed at what you get.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:35 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Unless you can send one COD. Then definitely send a fruit basket.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM
SOA

lol now that everyones bagging.....

I had an interview a couple weeks ago that was also a bit unusual.

I was scheduled to go to lunch with 2 actuarial students... they asked me where I wanted to go, and I said anywhere with vegetarian food is good. They took me to korean bbq lol. Also they have one of those 2 door cars, so I had to get in the back getting in by squeezing through the front seat. Weird experience...
Old 09-14-2017, 12:48 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
I'd think that if you had celiac or whatever and knew you were gonna be there for lunch, you'd have mentioned it beforehand. I'd think you should know how it takes some planning as someone who eats wheat-free every day. I think it's kind of dickish to not say anything in advance, then be annoyed at what you get.
Typically, if you go to lunch, they have a menu where one could choose what they want. I get the impression they didn't even get to choose the Panera sandwich.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post

I was scheduled to go to lunch with 2 actuarial students... they asked me where I wanted to go, and I said anywhere with vegetarian food is good. They took me to korean bbq lol. Also they have one of those 2 door cars, so I had to get in the back getting in by squeezing through the front seat. Weird experience...
That one actually sounds pretty par for the course. They send you out to eat with potential coworkers who sometimes are socially clueless. Don't know what the restaurants nearby are like 'cause they always brown bag and/or don't understand non-traditional diets. And the car thing is also typical. "Whose car are we taking?" "I don't want to take the car seats out of mine." "I've got too much crap in my back seat." "Guess it'll have to be Bob's."

Not every person you interview with will be nerdy, but there are plenty of nerds out there. As a candidate, this gives you a feel for how nerdy your potential coworkers are at this place, and whether it bothers you or not.

A corporate policy to not schedule a lunch break and not pay for a candidate's meal, is a much bigger red flag to me.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:56 PM
CAS

Studying for many many stuffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post

Hmmmm korean bbq