Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:29 AM
BruteForce's Avatar
BruteForce BruteForce is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier
Posts: 11,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post

That's horrible. I would want to be evaluated based on my skills set and my thought process rather than on how I socialize & discuss business while eating. If anything, leave that to sales positions.
I think the intent is to see how good of a "fit" your personality would be in the department. If everyone is really social and loud, then you might not fit in very well.

I don't know, I like the idea (we do something similar where I am). It helps you get a feel (albeit a small one) of how the person is in general.
__________________
ASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:29 AM
MG's Avatar
MG MG is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
That's horrible. I would want to be evaluated based on my skills set and my thought process rather than on how I socialize & discuss business while eating. If anything, leave that to sales positions.
Well, that's the reality of any interview that includes lunch. It's not like a jury trial where your hosts are instructed to disregard anything that happens or is said over lunch. This is also an opportunity for the interviewers to determine if you're someone they could stand to work with on a daily basis.

FWIW, most of my interview lunches have been pretty informal. We may discuss aspects of the company, but it's also more personal/casual conversation.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:30 AM
ronaldy27's Avatar
ronaldy27 ronaldy27 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 'Murica
Studying for the credential
Posts: 3,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post

Would add that the Employment areas have traditionally avoided saying too much about individual employers. Nobody's crossed any line IMHO, but we're close.




All positions are sales positions.
Yeah and I don't care
__________________
Spoiler - for size:



Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 PM
vjvj's Avatar
vjvj vjvj is offline
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IL
Studying for MFE
Posts: 7,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilekOyote View Post
I had an interview recently where I was scheduled for a full day of interviewing with an hour blocked out for lunch.

They sat me alone in a conference room with a boxed lunch from Panera and a diet Coke.
1) I can't eat wheat.
2) I hate diet Coke (really any diet drinks).

=> I had an apple and a bag of chips for lunch. So I twiddled my thumbs and tried not to fall asleep for 55 minutes.


This was really just the beginning of the odd behavior. In retrospect, I should've just told the receptionist that if there wasn't anything scheduled I'd just fend for myself for lunch, tyvm. In even more retrospect, I should've just strolled.
I'd think that if you had celiac or whatever and knew you were gonna be there for lunch, you'd have mentioned it beforehand. I'd think you should know how it takes some planning as someone who eats wheat-free every day. I think it's kind of dickish to not say anything in advance, then be annoyed at what you get.
__________________
.
SUPPORT CHILDREN'S CANCER RESEARCH

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Please help this great cause and make a donation!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Clem Koi Clem Koi is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Unless you can send one COD. Then definitely send a fruit basket.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM
royevans royevans is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 466
Default

lol now that everyones bagging.....

I had an interview a couple weeks ago that was also a bit unusual.

I was scheduled to go to lunch with 2 actuarial students... they asked me where I wanted to go, and I said anywhere with vegetarian food is good. They took me to korean bbq lol. Also they have one of those 2 door cars, so I had to get in the back getting in by squeezing through the front seat. Weird experience...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:48 PM
exponentialpi's Avatar
exponentialpi exponentialpi is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Po
Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
I'd think that if you had celiac or whatever and knew you were gonna be there for lunch, you'd have mentioned it beforehand. I'd think you should know how it takes some planning as someone who eats wheat-free every day. I think it's kind of dickish to not say anything in advance, then be annoyed at what you get.
Typically, if you go to lunch, they have a menu where one could choose what they want. I get the impression they didn't even get to choose the Panera sandwich.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Maine-iac's Avatar
Maine-iac Maine-iac is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: The Pine Tree State
Favorite beer: Wine
Posts: 34,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
lol now that everyones bagging.....

I had an interview a couple weeks ago that was also a bit unusual.

I was scheduled to go to lunch with 2 actuarial students... they asked me where I wanted to go, and I said anywhere with vegetarian food is good. They took me to korean bbq lol. Also they have one of those 2 door cars, so I had to get in the back getting in by squeezing through the front seat. Weird experience...
That one actually sounds pretty par for the course. They send you out to eat with potential coworkers who sometimes are socially clueless. Don't know what the restaurants nearby are like 'cause they always brown bag and/or don't understand non-traditional diets. And the car thing is also typical. "Whose car are we taking?" "I don't want to take the car seats out of mine." "I've got too much crap in my back seat." "Guess it'll have to be Bob's."

Not every person you interview with will be nerdy, but there are plenty of nerds out there. As a candidate, this gives you a feel for how nerdy your potential coworkers are at this place, and whether it bothers you or not.

A corporate policy to not schedule a lunch break and not pay for a candidate's meal, is a much bigger red flag to me.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:56 PM
ronaldy27's Avatar
ronaldy27 ronaldy27 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 'Murica
Studying for the credential
Posts: 3,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royevans View Post
lol now that everyones bagging.....

I had an interview a couple weeks ago that was also a bit unusual.

I was scheduled to go to lunch with 2 actuarial students... they asked me where I wanted to go, and I said anywhere with vegetarian food is good. They took me to korean bbq lol. Also they have one of those 2 door cars, so I had to get in the back getting in by squeezing through the front seat. Weird experience...
Hmmmm korean bbq
__________________
Spoiler - for size:



Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-14-2017, 01:02 PM
mathmajor's Avatar
mathmajor mathmajor is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nowhere in particular
Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit
Posts: 9,651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilekOyote View Post
I had an interview recently where I was scheduled for a full day of interviewing with an hour blocked out for lunch.

They sat me alone in a conference room with a boxed lunch from Panera and a diet Coke.
1) I can't eat wheat.
2) I hate diet Coke (really any diet drinks).

=> I had an apple and a bag of chips for lunch. So I twiddled my thumbs and tried not to fall asleep for 55 minutes.


This was really just the beginning of the odd behavior. In retrospect, I should've just told the receptionist that if there wasn't anything scheduled I'd just fend for myself for lunch, tyvm. In even more retrospect, I should've just strolled.
Are you serious? If I sit for 20 minutes for nothing, I'm gone. That's complete disrespect for your time. If you were an hour late, would the interviewers sit around waiting for you? Doubtful.

If you want good candidates, sell the job, yourselves and the company. If you want desperate people, pull these shenanigans.
__________________
FSA
Opinions are provided for entertainment purposes only and are no substitute for professional guidance.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.27163 seconds with 9 queries